High-end non-upsampling DACs
May 5, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #46 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you say you listen with your ears, but still let tests and IC specifications make decisions for you (ie you consider them at all), then stay with OS - they are MUCH MUCH better ON PAPER.

J-Pak, the bass on my NOS DACs went deeper and clearer than any OS DAC I've heard (barring the Theta) and the treble is more sweet, clear and airy than anything else I've heard. I think you've had the Benchmark and other stuff and weren't quite happy with it. You should try a good quality NOS DAC - a DAC-AH with the minor imperfections corrected is VERY cheap, can't hurt to try for yourself. They make my headphone and speaker systems sing like nothing else. Or ask Jahn about his DAC-AH - Why on earth would someone whose heard so much gear (the ever changing tower of power) 'settle' on something if it's apparently so bad? A NOS DAC was one of the few purchases I've made that 'fly in the face' of common known 'fact' as far as specifications and such go, and it was the BEST purchase I've ever made - audio or otherwise.

rincewind believe me I'm the last person looking at white paper specs, I probably couldn't decipher even half of what's given to me, I'm definitely using my ears
biggrin.gif

You're right I did have the DAC1 in my system and I was incredibly disappointed by its performance. However I also owned a Bel Canto DAC2 that I was pleased with, but it did suffer from "hardness" that might be a stereotypical characteristic of U/S DACs. I also heard a modded DAC-AH (I can't recall exactly what they were, but they were very simple according to the owner) and I was definitely not thrilled with its performance compared to the DAC2. On classical and jazz pieces the DAC-AH did lack the high frequency sweetness, air and depth to the notes. On sitar from the high upper midrange/lower treble upwards the instrument sounded dull, muted and recessed, definitely not how it sounds in real life (I did do side by side comparisons, but this was something that was incredibly obvious). I then set out looking for a sort of middle ground between the two. I finally settled on the Lavry DA10, and so far it's just gelled really well in my system. If you look at my two "reference" headphones they're definitely more analytical and very revealing of upstream gear, as such I've sort been on the perfect <digital> source quest for a while now. I don't think I fall into the typical "Lavry or the Benchmarks or most of what noobs on here refer to as top notch" that you referred to earlier.

I did a lot of research at a few other hifi forums and from everything I've read the new U/S DAC I have coming to me should have a truly "analog" signature (granted it's not cheap) with excellent extension on both ends. I should have a detailed write up in two to three weeks time.

May 6, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #47 of 76
Cool J-Pak, there's just many who don't.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hrmm, sounds typical of very lightly modified DAC-AH. You need to have certain mods for it stand out from the others you compared to, as they are relatively good quality DACs (stiffer competition than say a stock Zhaolu etc). When money permits and if you still have the inclination, have a look for a high quality NOS maker with a money back garantee so u can compare apples and apples
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #49 of 76
Suggest you try this: Pacific Valve Lite DAC AH and have it modified by a reputable modification company. That should give you a good approximation of just what is possible with NOS. They can do mods according to any budget you name. They will twiddle with it somewhat anyway, but make sure they make the outputs passive and set the chip voltages to 8V instead of the standard 6V.

May 7, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #50 of 76
Could look at the Ongaku (sp?) DAC here. The link is stuffed though, it goes to a Preamp
frown.gif
http://www.sibatech.co.jp/KONDO/KONDOindex.htm

Depending how many features you need/want, the Progression DAC on this page: http://www.sakurasystems.com/products/47dac.html It is minimal in 'features' but some say that's good.

Man.. no wonder you posted on here asking, I haven't found (m)any NOS DACs over $1000. I found the Opera Audio Consonance CDP though, looks quite nice. Anyway, I only found the above, and several of the DIY home jobbies, like the Altmann or the DDDAC which although they may sound good, I wouldn't call "high-end" cos I'd say that includes appearance and not having a car battery in your lounge to run the DAC! There is always the many sites that will mod up a DAC-AH but I guess you don't wanna do that.

There's also the AudioNote gear which I think you can get the top model for about 2300USD. All tube based (never again for me).

If you can wait 2-3 weeks, Storm Audio's releasing its D02A. I don't know the price (cos mine is pretty much a replacement job for a previous faulty one), but I know it's got a LOT more features than the model I got for kinda cheap, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a fair bit more.

May 8, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #51 of 76
Quote:

If you can wait 2-3 weeks, Storm Audio's releasing its D02A. I don't know the price (cos mine is pretty much a replacement job for a previous faulty one), but I know it's got a LOT more features than the model I got for kinda cheap, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a fair bit more.

