High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Nov 27, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #1,306 of 4,183
Yeah, but then I switched to Lionheart with U18 :)

I found Fourté doesn't need the warmth of copper if you give it the robust musicality of Leonidas. :D

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #1,307 of 4,183
Yeah, but then I switched to Lionheart with U18 :)
Good thing I already have a Lionheart waiting for the upcoming U18t .. :)

I read both your reviews of the Lionheart and the Horus, great reads, thnx.
In a money-no-object universe (..) which one pairs better with the U18t in your opinion (strictly personal preference..)?

I suppose you didn't hear the Leonidas, as there are no reviews on your website..

As I "have a thing" for EA, my top contenders are currently Horus (..it's a bit out of the budget, but we're on head-fi..) and Leonidas, or just stick to my Lionheart which I already tried with U18t and really liked.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,308 of 4,183

In a money-no-object universe (..) which one pairs better with the U18t in your opinion (strictly personal preference..)?

I suppose you didn't hear the Leonidas, as there are no reviews on your website..

As I "have a thing" for EA, my top contenders are currently Horus (..it's a bit out of the budget, but we're on head-fi..) and Leonidas, or just stick to my Lionheart which I already tried with U18t and really liked.
Not sure if you are aware, or even interested in the slightly less ergonomic option, but @Deezel177 just got the Lionheart 8-wire in for review. When I spoke to Eric a while back, just after they had built the first 8-wire, he indicated that it was quickly becoming his favourite cable because it was a bit warmer and more musical than Horus. He gave some brief impressions here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/effect-audio-cables-thread.787717/page-62#post-13752048

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,309 of 4,183
Not sure if you are aware, or even interested in the slightly less ergonomic option, but @Deezel177 just got the Lionheart 8-wire in for review. When I spoke to Eric a while back, just after they had built the first 8-wire, he indicated that it was quickly becoming his favourite cable because it was a bit warmer and more musical than Horus. He gave some brief impressions here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/effect-audio-cables-thread.787717/page-62#post-13752048
Thnx!!
Well, this sounds interesting.. a better Lionheart (which I already like a lot..).

I'm in Singapore in January for a few days .. so maybe I should postpone this till then and trick Eric in to letting my try everything. :)
I'll drop him a PM!

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #1,310 of 4,183

Lionheart paired up with U18, and i don't even mind 3.5mm termination since after fw2.0 update WM1Z single ended output quality scaled up! Horus is "permanently" attached to TIA Trio, with EA 4.4mm adapter going into balanced output of 1Z (love that pair up!). Fourte is mating with 1960 4wire, micro-details to the max, but pushing it bright. Sadly, I have zero time to enjoy any of these pairs up because whenever I get a free minute, I work on yet another review :frowning2:

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #1,311 of 4,183
Lionheart paired up with U18, and i don't even mind 3.5mm termination since after fw2.0 update WM1Z single ended output quality scaled up! Horus is "permanently" attached to TIA Trio, with EA 4.4mm adapter going into balanced output of 1Z (love that pair up!). Fourte is mating with 1960 4wire, micro-details to the max, but pushing it bright. Sadly, I have zero time to enjoy any of these pairs up because whenever I get a free minute, I work on yet another review :frowning2:
Thank you for confirming my findings, I also really liked SP1000Cu+Lionheart+U18t (although I tried it only for 30ish minutes..).

But I can anyway pass by @EffectAudio in January, what can go wrong? :ksc75smile:

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #1,312 of 4,183
Can somebody tell me the differences between the SilverF1 IEM4 and the IEM-R1?
That would be @MikePortnoy, but unfortunately he does not come round these parts anymore. He has reviewed the IEM4 here on Head-Fi though..
Thank you for confirming my findings, I also really liked SP1000Cu+Lionheart+U18t (although I tried it only for 30ish minutes..).

But I can anyway pass by @EffectAudio in January, what can go wrong? :ksc75smile:
Another nice cable to look out for is the Effect Audio X Music Sanctuary Eos, reasonably priced and also pairs nicely with A18.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #1,318 of 4,183
Sorry if this has been asked previously, but broadly speaking what sorts of changes will a cable typically exhibit in an 8-wire configuration as opposed to 4-wire?

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #1,319 of 4,183
Sorry if this has been asked previously, but broadly speaking what sorts of changes will a cable typically exhibit in an 8-wire configuration as opposed to 4-wire?

Very tricky question, based on the few cables I ‘ve been able to try with different number of wire, it seams that the cable with higher number of wire has a wider soundstage and slightly warmer signature.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #1,320 of 4,183

In my experience, you'll find improvements in headroom, soundstage size, and background blackness. This means the music will play in a larger stage, and the increased headroom will compel you to say things like, "It sounds more open and effortless." Background blackness will also improve, meaning better instrumental resolution as well as an increased sense of transparency. There aren't many cables that shift in tone going from 4-wire to 8-wire; the only one I've experienced is the 1960s (though its coaxial design makes it 2-wire to 4-wire). But, I will soon be reviewing the 8-wire Lionheart with comparisons to the 4-wire variant, so I'll have more to say then. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back