High-End Open Headphones
Dec 27, 2008 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

SoliloCey

100+ Head-Fier
Just thinking about getting an open headphone for home use. I've just got a 400Watt Mini Hi-Fi system. and yes its driving my parents insane big grin. But for the late nights Im resorting to my A900Ti's which Im not complaining. Just think an Open headphone would be good round the house. especially since people call me and I can't hear them. till they make me hav a heart attack when they're tapping on my shoulder.

so here's a shortlist of unamped.

ATH-AD900
ATH-AD1000
ATH-AD2000
Alessandro MS-Pro
Grado GS1000
others?

Major Questions.

whats the major difference between the 900/1000/2000? apart from more detail, hows the treble, bass, mid-range?
Alessandro MS-Pro and Grado GS1000 roughly similiar or completely different?

Also question about amped phones, K701/2 and HD600/650 is there a reason why audiophiles like the 600 so much? and roughly whats the difference between the K701 and 600?

Im thinking amped Im not sure... Im sure $1000 or so could be better spent somewhere else. but is it worth that much extra to pay then say the 2000, or MS-Pro.

I have a mini Micro-hifi system(JVC MX-KC68) it has about 400watts output, Im right saying hooking up some amplified cans, is like buying a cheap portable amplifier to drive them?

I also want to ask if Audio-Technica's W5000 be worth getting, there's a good deal within my local vicinity.

thanks

Dec 27, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 28
I don't own the AD1000 or AD2000, sure you will get some nice feedback here.

My impression was, don't get AD1000, just limit it to AD900 and AD2000. People say AD1000 doesn't sound as if it should be in this line of AD headphones.

The AD2000 is more detailed, and the bass has a "warmer" sound. The AD900 has a more musical fun sound.

That's the general impression I've gotten.

Price difference is huge, 270$ for AD900, around 600+ for AD2000.

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 28
hmmm yeah I've just been tossing about this question. It started withshould i get some open cans. Cause I keep remembering the time I auditioned the AD700s and 900s. I love Soundstage. Thats the x-factor to me.

I'm not fussed over the price difference to be honest. I'm the one willing to pay an extra AU$180 more for the A900Ti's because I preferred them over the A900's. I like my A900Ti's I just wished there was a greater soundstage.

So after considering that I was wondering if it is a good idea to get some amped for the $$ or not. I didn't mind the AD900's but I did think they were lacking, abit laid back, worked well with half my music.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 28
A900Ti is closed.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 28
What type of music? I have the AD2K and the GS1000. Also Senn 600s and 701s, so maybe I can help.

GS1000's have a high-end peak. I hear tape hiss from old albums that I don't hear with any other of the HPs. But at my age (60) I can use a treble boost ... for you I would stay away from the GS1000, lots of money you don't need to spend.

The Senn 600 is smooth and mellow, great for classical music (and most likely jazz, but I don't listen to much jazz so I don't know). Rockers prefer the 650 (not me, but I have only heard the 650 a few times).

The 701s are more clinical, more detailed, I like them a lot. I use them for vocalists, and also rock, but many people think they don't quite cut it for rock without a lot of amping.

The AD2K's excel at rock. They are my least fave of the four, but might be the best for you. You gotta find a place with return/audition privs so you can test them. If you have to choose one blindly I would do AD2K or 701s .. do NOT get 600s or GS1000s without listening, that's very likely throwing money away.

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 28
Out of the ones you've mentioned, I've only listened to the GS-1000, which I own. They're very nice as long as you don't turn them up really loud; they were actually designed to be played at lower volumes. They're a little on the bright side, but I think that the people who say they're exceedingly bright aren't using them the way they're supposed to and are cranking them up.

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 28
You can find a Ultrasone Edition 9 sometimes for sale at that price.

I had the ATH-W5000 with it's matching amp the HA5000 and I gave them up for the Edition 9s and a Yamamoto HA-02.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 28
What kind of music do you listen to? Is there a reason you're not considering the RS-1? I haven't heard the MS-Pro, but I prefer the RS-1 to the GS-1000.

