High-end non-upsampling DACs
May 10, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #61 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrjabba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do they sound bad? if so what did you think was wrong with the sound? I want something even better then my dac-ah caa mod.

I think Regal was commenting on the whole shaaady bit.

May 10, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #62 of 76
Mrjabba. Disregard what regal says. I don't think he's heard it, he's just referring to Storm's past history, which has been laid bare above for all to read. I don't know WHY he thinks he has a bone to pick with them. Maybe he can explain?

In my opinion, the D02 sounded great. It was the biggest jump in SQ I've experienced to date. I don't need to say more, as there will be new reviews coming out soon for the D02A for you to read. Ignore my views because some might consider me biased (I'm a fan of what ppl would call their 'sound') and also ignore those who obvious have a bone to pick that isn't even related to sound quality.

If I was you, I would email Storm telling him you are interested in hearing what the DAC sounds like, and just see what he says. Can't hurt to send an email.

As far as I'm aware, there are 10 D02As being made to fill current orders, with parts in stock for another 20. Several can be made in one day, so I think there will be about 20 in stock within the next fortnight. You can always do what I did, and email him asking to be told when there are complete DACs on hand for sending, and only make payment THEN if you are really worried. Ken has gone so far as to send out 1 or 2 DACs before payment, to try and restore what faith was lost in his name on HF. It's interesting to note that this is only occurring for some Head-Fi members, no others who discovered the DAC elsewhere.

I've seen posts not too dissimilar to this be deleted (some with and some without reason), so please just email Ken directly with all your questions, and PM a few of the current/past owners with regards to how a D02 sounded, and come to you're own conclusion. I'll happily answer questions regarding sound quality etc in PM. I have no idea why people insist on asking questions publicly on here when only a handful of ppl have them. Personally, I think the best ppl to ask about sound quality are those who have PREVIOUSLY owned something and moved on... they have the best idea of where products fit in the scheme of things because they've heard something better since - their opinion will be relatively balanced compared to others.

stormdigital@gmail.com

Please note that I've only repeated information that is either freely available on threads here, or that I've learnt by asking Storm directly. People should take their own measures to confirm facts before making any decisions, and an email to Storm is the best source of info.

By the way, this thread is well and truely OT now - My apologies luvdunhill.

May 10, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #63 of 76
thanks for clearing that up rincewind
smily_headphones1.gif

i've never made any contact with storm audio before, i've only been talking about it with the aussie distributor. i think i would rather go through a dealer rather then direct with storm. just to be safer.....

but i'll definately see if they organise for me to demo it before i buy

May 11, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #65 of 76
This thread is about high end NOS DAC's. The Storm is not one. The first version had many reliability and quality issues posted by dissatisfied customers. The second version turned into an outright scam with people out $500 each. This latest "info" is just an attempt to collect more money from unsuspecting newbies. Surely there are posters on this forum who are in on it.

If the mods had any respect for the membership here they would not allow spam for more fraud.

May 11, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #66 of 76
Regal: Have you been talking to Ken (on average) nearly every day for the past year, barring the period when he wasn't contactable? No. Have you bought, seen or heard ANY of his work? No. Have you got facts from any source other than what is available on here? I doubt it. Head-Fi != the Universe.

Most of all, I'm insulted by your comments claiming that I'm "in on something" that is supposed to take Head-Fi members (or anyone else for that matter) for a ride. And what exactly do you think I'm suposed to gain by posting what you imply is false information to help a supposed scammer? Ask anyone who has dealt with me on here (or anywhere else) - I don't make wild unbased comments and I purposefully avoid giving unbalanced or biased advice. In this case, I've merely suggested that one person wait 2-3 weeks on a major purchase.

RE the new photos of the Storm D02A: Yes - my Photoshop skills are coming along AMAZINGLY well. I'll give you lessons if you like.
rolleyes.gif

You have NFI mate. Prepare for a very big shock before the end of the month. I hope you have a very, very big appetite for your own words.

