High End Racks
Jan 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 166

En_R

100+ Head-Fier
My current audio rig looks disgusting. I mean, my girlfriend tidied it up a bit for me but I don't think it is something fit for the eyes to gaze upon.

So I'm in the market for a good rack. I prefer decently sized racks, preferably with some depth as I have some huge things to lay on them.

I'm also looking for headphone racks (what can I say I love racks). I would probably need 3 or 4, because as much as I love putting things inside boxes, tucking a headphone away nice and neat everytime I'm finished with them is getting tedious. Protection is nice but I for now I just want to go bare.

Please help me :xf_eek:

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 166
I use a pair of Finite Elemente Racks, a Pagode Signature and Master Reference in black:

Shelf height is completely user adjustable based on size of your components.  

There's lots of pseudoscience about vibration damping and all that, I just bought it because it looks awesome and is solid as a rock.  I've always wanted to try Billy Baggs custom racks with the granite or thick frosted glass shelves but I just think it would be prohibitively heavy.  I visited a dealer who had a Grand Prix Monaco and was unimpressed visually.  If you're absolutely insane and burning money with fire just isn't fast enough, a Magico M-Rack can be yours for $30-50,000,

Some other names that come to mind as solid but that I haven't personally had experience with are Steve Blinn, Adona, Box Furniture Co., and Solidsteel.  Most of these items are much more expensive than they need to be, something from your local store usually works just fine (possible exception -unless you're dealing with turntables.)

The best headphone stands in terms of functionality + looks are the Rooms FS Stands available from Thomann.de,  No compression of pads and dispersion of weight over the entire headband without stretching anything.  

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 166
I use a pair of Finite Elemente Racks, a Pagode Signature and Master Reference in black:

There's lots of pseudoscience about vibration damping and all that, I just bought it because it looks awesome and is solid as a rock.  I've always wanted to try Billy Baggs custom racks with the granite or thick frosted glass shelves but I just think it would be prohibitively heavy.  I visited a dealer who had a Grand Prix Monaco and was unimpressed visually.  If you're absolutely insane and burning money with fire just isn't fast enough, a Magico M-Rack can be yours for $30-50,000,

Some other names that come to mind as solid but that I haven't personally had experience with are Steve Blinn, Adona, Box Furniture Co., and Solidsteel.  Most of these items are much more expensive than they need to be, something from your local store usually works just fine (possible exception -unless you're dealing with turntables.)

The best headphone stands in terms of functionality + looks are the Rooms FS Stands available from Thomann.de,  No compression of pads and dispersion of weight over the entire headband without stretching anything.  

Magic racks?

This looks extremely legit.

And holy crap these are expensive.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 166
Without breaking the bank:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VTI-BL304SS-Hi-End-Audio-Rack-Brand-New-Free-Ship-/120343801823?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item1c050cafdf&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1054

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 166
I agree with the chap, I like decently sized racks too. Something pleasing to the eye.

Those Finite Pagode Sig in black looks nice and well built.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 166
I had mine custom made by timbernation. He can make them whatever shape or size you need.
http://www.timbernation.com/customers.cfm

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 166
Does anyone here actually hear a difference between high end isolation platforms, and just regular material?

I have a friend who does woodwork so the timbernation racks seem fairly priced to me, but the other ones just seem exorbitant.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 166
If you're not willing to pay $50,000 on a rack then you don't love music.

Ya, wizard is a dump spot for links from other resources.

If you're interested in more mainstream products, Apple has entered the market.

The woman talking in the front row is that switchboard operator and secretary from Mad Men.

What the heck brain?

Anyways I also need a headphone rack guys (not a stand). The reason being this:

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 166
Came into this thread expecting something a bit more, ah... shall we say "r[size=10.0pt]isqué[/size]" than just a discussion of equipment stands.

That said, the stands I've chosen are Solid Tech Radius, which are a bit warmer looking in person than the rather sterile Scandinavian styling shown on their website.  Built like a tank and the spring loaded Discs of Silence are strong enough to support each of the four 70-80 lb chassis of my 2 channel amp.

http://www.solid-tech.net/products/radius-features-and-options-4808413

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #11 of 166
Most of the headphone "racks" I've seen aren't that great for the headphones as they don't have even weight dispersion across the band (ie you'll get a big indentation right in the middle of the headband)

Here's an example of whats out there:

Larry at headphile used to make "audiophile" headphone racks, which were wooden and held 3-4 headphones at a time, like this:

Don't know how active he is these days though.  

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 166
Larry at headphile used to make "audiophile" headphone racks, which were wooden and held 3-4 headphones at a time, like this:

Don't know how active he is these days though.  

Yes I'm quite familiar with his works. I own one of his later HP3000's and they sound fantastic.

Two SR-009's?

Eh long story. As for the W3000's I bought a pair for my girlfriend as a gift, but she says they are too pretty to use T_T. Defeats the purpose, was trying to drag her away from her Bose.

Edit: I found that the outer plastic shell of those cheap cd stacks (I measured it to be about 5" in diameter) provides perfect support for a headphone as shown here.

Thoughts? I might just get a couple of these, glue them together and stick a pole through the middle.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 166
Hardcore. If I became your girlfriend would you buy me a pair 009's? 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back