Hiii Head-Fiers! Glad to Join the Community!
Oct 8, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #181 of 227

If you want to see Lord of the Rings in video game format, see Dragon Age: Origins.  Yeah not Shadow of Mordor.  Also with the right mods it looks insanely good for a 2009 game, and then I get well over 100 FPS in it for good measure.

100 frames with a single GTX 980? I guess that rests my worries since I carefully decided on my mods and didn't want to overburden my hardware. Must be his render and flora mods. Making rekt of your card, Bradley. Hmm.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #182 of 227

It's a rather notorious Gamebryo/Creative engine limitation, with physics being tied to frame rate.  I can run > 60 FPS just fine in Morrowind though since it barely has any dynamic physics effects.  Let's hope Fallout 4 doesn't exhibit the same issue.

I'll hope so for your sake, but I've never tried fallout. I tried one of the older ones with hexagon tiles if I recall correctly, I couldn't get into it at all, it just didn't fly with me. Perhaps it was impatience, or just not engaging enough of a bring-in for me to that series or style of game.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #183 of 227

100 frames with a single GTX 980? I guess that rests my worries since I carefully decided on my mods and didn't want to overburden my hardware. Must be his render and flora mods. Making rekt of your card, Bradley. Hmm.

That would be > 100 FPS in modded Dragon Age: Origins.  I get 60 on the dot in modded Skyrim (close to 100 mods) since I leave it capped there to avoid having random objects and creatures flying across the map.

Quote:

I'll hope so for your sake, but I've never tried fallout. I tried one of the older ones with hexagon tiles if I recall correctly, I couldn't get into it at all, it just didn't fly with me. Perhaps it was impatience, or just not engaging enough of a bring-in for me to that series or style of game.

Yeah I have the same problem with Fallout and Fallout 2.  It takes like 10 minutes to kill an ant.  No thanks.  You should try Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4 though.  If you like The Elder Scrolls and are okay with a post-apocalyptic setting then you should love these.  They're much more dialogue driven than TES which is the only RPG franchise I play in which dialogue hardly matters (especially Skyrim).  

New Vegas was developed by a different studio and as a result it has a less detailed world (improved upon with mods), but significantly better and deeper writing (especially in the DLC).

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #184 of 227
That would be > 100 FPS in modded Dragon Age: Origins.  I get 60 on the dot in modded Skyrim since I leave it capped there to avoid having random objects and creatures flying across the map.  
Yeah I have the same problem with Fallout and Fallout 2.  It takes like 10 minutes to kill an ant.  No thanks.  You should try Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4 though.  If you like The Elder Scrolls and are okay with a post-apocalyptic setting then you should love these.  They're much more dialogue driven than TES which is the only RPG franchise I play in which dialogue hardly matters (especially Skyrim).  

New Vegas was developed by a different studio and as a result it has a less detailed world (improved upon with mods), but significantly better and deeper writing (especially in the DLC).

Ohh I see, Dragon Age, yeah I don't know why I slipped Skyrim being in the same sentence as the 100 frames but that would've been nice. I guess back to doubting Skyrim will be the best game to make an example of the 980 Ti's performance without having to downsize my mod setup. I guess I'll test it out when the time comes to be sure and also look for any wonky physics passed 60 frames.

Huge fan of post-apocalyptic settings, I love zombie games too on that note. Nice to know that 3, NV and 4 are different 'cause yeah, the first was just awful to start in my opinion. I will certainly check into the sequels with this information!

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #185 of 227
Yayy it arrived! Yamaha RX-V377 get! Sure is heavy. n.n;;

My dad just ordered a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitor v7 bookshelf speakers for me and they are on their way! He said I should see about getting a better center channel so it fits better with my monitor setup and isn't behind the screen.. I guess that was a decent suggestion.

I have also ordered myself a Magni 2 Uber amplifier and Modi 2 Uber D-A converter from Schiit and they are also on their way!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good center channel or surround channels to go with the 5.1 system?

Also can anyone recommend a good pair of closed back headphones that have high accuracy and soundstage and is also not too bass shy?

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #186 of 227
Also can anyone recommend a good pair of closed back headphones that have high accuracy and soundstage and is also not too bass shy?

