Hiii Head-Fiers! Glad to Join the Community!
Sep 25, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #16 of 227
  No welcomes to the universe of audio or suggestions for the newcomer? Kenzie be sad. :[

Welcome 
smile.gif
 I'd love to help but I know very little about soundcards, I switched to external DAC/amp and haven't looked back ever since. I game too and it works perfectly for that since I don't wanna alter the audio with dolby. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #17 of 227
Heyy pbui44, thanks for the welcome. Wallet? I don't recall budget being a problem haha.

I have read quite a bit about these meets. The problems are not only am I publicly shy an insecure about meeting strangers but I don't think my doctors would recommend I do any traveling. Not to get too personal but I have a lung disease, so I'm stuck indoors most of the time. I also live on Vancouver island, which makes accessing the majority of Canada even more difficult. I might be able to attend one in Victoria as that is not too far away, but I will probably be advised against that as well by medical professionals.

The wallet quote can be for the future as well, as you might recall this quote in the future when you may possibly get carried away. I know I have. :wink:

Oh wow, that is a rather tough medical condition to have in itself. In this case, I would understand fully that you could not make it to any meet for this reason. Someone might Skype for you, though. Technology is always surpassing itself.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #18 of 227

The Q701 would certainly benefit from an external DAC and amp, for music at least.  For gaming not so much.  The Schiit Modi 2 (Uber) DAC or a JDS Labs ODAC, along with a Schiit Vali amp, seem to be popular pairings for the Q701.

Wow. That Modi 2 Uber model looks really good. >< Looking at the various models on their website: http://schiit.com/products

I'm guessing the higher prices in the same category mean.. better quality? Longer lifespans? What would you say are the most significant differences? (out of their amps and DACs)

Besides Schiit, what other reputable companies are out there for these types of products? A link to their websites would be even better.

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #20 of 227

Welcome 
smile.gif
 I'd love to help but I know very little about soundcards, I switched to external DAC/amp and haven't looked back ever since. I game too and it works perfectly for that since I don't wanna alter the audio with dolby. 

Thank you!

That's understandable. Do you also prefer to use headphones/set more than 99% of the time?

So, how exactly does the DAC/amp combo improve the sound I'd typically hear? Is it simply clearer or louder, what are the significant differences?

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #21 of 227

Wow. That Modi 2 Uber model looks really good. >< Looking at the various models on their website: http://schiit.com/products

I'm guessing the higher prices in the same category mean.. better quality? Longer lifespans? What would you say are the most significant differences? (out of their amps and DACs)

Besides Schiit, what other reputable companies are out there for these types of products? A link to their websites would be even better.

I haven't heard their stuff personally, but there are a lot of Schiitheads around here that can give you a more detailed comparison.  But you're right, the Bifrost for example should sound better than the Modi, the Gungnir better than the Bifrost and Modi, the Yggdrasil better than all.

JDS Labs is popular too: https://www.jdslabs.com/store#featured

As is Audio-GD: http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm

And Cambridge Audio who is more established but more pricey generally: https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/

There are plenty of others, although I can't think of other popular sub $300 DACs.

Better DAC will result in more detailed sound, possibly throughout the entire spectrum, and better sound stage.  

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #22 of 227
The wallet quote can be for the future as well, as you might recall this quote in the future when you may possibly get carried away. I know I have.
wink.gif

Oh wow, that is a rather tough medical condition to have in itself. In this case, I would understand fully that you could not make it to any meet for this reason. Someone might Skype for you, though. Technology is always surpassing itself.

Oh hahaha, I get it now. Yeah I'm not the brightest lightbulb, I'm sorry. >< Some of these components I see can get extremely expensive. I'm already planning to have a collection of headphones for specific uses, I just need to identify the differences and come to terms with my hearing, being able to  actually notice them.

It's alright, you get used to it after a while. Skype would work, just I don't know how drastically that could potentially affect the quality, which would be a main, if not the main reason I'd attend one of those meets.

