High quality MP3 player need amp?
Jan 17, 2011 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

atsq17

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, what is a good high quality mp3/mp4 (music/video) player and if the quality is already good, would it then need an amp to sound great?

Suppose I pair it with either UM3X (i own) or GR10 (i might buy)

I heard Cowon is a good brand? 

Also if this has been covered many times before, could someone link me to an appropriate thread? Thanks. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 8
If I'd use a Cowon, I'd get either a D2/D2+ or D3. Not that the 30mwpc of the S9/J3/X7 should be that big a problem, but the lack of a true lineout for me is a problem for using amps, ergo, might as well get the one that outputs almost as much power as a portable amp.

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for that. I googled it and it looks great. If I didn't already have an iPhone4 it'd be a no-brainer to pick one up immediately. 

So does that mean your answer to my query was that if I got myself something nice like D2/D2+/D3 I wouldn't need an amp? Or was it to get those so that I can use the proper line out for the amp? Or I would be a winner either way? 

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 8
The answer depends on what headphones you are using. Many in-ear monitors sound just fine on MP3 players without an amp.

For more answers, you might want to search the forum for "UM3X iPhone" or "UM3X amp". 

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Thanks for that. I googled it and it looks great. If I didn't already have an iPhone4 it'd be a no-brainer to pick one up immediately. 

So does that mean your answer to my query was that if I got myself something nice like D2/D2+/D3 I wouldn't need an amp? Or was it to get those so that I can use the proper line out for the amp? Or I would be a winner either way? 

The D-series are designed with more output power than the S9/J3/X7. Not that it's absolutely always the case, but higher power may also mean better current, not just how loud it can go. The 70mwpc on these just about match the output on the Fiio E3, for example. Also you can end up using an IEM with really low impedance and also low sensitivity, might as well be safe having double the output power.

Also, since there's a lot more stuff you can do with a D3 than its predecessors, I'd say spend the extra cash and go for that. I'd take that over the Touch if I ever decide I need something more than a pure player, instead of having the gadgets and apps in my celphone.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi, 

I was just wondering what you meant by IF you'd use a Cowon. What do you actually use? Is it better or you just had no need to go for a Cowon? 

Thanks. 

PS: The replies have been very helpful thanks. I will check out the Cowon D3 when it is out to see if it might be worth getting despite owning an Iphone 4. I was considering spending 300 on a Headstage Arrow but could easily divert the funds to a new D3.  

Quote:
If I'd use a Cowon, I'd get either a D2/D2+ or D3. Not that the 30mwpc of the S9/J3/X7 should be that big a problem, but the lack of a true lineout for me is a problem for using amps, ergo, might as well get the one that outputs almost as much power as a portable amp.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 8
I meant that its output power will make up for the lack of a true line-out since for most IEMs and probably some cans also you won't need an amp anymore, given its got twice the output of the other Cowon players. Not that it's the only factor for SQ, but it is one important factor to consider, since more output usually brings with it more current, which is useful for very low impedance IEMs. The advantage to the J3/S9 though is the smaller size, best for when you intend to walk around with your player in your pocket; the X7's selling point is its storage size, so you should decide on what you'd use them for. Personally, making the S9/J3 less pocket-able by strapping an amp to it seems counter-intuitive. Might as well use the D3, not use an amp, and don't wear rock-star-tight pants.

The J3 might be good with a slim-profile amp though. The S9's curved rear panel is something I like for my pocket, but not for strapping to an amp that I intend to slip into a pants or jacket pocket. Not impossible though, just be aware there could - could - be ergonomic issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back