Considering you have to be indoors all the time and you are on some kind of a budget...check out the Sony MDR-Z7. Here is a place with a good deal on one that should have the full warranty:

http://www.razordogaudio.com/products/sony-mdr-z7-hi-res-over-the-ear-stereo-headphones-store-demo?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=1535424324&gclid=CjwKEAjw1_KwBRDEz_WvncL4jGwSJAAEym0dovDjzmJst8JH9eNtSKh6pepBCHWwCWQ-bC6POgkjqhoC3-Xw_wcB

If you do not need detachable cables, Razor Dog Audio also has a Fostex TH-600 for $469, though the detachable cables on the Z7 can be upgraded without soldering.

Edit: If you are really on a budget, get the Audio Technica ATH-A900X:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B005TCZIQA/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1444781847&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=ath+a&dpPl=1&dpID=41qImU%2BJScL&ref=plSrch

Add some generic Denon D2000 ear pads here:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00WJFQZ3A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1444781775&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Denon+d2000+ear+pads&dpPl=1&dpID=31sxcuc7hQL&ref=plSrch

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #187 of 227
Just a note: I have tried the ATH-A900X and stock D2000 ear pads setup and it is supremely comfortable and fitting for my ears and head, plus it gives the soundstage more height.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #188 of 227
  Yayy it arrived! Yamaha RX-V377 get! Sure is heavy. n.n;;

My dad just ordered a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitor v7 bookshelf speakers for me and they are on their way! He said I should see about getting a better center channel so it fits better with my monitor setup and isn't behind the screen.. I guess that was a decent suggestion.

I have also ordered myself a Magni 2 Uber amplifier and Modi 2 Uber D-A converter from Schiit and they are also on their way!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good center channel or surround channels to go with the 5.1 system?

I'd go for a matching set: Paradigm Center 1 v7 or Center 3 v7 and Surround 1 v7 or Surround 3 v7.

Accurate closed back headphone with good sound stage... try the Beyerdynamic DT 1770, Audio Technica ATH-M70X, or ATH-A2000X (which probably requires you to attach a thick rubber band to the headband wings to keep them together).  Fostex is anything but accurate sounding (they're colored/fun sounding) and they have some sound stage width but are still very two dimensional and closed in.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #189 of 227

I'd recommend checking out the Mr. Speakers Mad Dog and Audio Technica ATH-M70x.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #190 of 227
If you do not need detachable cables, Razor Dog Audio also has a Fostex TH-600 for $469, though the detachable cables on the Z7 can be upgraded without soldering.

Detachable isn't necessary but it is a very nice option to have. From what I'm gathering about the TH-600s, they have quite a dressed up fancier sound which would conflict with accuracy, yes?

I'd go for a matching set: Paradigm Center 1 v7 or Center 3 v7 and Surround 1 v7 or Surround 3 v7.

Accurate closed back headphone with good sound stage... try the Beyerdynamic DT 1770, Audio Technica ATH-M70X, or ATH-A2000X (which probably requires you to attach a thick rubber band to the headband wings to keep them together).  Fostex is anything but accurate sounding (they're colored/fun sounding) and they have some sound stage width but are still very two dimensional and closed in.

Regarding the Paradigm Center channel units, what is the difference that I'm not seeing between 1 and 3 besides the $440 and $700 (CAD) price tags? I guess the answer would also reflect on the same question for the surrounds.

Is it size of the units themselves? The sonic power magnitude? Forgive my silly questions but I really would like to know if the expensive versions actually justify their significant price differences in quality or any other attributes a newbie like me could benefit from learning. Seems like you may be able to tell me from experience?

I'd recommend checking out the Mr. Speakers Mad Dog and Audio Technica ATH-M70x.

Both of you recommend a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M70x headphones, I'm definitely going to be checking into them for the next couple of weeks and may just decide on them sooner than expected, but the M50xs are looking good as a more bassy substitute. Hmm!

Perhaps my judgement of the size and material of them is a little off, are they over ears design?

Do either of you have experience listening through these?

Do they touch your ears? Assuming they are over ear of course.

Is the leather-looking material comfortable for extended periods of time? It gets very hot where I am and I absolutely hate the ear area of my head sticking to my leather-like headset cups, it reeeeally~ irritates my skin.