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #23 of 227
  Audio-gd makes some very good stuff with good pricing: http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm

Checking into them now, is this the brand you prefer, which is your favorite?

I haven't heard their stuff personally, but there are a lot of Schiitheads around here that can give you a more detailed comparison.  But you're right, the Bifrost for example should sound better than the Modi, the Gungnir better than the Bifrost and Modi, the Yggdrasil better than all.

JDS Labs is popular too: https://www.jdslabs.com/store#featured

As is Audio-GD: http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm

And Cambridge Audio who is more established but more pricey generally: https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/

There are plenty of others, although I can't think of other popular sub $300 DACs.

Better DAC will result in more detailed sound, possibly throughout the entire spectrum, and better sound stage.  

Hmm, better sound stage. I hear that will help with competitive 3D games, particularly FPS. More detailed sound potentially throughout the entire spectrum. Okay, now that tells me I should definitely save up and invest in a good DAC and Amp. Now we're getting somewhere haha. Shame I can't just magically test all of these from my home, but this isn't wonderland.

Thank you for the links, I'm checking into them now, Audio-GD at the moment.

I suppose this brings another question about the devices. Assuming that I do stick with headphones all the time, would there be much point in going passed the $500 price point per device? Wouldn't those be more suitable for large multi-channel speaker setups?

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #24 of 227
I have been reading reviews about several of these products from amazon and their official websites. There are a lot of terms I still don't understand like 'warmth' but from what I think I get, I want neutral sound. If that means accurate without a hard-pressed signature that either booms the bass or makes aggressive of the treble, what I think I would want most is accuracy with every pin-dropping detail I can get.

Given that is the case, would anyone agree that this would be a good pair to save up for? Or could you suggest a better combination for neutral, accurate sound?

C5 headphone amplifier from JDS Labs, and the Bitfrost DAC from Schiit.

I am willing to spend $300+ on an amplifier as well, so if you know of a significantly improved one than those C5s please let me know. By significantly I mean actually worth paying more than $150 for, considering my needs of primarily gaming with some music listening.

What is the difference between standard analog stage and uber? I see there is a $50 jump in price, which is negligible if the quality is significantly superior.

It also gives me an option to add USB inputs for $100 more, but this would be useless if I use optical out from my sound card, yeah?

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #25 of 227

Thank you for the links, I'm checking into them now, Audio-GD at the moment.

I suppose this brings another question about the devices. Assuming that I do stick with headphones all the time, would there be much point in going passed the $500 price point per device? Wouldn't those be more suitable for large multi-channel speaker setups?

Pretty much all of this Hi-Fi audiophile stuff is stereo music listening.  Multi-channel is for home theaters and gaming, and for that we use A/V receivers (high end ones feature very nice internal DACs).

Quote:
  I have been reading reviews about several of these products from amazon and their official websites. There are a lot of terms I still don't understand like 'warmth' but from what I think I get, I want neutral sound. If that means accurate without a hard-pressed signature that either booms the bass or makes aggressive of the treble, what I think I would want most is accuracy with every pin-dropping detail I can get.

Given that is the case, would anyone agree that this would be a good pair to save up for? Or could you suggest a better combination for neutral, accurate sound?

C5 headphone amplifier from JDS Labs, and the Bitfrost DAC from Schiit.

I am willing to spend $300+ on an amplifier as well, so if you know of a significantly improved one than those C5s please let me know. By significantly I mean actually worth paying more than $150 for, considering my needs of primarily gaming with some music listening.

What is the difference between standard analog stage and uber? I see there is a $50 jump in price, which is negligible if the quality is significantly superior.

It also gives me an option to add USB inputs for $100 more, but this would be useless if I use optical out from my sound card, yeah?

For terminology, see this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

The headphone is the most important piece of gear, and you have a very nice one right now.  The Schiit Bifrost Uber is said to sound much better than the regular.  I'm also going to be buying a DAC in that price range; the Bifrost Uber was one of my considerations, as was the Gustard X12, but I have instead settled on the Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III.  Jolida is a brand that's well established in the Hi-Fi speaker world, and I find that these types of companies are the ones who use the highest quality internal components.  Lots of others like Gustard and even Schiit use lower quality made in China capacitors, resistors, mosfets, etc.

