High End Racks
Jan 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #79 of 166
Ew...

That's what it was supposed to say. 

I was making a joke that he ended up with the 304 which is a fairly cheap rack for gear like that. He's got my baby on his shelf there. 

After owning a BL404 myself I'm really unimpressed with it. The looks lost their charm quickly and the rest was underwhelming. 

Quote:

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #82 of 166
Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Nice Gear.  LF looks great on the rack............I'll have to think about that............
Quote:
My el cheapo rack came in. It's shabby,

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #84 of 166
Quote:
Does the three legs thing improve stability of each shelf?  Never was a fan of the look myself but I can see how 4 legs could lead to possible un-even-ness.

On the VTI racks? No. :p
I suspect that the silver end cap things are the culprit for lack of rigidity. Those spikes are basically sitting on semi-rigid little trampolines.

With a rigid rack, 3 points makes it easy to attain great static stability, but as soon as you add motion into the equation (e.g. a rocking/shearing force), then it's going to be less stable and more tip-able than 4 legs. The higher end SOTA tables have a 4-point suspended subchassis (vs. 3-point for the Sapphire) for better dynamic stability, since the suspension can absorb a lot of energy that's dissipated over distance and time. Hopefully a 3-point rack will not be subjected to severe trauma. It does seem that an awful lot of the high-end racks are 3-point. A high end 4-leg rack solution should include some sort of leveling mechanism for uneven floors, though it may be a PITA to setup. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #85 of 166
The VTI can be mass loaded (legs anyway) and the screw in spikes are slightly adjustable. They're still kind of crappy, but they're nicer than your 'everyday' shelf.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #87 of 166
I have a triple salamander rack in one room, and a double rack in another room.
Very sturdy, well built stuff. Get the stilleto spikes and put the teflon sliders on the
bottom. Makes things a lot easier.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #89 of 166
They are gearheads, not audiophiles. When you spend more of your disposable income on high end equipment to fill in the gaps in your lonely life, you are no longer an audiophile. They forget that the music is what is most important.

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #90 of 166
They are gearheads, not audiophiles. When you spend more of your disposable income on high end equipment to fill in the gaps in your lonely life, you are no longer an audiophile. They forget that the music is what is most important.

That is quite the generalization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back