High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jul 13, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #2,072 of 4,183
Thanks. I am just a little surprised it's not talked about more often here, as I find it to be a special cable, especially its mids.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #2,073 of 4,183
Anyone know anything about the (GPC) Penon GD849? I didn't realize they released new cables.

Edit: Now I see they have a pure silver cable up - Penon Leo. These must be brands new.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #2,074 of 4,183
Jul 14, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #2,075 of 4,183
Jul 14, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #2,076 of 4,183
Thanks. I am just a little surprised it's not talked about more often here, as I find it to be a special cable, especially its mids.
Yes Beat Audio is not talked often outside Asia. Here is another review in Thai https://forum.munkonggadget.com/detail.php?id=219511

I would like to listen to Billow and Archelois. I have Prima Donna from a headfier member. It is a good cable but it took me a while to find matched IEM. There is a member here from USA who has 2 Virginia cables but he has sold one.

If you are interested with Billow, it may be good to try Brimar Omni King and Ultimate. I have ordered both Brimar. I went to Can Jam Singapore for first time to test cables but unfortunately Beat Audio was not there.

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #2,077 of 4,183
Yes Beat Audio is not talked often outside Asia. Here is another review in Thai https://forum.munkonggadget.com/detail.php?id=219511

I would like to listen to Billow and Archelois. I have Prima Donna from a headfier member. It is a good cable but it took me a while to find matched IEM. There is a member here from USA who has 2 Virginia cables but he has sold one.

If you are interested with Billow, it may be good to try Brimar Omni King and Ultimate. I have ordered both Brimar. I went to Can Jam Singapore for first time to test cables but unfortunately Beat Audio was not there.

I have actually liked Brimar's cables quite a lot.They are actually based in Hk so I actually went to their shop to audition. I tried their reference supreme 4 wire and was quite good. I find their sound signature and billow to be a little similar, but it's harder to find a second hand brimar cable.

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #2,079 of 4,183
Upcoming Brimar adapters (from top to bottom):
1. 2.5mm to 3.5mm with Brimar Kaiser 8 wire
2. 4.4mm to 2.5mm with Brimar Ultimate 10 wire and Pentaconn female
3. Interconnect cable with Brimar Ultimate 8 wire and Pentaconn 4.4mm OFC connector

c709ca0e-248d-48b1-9654-404b136b4c95.jpg

Jul 16, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #2,080 of 4,183
Earlier today I got a message from the distributor here in HK saying that my Janus D had arrived. Got really excited and rushed right over. However once I got there and opened the box, I found that it arrived with a 2.5mm balanced plug and a piggy tail cable to convert it to 4.4mm. I told them that I had specifically ordered one with a 4.4mm plug but was informed that all Janus cables came with 2.5mm plugs and a piggy tail cable to convert to whatever termination that was requested. Wasn't really happy with that but I thought if I was happy with the cable I could learn to live with the piggy tail. Unfortunately once I plugged everything in I found there was no sound coming out of my left ear piece. I fidgeted around with the 2.5mm connector of the piggy tail and found the sound to cut in and out of the left ear piece. Really wished that the cable was terminated with a 4.4mm plug, now I have to wait for it to be sent back to EA to get fixed.... :cry:

This is sad to read - sorry for what you have to go through, especially given the cost of that cable. I was just chatting this morning with the guys from MusicTeck asking if they had any EA cables NATIVELY terminated in 4.4mm and they said no. Maybe a question for the EA thread, but it seems like EA is slow to adopt the 4.4mm standard as 2.5mm is still pretty dominant in most parts of Asia? I am in the long, slow, painful process of converting all of my sources/cables to 4.4mm and am hoping for an adapter-free life soon....I see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

-Collin-

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #2,081 of 4,183
This is sad to read - sorry for what you have to go through, especially given the cost of that cable. I was just chatting this morning with the guys from MusicTeck asking if they had any EA cables NATIVELY terminated in 4.4mm and they said no. Maybe a question for the EA thread, but it seems like EA is slow to adopt the 4.4mm standard as 2.5mm is still pretty dominant in most parts of Asia? I am in the long, slow, painful process of converting all of my sources/cables to 4.4mm and am hoping for an adapter-free life soon....I see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

-Collin-
The primary reason that EA sends 2.5mm cables to their dealers and brings them along to shows, is because it is easier to go from 2.5 to 4.4 and 3.5, than from 4.4 the other way around. So instead of having to offer cables in different terminations to test, they just do 2.5 with adapters.