I haven't heard any of the AT phones, either. However, the HD-600 is one of the best all-around headphones I have. It's a little edgier, brighter and more neutral than the HD-650. The HD-650 tends darker, smoother and a little groovier. I was listening to some P-Funk earlier - the HD-650 is perfect. The K-701, unless you really have a good amp, sounds thin, plasticky and lifeless. With a good amp, the K-701 is a pretty good can for acoustics and vocals. Not so great for anything else. But you really need a quality amp to get it there; either spend something north of $500 or build it yourself. There's no inexpensive or easy solution for the K-701, much like the rest of AKG's lineup.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 28
I can't compare all those, but I have owned Grado SR325 and currently have the ATH-AD900 and HD650. The Grado really wasn't my thing. Aside from comfort issues, while it did have a forward and engaging sound the highs were too prominent and made for listening fatigue which was worse than the physical comfort fatigue for me. I did notice they were good gaming phones though. Another issue I have with Grado is I don't much care for their design/assembly/materials... they may hold up fine generally but by comparison to the other headphones I own for example they are certainly much less substantial and well built.

The AD900 has an engaging, forward and vibrant sound while the HD650 is definitely more laid back but engaging in its own respect. You can get in to the music differently with both, and relax differently with both. As I've mentioned their presentation certainly is different. The AD900s aren't darker or mellower sounding like the HD650s but they're certainly not bright and the HD650s certainly aren't lacking in mid or high frequency reproduction and have stronger bass output although both separate the bass notes well.

The AD900 wins on comfort in my opinion although as the HD650s break in they do loosen up and clamp on to your head less. The AD900s and other Audio Technicas may need to be adjusted for your particular head (by adjusting the curvature/shape of the wire hoops that go over the top of your head) but other than that they're extremely comfortable and easy to wear.

I'm not sure I could give away either, both excel at different things depending on my mood.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can find a Ultrasone Edition 9 sometimes for sale at that price.

I had the ATH-W5000 with it's matching amp the HA5000 and I gave them up for the Edition 9s and a Yamamoto HA-02.

I dig the Ed9, but the OP was asking for open phones... Ed9 are closed
wink_face.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 28
HD-650

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dig the Ed9, but the OP was asking for open phones... Ed9 are closed
wink_face.gif

I guess he was after all sorry. I would have to go with the w5000 or the newer esw10jpn even though the 10s are technically closed. They do allow some sound in. Now that I think about it my response was more to his note about the w5000 which is closed as well. The w5000 does not allow as much sound in as the esw10jpn does.

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 28
If money is no issue, then try the AD2000, RS-1, MS-Pro and decide for yourself. I believe price wise they are all around the same, 600+

Why not add the K701, DT880 to that mix?

Sounds like you aren't going to buy a headphone amp, so I would skip the HD650, HD600 or any high end Senns.

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A900Ti is closed.

And so were the A900's... I already own a closed, so I plan to get an open set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of music do you listen to? Is there a reason you're not considering the RS-1?

But you really need a quality amp to get it there; either spend something north of $500 or build it yourself. There's no inexpensive or easy solution for the K-701, much like the rest of AKG's lineup.

Yeah I know about the amps, its no good buying a ferrari and then sticking a V6 to drive it when it needs a V12. I was thinking of getting the Corda Cantate to drive the amplified ones.

Im a young adolescent, so I listen to Underground Hip-Hop, Jazz, Soul, funk, Indie and classical respectively. I've heard good things about the AKG but I heard the bass is lacking, is it? how is it like? I don't like the phones to be overly bassy like the D770's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If money is no issue, then try the AD2000, RS-1, MS-Pro and decide for yourself. I believe price wise they are all around the same, 600+

Why not add the K701, DT880 to that mix?

Sounds like you aren't going to buy a headphone amp, so I would skip the HD650, HD600 or any high end Senns.

I actually did ask whether the AKG K702,or HD600's with an amp invested would really be worth my time or not, in comparison o unamped phones. for the $$.

I also asked if getting the W5000, to any of these would give me the soundstage of say the AD900's with the clarity and quality. Like I say Im stepping out of my boundaries and I don't know alot about these higher end phones, and amplifiers. but I have some basic knowledge.

Just curious, cause I've heard the mid-range isn't very good in STAX models but are STAX SR404's worth considering, Will i need a better more $$ amp to drive them in comparison to the K701/2's?

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back