Also, I'm reading about people saying these 'phones are bass shy? Is that an unfortunate trade of accuracy or perhaps neutrality? Is it even true at all?

The only decent headphones I have experience with so far, and not very much of it, are the AKG Q701s but I do find (straight up only with the headphones and computer sound card and that's all so far) that I have to up the lower frequencies in the EQ to be able to simply hear the bass like I would on my gaming headset, to where I actually feel the sound impact in my head if you can understand what I'm saying by that.

With and without these slight +1 to +4 decibel tweaks on the lower frequencies I also seem to find certain sounds and effects drown out other sounds and effects and make them harder to hear. On my gaming headset I never noticed this, because I'm pretty sure they don't have this problem. What do you think is up with the AKG cans? Could they just be seemingly inferior in these drowning out qualities without the aid of additional equipment or is a $40 cheap gaming headset getting the better of my cans for letting me hear all sounds in musical architecture equally without drowning each other out? I will admit hands down the quality of the sound is far superior on the cans but yeah I guess you could say I'm tuning in to more potential flaws in comparison to what I've been used to for a long time?

(I'm sorry for that confusingly written mess, I tried to make it as straightforward as possible)

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #191 of 227
Regarding the Paradigm Center channel units, what is the difference that I'm not seeing between 1 and 3 besides the $440 and $700 (CAD) price tags? I guess the answer would also reflect on the same question for the surrounds.

Is it size of the units themselves? The sonic power magnitude? Forgive my silly questions but I really would like to know if the expensive versions actually justify their significant price differences in quality or any other attributes a newbie like me could benefit from learning. Seems like you may be able to tell me from experience?

Both of you recommend a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M70x headphones, I'm definitely going to be checking into them for the next couple of weeks and may just decide on them sooner than expected, but the M50xs are looking good as a more bassy substitute. Hmm!

Looks like the only differences between the Paradigm 1 and 3 are what you predicted: bigger drivers.  Bigger and probably a tiny bit better, not really worth it especially with your close proximity.

I've never heard the M70X, but it's designed for monitoring and meant to be more neutral than the M50X.  For what it's worth, AKG and Beyerdynamic are some of the most used closed headphones for monitoring/mixing, where accuracy is key.  A lot of them are bass light though, like the DT 660, so pick carefully.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #192 of 227

Looks like the only differences between the Paradigm 1 and 3 are what you predicted: bigger drivers.  Bigger and probably a tiny bit better, not really worth it especially with your close proximity.

I've never heard the M70X, but it's designed for monitoring and meant to be more neutral than the M50X.  For what it's worth, AKG and Beyerdynamic are some of the most used closed headphones for monitoring/mixing, where accuracy is key.  A lot of them are bass light though, like the DT 660, so pick carefully.

Heyy, thanks for the reply again. 1 is probably more suitable for my small bedroom then. Even if the prices were reversed I have a feeling they would remain the most suitable, if the driver sizes are pretty much the only difference.

I'll bet I'm using the wrong terminology then. I probably shouldn't be using neutral/accurate while I bet the term I should be using is clarity, detailed and high quality? Kinda like when you would use the terms like crisp, clear, flawless and HD etc. for graphics?

Soundstage, hearing specific instruments and sounds in determinable positions relative to each other - sort of thing, but also soundstage width, that much I can definitely feel in the Q701s.

Not a really "warm" dressed or largely modified signature but something that will bring the bass to life like an average gaming headset seems to or perhaps ever so slightly more than that, and of course where one sound or instrument isn't drowning out other parts of a classical piece or song like I suspect these Q701s are doing. Especially in certain vg tracks.

Any ideas why I am having difficulty hearing certain sound effects or instruments because other ones are overstepping them at the same time? This was not a problem with my cheap gaming headset. Could it be that I have not received my amp or DAC yet? I guess I should polish my equalizer settings to find out which frequencies are overpowering on average and try to balance them a little better.

Leaning towards the Audio Technica ATH-M50x pair so far, for closed back.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #193 of 227

Heyy, thanks for the reply again. 1 is probably more suitable for my small bedroom then. Even if the prices were reversed I have a feeling they would remain the most suitable, if the driver sizes are pretty much the only difference.

