High-end non-upsampling DACs
May 1, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #16 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spotted a nice site wich offers a NOS DAC with 60 x TDA1543 :

http://www.dddac.de/

You just have to look in the for sale section of pre-configured kits.

I'm assuming you are referring to the FULL-60 Kit for 647,00 euros?

That's pretty freakin' sweet!

May 1, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #17 of 76
Then there is the 'ultimate nos dac' over at diyaudio. It looks very nice with 8 TDA1541s in parallel. I hink it is only available as a diy kit but maybe you can get someone to build one for you?

May 1, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #19 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why!? oversampling DACs sound better than NOS DACs

My.... GOD! You're absolutely RIGHT! What have I been doing all this time?!?
frown.gif
*Goes and hangs himself cos his ears are obviously now failing him*

May 2, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #20 of 76
Quote:

why!? oversampling DACs sound better than NOS DACs, and the better oversampling DACs have the same "analog" sound just like NOS DACs.

No usually,especailly when you like more big soundstage and open sound

May 2, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 76
I agree.. every NOS DAC I've ever heard kills oversampling DACs... I definitely prefer the "house" sound.

I've decided to try and audition the Northstar at audioengr's recommendation.

May 2, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #22 of 76
I've just ordered the Promitheus Audio NOS DAC. Cusotmizable in config, it offers 1545A DAC (some say the best of both worlds of the 1541 and 1543), a choice of opamp or tube output stage, quality transformers, and several upgrade options.

I'm trying the DAC with silver RCA's, cap and resistor upgrades, and a silver pulse transformer (mini transformer on the input) for < $500 shipped. Given the quality of the TVC he makes, I expect some very nice things from this DAC.

I owned the older Derek Shek (smoky clear acrylic case) NOS DAC from eBay. Sold it after maybe 4 months, but do remember some special magic in certain areas. Wanted to try NOS again, but in a better implementation this time. Will be fun to compare to my Ori-mod'd Zhaolu's.

ETA is 2-3 weeks build time (probably given the successful review of his TVC, he's got a backlog now!), then ship time.

May 2, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #23 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I was looking to compare some of the newer non-sampling DACs to my current Ed Meitner designed Musatex DAC.

From your topic name, it seems you are concerned about up-sampling, not oversampling, right? It seems all the bickering between people is a result of this confusion. Could you edit your OP to correct this?

(sidenote: I don't think a non-sampling DAC would work very well, but I bet it has a reaaaaly low noise floor.)

May 3, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #27 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by donthuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No usually,especailly when you like more big soundstage and open sound

that's because you're not using a good choice of oversampling DAC. most DACs suck in general. A good oversampling DAC also has the big soundstage, open sound, and weighty tones typically associated with NOS DACs, but the treble is worlds better, and bass is tighter and more refined. NOS DACs are a lose-lose proposition. It is a road down to an inferior sound.

May 3, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #28 of 76
Quote:

that's because you're not using a good choice of oversampling DAC. most DACs suck in general. A good oversampling DAC also has the big soundstage, open sound, and weighty tones typically associated with NOS DACs, but the treble is worlds better, and bass is tighter and more refined. NOS DACs are a lose-lose proposition. It is a road down to an inferior sound.

I just bought an upsampling DAC that is supposed to have all those qualities. We'll see if it does. I should have it sometime next week.

Can you clarify what you mean by oversampling? Or are you interchanging the wording with upsampling?

The DAC I'm getting upsamples to 24/192 using any of the digital inputs except for its I2S input.

May 3, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #29 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just ordered the Promitheus Audio NOS DAC. Cusotmizable in config, it offers 1545A DAC (some say the best of both worlds of the 1541 and 1543), a choice of opamp or tube output stage, quality transformers, and several upgrade options.

Awesome, I was looking at that dac the other day and would love to hear some opinions on it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

May 3, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #30 of 76
You can't go around saying stuff like

Quote:

NOS DACs are a lose-lose proposition. It is a road down to an inferior sound.

when there are many thousands of people listening VERY happily using these DACs, even if you add "IMO" and "TME" in your sig.

Yes, I'm sure the better US/OS DACs on the market are very good. Better than the best NOS DACs? I don't know, I haven't heard them. But we're talking about mega expensive DACs like the Weiss Medea (sp?) and Theta GEN VIII and much, MUCH more expensive units than (what I think of as the 'top of the entry level') DACs like the Lavry or the Benchmarks or most of what noobs on here refer to as top notch. BUT, if the cheapest NOS DACs like modded DAC-AH and others are (according to LOTS of reviews, both pro and non) beating out and being compared to US/OS DACs costing factors of 10 more, then what does that tell you can be achieved when given a cost-no-object NOS DAC like the very top of the line AudioNote DACs and the other cost-no-object DACs. I would be willing to bet they rip the living poo out of the US/OS DACs. But I don't go around stating it like fact.

We'll see in about one months time when I compare a highly modded DAC-AH and the latest generation Storm D02A NOS DACs against a Theta Gen VIII, widely regarded as one of the best US/OS DACs (and a price tag to match). The owner of the Theta is very familiar with it and has heard a great many other components so it won't just be my opinion. I believe he is having some others around to listen too.

I prefer to listen with my ears to sound waves, not with my eyes to specifications on paper. Your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back