May 11, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is about high end NOS DAC's. The Storm is not one. The first version had many reliability and quality issues posted by dissatisfied customers. The second version turned into an outright scam with people out $500 each. This latest "info" is just an attempt to collect more money from unsuspecting newbies. Surely there are posters on this forum who are in on it.

If the mods had any respect for the membership here they would not allow spam for more fraud.

Yep. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me..

May 11, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #68 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me..

"Fool me once, shame on. . . — Shame on you.
Fool me. . . — You can't get fooled again."

May 11, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #70 of 76
Exactly. Make you're own decisions. And, I love that GWB quote. hahahaha

Pictures (only the main PCB) are available here.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=202509&page=6
(Although now you have to sort through a few posts by users who have no legitimate reason to post there).

The USB chips and cases are scheduled for pickup today/tomorrow. Ken is also hanging out to show everyone photos of the new DACs when they are completely assembled in their cases. Should be within the next week.

Apparently the web site will be up shortly after this batch of D02As have been well and truely sorted out. Self publicism is taking a well deserved back seat to just sorting out the current outstanding issues we are all aware of.

May 13, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #73 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another option is the Audial "The Model", soon to be replaced with "The Model II" (such creative names lol)

Audial :: The Model, USB & S/PDIF DAC :: Making a serious listening easy

What's the point of bumping this year old thread, is this another Ken law fund raiser?

The least you could do is notify people how wrong you were for strumming up business to this criminal.

Dozens of people are out $500 because of your posts in this thread

May 13, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #75 of 76
Hey back off regal, of course I was wrong. Everyone knows what happened with Storm now, it's plain for everyone to see on this forum. I'm just carrying myself with more dignity about it. If you'd had the conversations with Ken that I'd had, and followed his progress nearly day by day I as I had (until recently), you'd be hard pressed to call him a scammer too. More like "extremely poor planning" and "terrible luck" and "no idea about priorities", but as we knew pressuring him didn't get any results, so I sat and watched and waited. He actually went to some great lengths for me, and it has always confused the living h3ll out of me why he would treat any customer differently to another. I simply don't understand. And don't think anyone could explain it. NFI. Anyway, as I've ALWAYS said, spending money on a one man, or small-time business with little to no background like that is ALWAYS going to be a massive risk. I spent my money on it baring in mind that I might not get it back. How did the others spend it? Not in that fashion, I bet. Anyone who thought otherwise is kidding themselves bigtime! I was a 'risk taker' on this particular front, and I accept the money as being gone, and a lesson learnt (and I garantee it was considerably more than ANYONE else here lost, by a FACTOR, but I don't complain about it because I knew what I was doing). I guess it made me feel good to think I was taking a chance to help a guy who built (what I considered to be) a great sounding DAC, and just needed a really big helping hand. But once I (personally) saw signs of trouble, I REPEATEDLY said people should wait for the company to get on it's legs and see it spitting out large volumes of reliable DACs before buying anything. I think it's the fact that I wasn't shouting from on top of a soapbox like everyone else and calling in the police that must bother you - I'm too 'easy going' about it or something... I don't really know. I also recommended to HeadFier hugz that he DON'T post his thoughts on the Pandora demo unit he borrowed, as it was just going to stir up stuff again, when IMO, things needed to settle down so Storm could try to get their 5h1t together and clear up the mess that already existed at the time.

I'd love to hear how you think meaning the existance of the Audial supports a completely different company / DAC / design / country. Far out. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that mule aint gettin' any deader. The REASON I posted here is because I too am now looking for another NOS DAC. OK? FARK. Leave me alone! Thanks for turning this perfectly fine thread into another 'mud-slinging'.

What bugs me most is that you are still making accusations against me. I may be a flamin' idiot for waiting patiently for as long as I did (there are others who have waited longer and also not madea peep!), but I am as honest a person as you could find/meet, and proud of it. Believe what you want, but since it no longer matters, please do not make any more baseless accusations against me or I will contact the mods about it (who I've already discussed Storm and other matters with). If I was only NOW jumping up and down and trying to get money back or complain in any way, then *I* would be a massive hyprocrite (and about 2 years too late anyway haha), so I am just MOVING ON. I suggest you do the same matey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back