You seriously think people will want to deal with them again after all that's happened
confused.gif

May 9, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #54 of 76
Quote:

You seriously think people will want to deal with them again after all that's happened

It's entirely up to each person to make that decision. I direct you to this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202509 and also
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...193330&page=14
for the latest information. I think you'll find it worth watching and waiting a few weeks. I and a few others have been in close contact with Storm since he 'resurfaced' and following his progress. Anyway, check those threads for more info.

Quote:

i didn't even realise they would be allowed to trade again?

Storm isn't a Member of the Trade on Head-Fi. If a company screws up and has some turbulence in their early days, and it's read about on here, it doesn't spell complete and instant doom for them - the world doesn't revolve around Head-Fi.

May 9, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #55 of 76
Quote:

Storm isn't a Member of the Trade on Head-Fi. If a company screws up and has some turbulence in their early days, and it's read about on here, it doesn't spell complete and instant doom for them - the world doesn't revolve around Head-Fi.

ah, i forgot their country of origin. where i'm from there are laws that prevent dodgy companies from resurfacing too frequently by the same owners

May 9, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #56 of 76
i recently purchased a NOS DAC, the lite dac-ah CAA version to be exact. i wouldn't say i have experienced a lot of dacs. but i've just been promoted at work! so lately i have been shopping and comparing my dac-ah to players like the 840c, marantz SA-15S1, Musical Fidelity A5. (thank you lenwallis audio for your time! and allowing me to use my dac-ah in your demo setup!!)

from my knowledge they are all upsampling players, and i was completely amazed that i enjoyed my dac-ah more then the A5 cd player ($4000aud)
eek.gif
eek.gif
, i think the sales rep was also amazed at the dac-ahs performance
icon10.gif

anyway i'm also on a search for another NOS dac
cool.gif
, and very intrigued by this storm audio d02. but the aussie importer says it's not longer produced
frown.gif

so good news that storm is returning, and i hope i wont experience the troubles many people did (i assume the aussie dealer will make it safer!)

May 9, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #57 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah, i forgot their country of origin. where i'm from there are laws that prevent dodgy companies from resurfacing too frequently by the same owners

Mate, no offence, but where WE are from, we find out what the go is before commenting.

Ken has been visited by the HK police a few times, on occasion they commandeered technical papers and such to try to determine if he was a legit business. After the first visit, they said he should refund any existing cutomers, but Ken knew that several of them still want their DACs (as do new customers since the police began looking into things). In Ken's second last attempt to have the DAC cases built, the factory changed the design without even referring to him, resulting in 20 or so completely useless cases that he needed to scrap - they were unusable. When he refused to pay them for shonky work, they went into his home and basically held him up. So he's basically had to deal with home invasions and threats, visits from the HK police which only served to slow him down more, paying for materials and work that were complete sh1te (this would never happen in AU/US/UK etc), and a torrent of customers jumping to conclusions after a delivery date was slipped (cos we NEVER see that happen from any other business, do we
rolleyes.gif
) There are two or three cases of customers having a VERY bad time of it, the worst being elnero, these are either dealt with, or in the process. Ken has a list of exactly WHO he owes WHAT.

Anyway, after the HK police' third visit, they conceded that Ken is/was indeed building the products he has accepted payment for, and the customers who are currently owed money or DACs are aware of what is happening, his progress and when they will get either a DAC or a refund (which, after "all that's happened" stands at a grand total of 3 or 4 people). There are 30 or so happy customers, around the world, with earlier versions of his DACs, well before his trouble with the case factory. As I said before, you should read the Action/Storm thread linked to above.

Apparently Ken's messages to mods are falling on deaf ears, it's no wonder most of the info on here is 2nd and 3rd hand. Even while Ken is sorting out stuff with people directly (by simply making the DACs or offering refunds), there are still plenty who are happy to dwell on the few unfortunate cases (no pun intended). There are still a few people who have not replied to Ken's "the DACs are coming" email. Just in case they are ignoring him because of what's been said on HF, Ken will be holding a few of the DACs in case they decide to actually call in the owed DAC/debt. Anyway, this is all pointless cos people will see results by the end of the month.

Just wait 3 weeks.

May 9, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #60 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
avoid the Storm

do they sound bad?

if so what did you think was wrong with the sound? I want something even better then my dac-ah caa mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back