I'll bet I'm using the wrong terminology then. I probably shouldn't be using neutral/accurate while I bet the term I should be using is clarity, detailed and high quality? Kinda like when you would use the terms like crisp, clear, flawless and HD etc. for graphics?

Soundstage, hearing specific instruments and sounds in determinable positions relative to each other - sort of thing, but also soundstage width, that much I can definitely feel in the Q701s.

Not a really "warm" dressed or largely modified signature but something that will bring the bass to life like an average gaming headset seems to or perhaps ever so slightly more than that, and of course where one sound or instrument isn't drowning out other parts of a classical piece or song like I suspect these Q701s are doing. Especially in certain vg tracks.

Any ideas why I am having difficulty hearing certain sound effects or instruments because other ones are overstepping them at the same time? This was not a problem with my cheap gaming headset. Could it be that I have not received my amp or DAC yet? I guess I should polish my equalizer settings to find out which frequencies are overpowering on average and try to balance them a little better.

Leaning towards the Audio Technica ATH-M50x pair so far, for closed back.

You probably know this but I'll point out that no closed headphone will come close to the Q701 in any sound stage dimension.  Here's a good question: do you want this closed headphone to sound similar to your Q701?  You mentioned what sounds like lacking instrument separation with the Q701, and yes that has got to be the lack of a good DAC and especially amp.  I suggest getting a good DAC and amp, which (along with using decent music files and disabling all sound card optimizations) will take the Q701 to a completely different level in music.  This will give you a good idea of where you want to go from there.

As for equalizing, this is the way to do it.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Not sure if you were following that guide.  I've been too lazy to try it myself but that will probably change this weekend or next, or the one after that...

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #194 of 227
  You probably know this but I'll point out that no closed headphone will come close to the Q701 in any sound stage dimension.  Here's a good question: do you want this closed headphone to sound similar to your Q701?  You mentioned what sounds like lacking instrument separation with the Q701, and yes that has got to be the lack of a good DAC and especially amp.  I suggest getting a good DAC and amp, which (along with using decent music files and disabling all sound card optimizations) will take the Q701 to a completely different level in music.  This will give you a good idea of where you want to go from there.

As for equalizing, this is the way to do it.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Not sure if you were following that guide.  I've been too lazy to try it myself but that will probably change this weekend or next, or the one after that...

I do realize with closed back I am more than likely losing quite a bit of soundstage, yes. At least in theory from research. Losing the out-of-headphones ambiance in reality will be a worthy tradeoff, but having both an open and closed pair is the goal just for this reason, to be able to harvest the advantages of both on a situational basis.

I'll await for the amplifier and DAC to get here patiently then, thanks for the advice. All optimizations are disabled for music but even gaming I am preferring the natural stereo experience, I can judge positions just fine with that.

Also another issue I have been noticing, which is also not present at all on my cheap gaming headset. I hear crackling on the occasional audio tracks. Particularly when a lot of pitches and chords are going at the same time, usually on the lower or higher frequencies. Just crackling.. sort of like a crinkling bag or static on an old television set, like the audio is rapidly cutting off or being overwhelmed I don't know how to explain it. Happens on about 5%-10% of all music that I listen to at roughly 60% volume. Please tell me this is also likely the lack of the amp and dac? Happens both with and without EQ alterations active on the same specific music always.

I'll check out that EQ guide now, thank you hehe ^^;

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #195 of 227

Also another issue I have been noticing, which is also not present at all on my cheap gaming headset. I hear crackling on the occasional audio tracks. Particularly when a lot of pitches and chords are going at the same time, usually on the lower or higher frequencies. Just crackling.. sort of like a crinkling bag or static on an old television set, like the audio is rapidly cutting off or being overwhelmed I don't know how to explain it. Happens on about 5%-10% of all music that I listen to at roughly 60% volume. Please tell me this is also likely the lack of the amp and dac? Happens both with and without EQ alterations active on the same specific music always.

Hmm... we're gonna need the whole jury out on this one.  Considering you don't have this problem on the cheap gaming headset, I can't imagine this being related to DAC/amp at all.  I've only had issues like this with some kind of interference, faulty drivers or a failing DAC/sound card, or as a glitch that's fixed when rebooting the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back