Highly Recommend Solid state amp for Grado?
Jun 8, 2007 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

munkong

Member of the Trade: Munkong Gadget
Hi all,

what Solid state amp is very Highly Recommend for all Grado ?
I want to buy one for my Grado!

now I have Mapletree HD+purist, it's very good tube amp
but I still like SS sound and want to keep in my collection

Please advice me
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by munkong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

what Solid state amp is very Highly Recommend for all Grado ?
I want to buy one for my Grado!

now I have Mapletree HD+purist, it's very good tube amp
but I still like SS sound and want to keep in my collection

Please advice me
tongue.gif

For the GS1000, I would not hesitate to recommend the HeadRoom Desktop (max module, max DAC, stepped attenuator) amp with Desktop Power Supply:

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...esktop-amp.php

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 17
A HeadAmp GS-1 or even a Gilmore Lite is what I would recommend.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 17
The GCHA does a great job with my Grado RS2s.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 17
If it says Ray Samuels on the box, it'll sound great!

I am using an HR-2 with my RS-1's, and I LOVE it!

I have heard that Ray uses the HD-600's to voice his amps, and that may be true (Ray, if you're reading this feel free to pipe in). But even if that is the case, it doesn't prevent them from sounding GREAT with Grados!

Check my sig, all of the cans listed sound superb with my HR-2. I would recommend it without reservation to anyone who wants a world class SS amp.

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 17
glad to see the HR-2 getting respect i like mine as well, i havnt been able to bring myself to sell it even though ive upgraded my main rig. definitely a price/performace leader.

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
glad to see the HR-2 getting respect i like mine as well, i havnt been able to bring myself to sell it even though ive upgraded my main rig. definitely a price/performace leader.

The only reason I'd ever sell mine is to buy a Raptor, I just recently succumbed to the lure of tubes, I managed to luck into a mint classic Audio Research hybrid pre-amp.

But I still think that with headphones I would prefer the blackground of Ray's SS stuff. There's a lot more noise inherent in tube circuits. Well, more than SS circuits anyways, maybe saying "a lot" would be an exaggeration.

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 17
What is your source?... that'll help determine just how high up the ladder to scale.
IMHO with wood Grados, amp upgrades can have very diminishing returns if your source does not provide enough detail and depth to capitalize on the abilities of the amp.

PPA version2 with variable bass boost and steps PS. I've seen these go for ~$350. Not going to beat that for the $$$ IMHO.
EC-SS
AE-2 or hornet if you want something trans-portable.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason I'd ever sell mine is to buy a Raptor, I just recently succumbed to the lure of tubes, I managed to luck into a mint classic Audio Research hybrid pre-amp.

But I still think that with headphones I would prefer the blackground of Ray's SS stuff. There's a lot more noise inherent in tube circuits. Well, more than SS circuits anyways, maybe saying "a lot" would be an exaggeration.

i got away from tubes for the same reasons, at this point i am not missing them but maybe down the line i would buy a tube amp as a second to occasionally change up the flavor with very specific types of music. channel matching pretty tough too and matched pairs of NOS become $$$
eek.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 17
M^3 should work very well since it has an orientation towards the lows.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 17
The best synergy I have experienced between Grados and a solid state amp is the Eddie Current EC/SS as Garrett recommended. It is a great match. I think the Ray Samuels Apache would work nicely with some balanced Grados, but that is another kind of thing altogether.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 17
I have a CD Player (NAD) as source, and now I own Heed Canamp, Ear+Purist
it's my favorite amp, but I want to know what SS amp is better than Heed?

I ever own Gilmore Lite, and don't like it

Now, I interest in PS audio GCHA, Rudistor, Lehmann, HR2

who ever listened these amp?

I can offer around $750-$1000

thanks to everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back