High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Dec 5, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #1,351 of 4,183
Hey guys,

I was looking to buy a new balanced cable for my K10's. I was looking for something in the 300-400 range. In terms of voicing, I definitely don't want something that will bring out more warmth and bass, since my K10's are already kind of warm. I was looking for something that would give me more clarity, kind of like my Andromedas
Plussound silver gold

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #1,353 of 4,183
Thank you! I noticed they had several models. Which one would be the one you recommend?
Exo? Or the X. Exo is thicker than the X. Affexts the sound more. X is more comfortable

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #1,354 of 4,183
Hey guys,

I was looking to buy a new balanced cable for my K10's. I was looking for something in the 300-400 range. In terms of voicing, I definitely don't want something that will bring out more warmth and bass, since my K10's are already kind of warm. I was looking for something that would give me more clarity, kind of like my Andromedas

I'd personally suggest the Effect Audio x Music Sanctuary Eos. It's a clean, clear and controlled sounding cable with great spatial resolution and transparency. I think that's exactly what you're after. The PS Silver-Gold isn't a bad recommendation, but I've heard it and I found it to be rather warm and relaxed, so I don't know if that's the ideal buy based on your needs. The difference between the Exo and the X is wire count. The X is a 2-wire cable, while the Exo is a 4-wire cable. They're the same thickness (26 AWG).

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #1,355 of 4,183
I'd personally suggest the Effect Audio x Music Sanctuary Eos. It's a clean, clear and controlled sounding cable with great spatial resolution and transparency. I think that's exactly what you're after. The PS Silver-Gold isn't a bad recommendation, but I've heard it and I found it to be rather warm and relaxed, so I don't know if that's the ideal buy based on your needs. The difference between the Exo and the X is wire count. The X is a 2-wire cable, while the Exo is a 4-wire cable. They're the same thickness (26 AWG).

Hmm, how would they compare to the wagnus diamond dust, I hear those are good too. I’m kind of overwhelmed by all the options, so looks like I’m going to have to take a good look into this. In terms of TOPL, Incase I decide to dish out extra money, what would be the best?

Finally, I have a reference 8 cable for my andromeda, and I thought those were the best for that headphone. However, now I’m seeing that there are much better cables. Would it be a good idea to use the same cable for both my K10 and andromeda, or would it be ideal to use different cables for since the IEMs are voiced differently.
[Q I figured rather than buy two cables (reference 8 for andromeda and high end for k10, I can use the money to buy a really good topl cable to just use for both headphones.

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #1,358 of 4,183
Hmm, how would they compare to the wagnus diamond dust, I hear those are good too. I’m kind of overwhelmed by all the options, so looks like I’m going to have to take a good look into this. In terms of TOPL, Incase I decide to dish out extra money, what would be the best?

Finally, I have a reference 8 cable for my andromeda, and I thought those were the best for that headphone. However, now I’m seeing that there are much better cables. Would it be a good idea to use the same cable for both my K10 and andromeda, or would it be ideal to use different cables for since the IEMs are voiced differently.
[Q I figured rather than buy two cables (reference 8 for andromeda and high end for k10, I can use the money to buy a really good topl cable to just use for both headphones.

I guess I should clarify my question- what would be a good cable in the 700 range I can use with my k10 and andromeda

Unfortunately, I've never tried Wagnus cables; they're extremely rare outside of Japan. Back to your request for more clarity, the Effect Audio Horus would be the best performing cable out of the whole lot if price was not a factor. Taking price into consideration, I'd struggle to call it worth the cost. In that case, the DHC Symbiote SP ver. 3 would be the best bang for your buck. It has great air and clarity, and its organic dynamic presentation and linear signature would work well with both IEMs.

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #1,359 of 4,183
Unfortunately, I've never tried Wagnus cables; they're extremely rare outside of Japan. Back to your request for more clarity, the Effect Audio Horus would be the best performing cable out of the whole lot if price was not a factor. Taking price into consideration, I'd struggle to call it worth the cost. In that case, the DHC Symbiote SP ver. 3 would be the best bang for your buck. It has great air and clarity, and its organic dynamic presentation and linear signature would work well with both IEMs.
Would the effect audio Leonidas be the best option for a price range around 700?