Indeed if you're using optical SPDIF out from your sound card, then you won't need USB inputs on the DAC.  Also, an amplifier is generally a more significant upgrade than a DAC.  But as far as gaming goes a sound card is all you really need.  My DAC does indeed have sound stage improvements over my sound card, but it's only noticeable when listening to music, not for gaming.  If you're someone who does 80% gaming and 20% music then you might want to just settle for a Schiit Modi 2 + Magni 2 or Vali.

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #26 of 227
Thank you again Rhamnetin, I've given the terminology thread a view. Accurate is definitely appealing to me, but I don't see anything for neutral so I'm still not sure what exactly that term means, rather if I'm even using it appropriately. I definitely don't want warm if it sweetens the highs or yields excessive bass. Body, Natural, Full, Lush and Rich all sound like they'll compliment accuracy well.

Headphones are what I heard to be the most important, so that's why I got good ones first alongside the audio card, just need a closed back pair and I'll be good to go while I build up a collection. The DAC/Amp will come to follow soon as I have come to a conclusive decision on the pair I want to get. Thank you for sharing your choices and what you went with.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I'll be researching my little behind off for the next month or two while I render a decision. Please if anyone else would recommend any combinations for DAC and headphone amplifier considering the above type of sound I believe I'd like the most, I'd be happy to read them and look into the products! ^^;

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #27 of 227
Neutral is associated with linear frequency response.  See here:

https://static.gearslutz.com/board/imgext.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimg685.imageshack.us%2Fimg685%2F4913%2F880990compare.png&h=ac1e7a4767d341f6e29fbf273035c6e6

The DT 880 on that graph has a more linear frequency response while the DT 990 has a huge bass hump and more treble response.  So with the DT 990 you have more bass, more treble, and I'm guessing the bass would overpower the mids.  The Q701 is also pretty neutral based on its frequency response, but it is said to have more warmth than the K701 and K702.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/a/a9/a95d9174_AKG20Freq.png

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #28 of 227
Very interesting. Thanks for explaining, the graphs were helpful. Not sure if I understand that right but it appears the Q701s lose a lot of their neutrality toward the higher frequencies. Also not sure if I should use the term neutral, natural, or generally less modified sound in the sense I'm trying to imply. I guess that will come with time and using different headphones and devices to be able to compare them better.

My Q701s just arrived today! I am very much enjoying the sound of them so far, I need to listen to a few more of my favorites from various genres to give a good opinion on them. I can tell there is so much potential untapped. I can definitely hear though, they are immensely superior to my cheap headset with on-board audio. I am absolutely loving this.
smily_headphones1.gif
-melts in seat listening to music happily-

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #29 of 227
  Very interesting. Thanks for explaining, the graphs were helpful. Not sure if I understand that right but it appears the Q701s lose a lot of their neutrality toward the higher frequencies. Also not sure if I should use the term neutral, natural, or generally less modified sound in the sense I'm trying to imply. I guess that will come with time and using different headphones and devices to be able to compare them better.

My Q701s just arrived today! I am very much enjoying the sound of them so far, I need to listen to a few more of my favorites from various genres to give a good opinion on them. I can tell there is so much potential untapped. I can definitely hear though, they are immensely superior to my cheap headset with on-board audio. I am absolutely loving this.
smily_headphones1.gif
-melts in seat listening to music happily-

Keep in mind no headphone will have a perfectly linear (as in literally a flat line) frequency response.  For reference, the Sennheiser HD 800 might have the most linear.  

Have fun with your Q701.  I plan to get its sibling, the K7xx once it's available again.  

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #30 of 227
I will, thank you again for your helpful advices. I'll do plenty of research and review scoping to try and find the best DAC/ Amplifier combination for my needs.

And yeah, perfectly flat would be impossible I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back