For this same reason I am also being forced to choose 2.5 at the moment. I use my A&K most of the time, but also have a WM1Z, and might contemplate one of the new 4.4 daps in the future (N8, LPGT, R2R2000). To fully go 4.4 means abandoning A&K, which I just don't see myself doing. So to alternate between 2.5 and 4.4, it is still easier to pick 2.5. The only way that we will be adapter free, is if companies start ripping off the DITA awesome plug. I mean, I love the DITA guys, but seriously, why hasn't every cable company jumped on this by now.

That being said, I don't know what the logic is behind only offering 2.5 with an adapter for Janus. @Decreate, I also feel for you buddy, although I was aware they were only going to offer it like that. Probably Eric mentioned it at CJ NY. But it still sucks when it is delivered defective. Couldn't the store just give you a new one, would assume they have a couple on hand? Especially if just the pigtail is defective.

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #2,082 of 4,183
The primary reason that EA sends 2.5mm cables to their dealers and brings them along to shows, is because it is easier to go from 2.5 to 4.4 and 3.5, than from 4.4 the other way around. So instead of having to offer cables in different terminations to test, they just do 2.5 with adapters.

For this same reason I am also being forced to choose 2.5 at the moment. I use my A&K most of the time, but also have a WM1Z, and might contemplate one of the new 4.4 daps in the future (N8, LPGT, R2R2000). To fully go 4.4 means abandoning A&K, which I just don't see myself doing. So to alternate between 2.5 and 4.4, it is still easier to pick 2.5. The only way that we will be adapter free, is if companies start ripping off the DITA awesome plug. I mean, I love the DITA guys, but seriously, why hasn't every cable company jumped on this by now.

That being said, I don't know what the logic is behind only offering 2.5 with an adapter for Janus. @Decreate, I also feel for you buddy, although I was aware they were only going to offer it like that. Probably Eric mentioned it at CJ NY. But it still sucks when it is delivered defective. Couldn't the store just give you a new one, would assume they have a couple on hand? Especially if just the pigtail is defective.

Nic your post is spot on. It is also causing me to question my decision to abandon 2.5mm.........

Ugh. This stuff keeps me up at night! Oh, and add to the fact that I love to buy second-hand cables from the classifieds and I think there are at least eight 2.5mm cables for every one 4.4mm (which usually get snapped up quickly).

What have I done.

-Collin-

P.S. This feels like when Apple took away my headphone jack :)

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #2,083 of 4,183
Nic your post is spot on. It is also causing me to question my decision to abandon 2.5mm.........

Ugh. This stuff keeps me up at night! Oh, and add to the fact that I love to buy second-hand cables from the classifieds and I think there are at least eight 2.5mm cables for every one 4.4mm (which usually get snapped up quickly).

What have I done.

-Collin-

P.S. This feels like when Apple took away my headphone jack :)
Trust me, you are not alone my friend. When I got a pre-production version of Horus (they were still working on the rose-gold splitter), Eric automatically sent it in 2.5mm. Since I primarily used the SE on my AK380cu (and wanted to be 'adapter-free') I asked for 3.5mm for the final version. Then I decided to go full WM1Z after it was modded, so I had it re-terminated to 4.4. Which sucked when I got the SP1000. So, had it re-terminated again to 2.5mm :D

But honestly, with all the new 4.4 daps coming out you could make a conscious decision to stick with that. Fingers crossed that at least one of those three sounds half decent :wink:

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #2,084 of 4,183
Wow, sounds like you definitely have experience with this pain point @flinkenick! While I do not have a 1Z, most of my listening is actually done at my desk so I decided on the whatever-the-heck-its-called Sony DAC/amp. I think the TA-ZH1ES? The native 4.4mm plug on that sold me and it sounds wonderful, hopefully similar to the 1Z. I do see a lot of DAPs coming out this year in 4.4mm and my DX200 with the Amp8 is probably going to be my only one for a while.

-Collin-

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #2,085 of 4,183

Unfortunately this option was never offered to me and at the time I assumed that it was because there were no spares even though I was at the office of the distributor here in Hong Kong. However a few days ago I walked past a earphone shop and saw that the Janus cable was available there. This shop gets all their EA cables from the distributor so I really don't know what to think now...Just hope that I can get the cable fixed and returned to me soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back