Also, silly question. Is it bad to keep unplugging cables and switching headphones ? Will it damage the cables at all? I know it’s a rather silly question, but I was asking Incase there was some insider knowledge about such a matter

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,360 of 4,183
Would the effect audio Leonidas be the best option for a price range around 700?

Also, silly question. Is it bad to keep unplugging cables and switching headphones ? Will it damage the cables at all? I know it’s a rather silly question, but I was asking Incase there was some insider knowledge about such a matter

I've personally never been a fan of the Leonidas. Although it has a beautifully rumbly and dynamic low-end, its nonchalant midrange combined with its smoothed-off treble creates an atmosphere that strikes me as uninviting and sterile. Although its resolution is decent, it wouldn't be my first choice if clarity is what you were after. To me, for an all-rounder cable with a slight emphasis on clarity and transparency, the Symbiote SP is the better value.

Whether or not constant cable-rolling deteriorates your equipment is determined by the quality of both the plug and the socket. Nowadays, most CIEMs have robust sockets that can take months of occasional cable-rolling whilst retaining decent resistance. Also, if your cable's 2-pin connectors are sourced from Eidolic (as is the case with DHC) or Oyaide for example, you can bet they'd last a while too. As long as you plug and unplug carefully, no component will get damaged if they are of a decent quality. The worst that could happen is your IEM's socket will slowly loosen. Even then, it could take months if you cable-roll often, or years if you do it rarely.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #1,361 of 4,183

You have more chance of damaging your headphones. I have beyer t5p's that i was switching between balanced and single ended cables and the connectors have become smoothed out. I would highly recommend against doing this frequently.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #1,362 of 4,183
I've personally never been a fan of the Leonidas. Although it has a beautifully rumbly and dynamic low-end, its nonchalant midrange combined with its smoothed-off treble creates an atmosphere that strikes me as uninviting and sterile. Although its resolution is decent, it wouldn't be my first choice if clarity is what you were after. To me, for an all-rounder cable with a slight emphasis on clarity and transparency, the Symbiote SP is the better value.

Whether or not constant cable-rolling deteriorates your equipment is determined by the quality of both the plug and the socket. Nowadays, most CIEMs have robust sockets that can take months of occasional cable-rolling whilst retaining decent resistance. Also, if your cable's 2-pin connectors are sourced from Eidolic (as is the case with DHC) or Oyaide for example, you can bet they'd last a while too. As long as you plug and unplug carefully, no component will get damaged if they are of a decent quality. The worst that could happen is your IEM's socket will slowly loosen. Even then, it could take months if you cable-roll often, or years if you do it rarely.

Hmm, the Leonidas definitely seems like something I want to avoid. In terms of features, i'm assuming an 8 conductor is a better option for the symbiote?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #1,363 of 4,183
Hmm, the Leonidas definitely seems like something I want to avoid. In terms of features, i'm assuming an 8 conductor is a better option?

Eight-wire IEMs generally have greater headroom and more precise imaging. Although, if ergonomics (i.e. weight, stiffness, etc.) are important to you, a four-conductor wire will certainly suffice. Besides, you'd be paying twice the price at that point, throwing the whole $700-criteria out the window. :D

You have more chance of damaging your headphones. I have beyer t5p's that i was switching between balanced and single ended cables and the connectors have become smoothed out. I would highly recommend against doing this frequently.

At that point, the best option would be to get a balanced-to-single-ended adaptor.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #1,364 of 4,183
Eight-wire IEMs generally have greater headroom and more precise imaging. Although, if ergonomics (i.e. weight, stiffness, etc.) are important to you, a four-conductor wire will certainly suffice. Besides, you'd be paying twice the price at that point, throwing the whole $700-criteria out the window. :D

At that point, the best option would be to get a balanced-to-single-ended adaptor.

Well I believe with the 8 conductor the symbiote would be at 765, unless I forgot about other options.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #1,365 of 4,183
Well I believe with the 8 conductor the symbiote would be at 765, unless I forgot about other options.

Ahh, I stand corrected. DHC's prices are generally somewhat inflated overseas, and I didn't take into consideration the fact that you were local. :D Then yes - if you don't mind the extra weight and girth - an 8-core cable is a great buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back