High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Sep 17, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #1,156 of 4,183
Linum bax cable

I have the Bax. I don't along with it well. It's obviously well build and a great concept, but for me it's TOO lightweight. It coils up into it's original state even when wearing and the wire doesn't stay in place over my ear. it always jumps up and away. Shame, cause I do like it.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #1,157 of 4,183
I have the Bax. I don't along with it well. It's obviously well build and a great concept, but for me it's TOO lightweight. It coils up into it's original state even when wearing and the wire doesn't stay in place over my ear. it always jumps up and away. Shame, cause I do like it.

Super BaX doesn't have that problem. :wink:

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #1,158 of 4,183
EA Ares II.

I am mighty impressed with how soft and supple the Ares II and Thor II is. Effect Audio are geniuses.

Thanks, Pinky. How does it compare to something like Forza AudioWorks Hybrid, if you've ever had hands on with that one. I've got one of those for my SE846 and it's nice and subtle, but still coils up quite a lot.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #1,159 of 4,183
Thanks, Pinky. How does it compare to something like Forza AudioWorks Hybrid, if you've ever had hands on with that one. I've got one of those for my SE846 and it's nice and subtle, but still coils up quite a lot.

I have not tried a Forza, sorry. But EA cables have zero spring to them, and will never coil on their own accord. They are THAT soft. :)

Sep 17, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #1,161 of 4,183
How does it compare to something like Forza AudioWorks Hybrid...
The Ares II, that @PinkyPowers recommended, would be a wise choice indeed. Incredible good sq for a $150 cable. I have it on a loan atm and will probably order one myself later on.

Imo it's a much better (more open and clear) sounding cable than the Forza hybrid one, which I also had for quite some months in the past.
Although I'm going on memory here, the FAW hybrid didn't impress me that much. The Ares II does :thumbsup:

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #1,162 of 4,183
I have not tried a Forza, sorry. But EA cables have zero spring to them, and will never coil on their own accord. They are THAT soft. :)

Very interesting, thanks. I've ordered a 2.5mm trrs connector so I can mod one of my existing obsolete cables to see if it's actually worth forking out money for yer another cable.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #1,163 of 4,183
Very intrigued with Lionheart + PSquare plug. Has anyone paired this with LCD i4? Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #1,164 of 4,183
Very intrigued with Lionheart + PSquare plug. Has anyone paired this with LCD i4? Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
I believe @pinciukas has the Lionheart and LCD-i4 pairing, but I don't know if that is with PSquare. And @junix has a Lionheart on order with 2.5mm balanced.

For the difference between the plugs @twister6's review might be helpful:
https://twister6.com/2017/07/28/effect-audio-lionheart-premium-cable/

I'm loving the ergonomics on my Noble Katana stock cable, but would be interested in trying to feed it balanced from my AK70. Any suggestions for highly flexible, no tangle cable? Not looking to spend more than ~$150.
As others have mentioned Ares II might be an interesting option, although I am not sure how it would match with the Katana. It is a relatively bright cable for a pure copper and can push things towards a dryer, more analytical sound. For a very similar cable that stays more on the organic side the PW Audio No.5 might be a good option. @flinkenick has explained that the two cables are different takes on the same signature. Both clear and detailed, but one more analytical (Ares II) and the other more organic (No.5). I have never heard the Katana, so I don't know what would match best, but both are priced the same.

I don't know about the No.5, but the ergonomics on the Ares II are great, especially with the mini y-split (or even musician y-split), and the build quality is amazing as well. Really loving mine!

As an alternative, and sorry to tempt you here, there is Lionheart, which is apparently a great match for the Katana:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/effect-audio-cables-thread.787717/page-53#post-13723912

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #1,165 of 4,183
Sep 18, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #1,166 of 4,183
Just wanted to confirm my Lionheart on order is with PSquared 2.5mm termination.

I plan to use it with SP1000, firstly just wanted a balanced cable for the A&K.. then got hooked up by Effect Audio Lionheart.. read the review on Headfonia, found a few posts on head-fi ..chatted a bit with Effect Audio through PM and placed the order. :)

I think it should be a nice pairing with SP1000 and LCD-i4, knowing my taste.. although the difference should me minimal (which is good, the stock cable is not bad at all, apart from ergonomics) will report back when I receive it and properly "burn-in".

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #1,167 of 4,183
Just wanted to confirm my Lionheart on order is with PSquared 2.5mm termination.

I plan to use it with SP1000, firstly just wanted a balanced cable for the A&K.. then got hooked up by Effect Audio Lionheart.. read the review on Headfonia, found a few posts on head-fi ..chatted a bit with Effect Audio through PM and placed the order. :)

I think it should be a nice pairing with SP1000 and LCD-i4, knowing my taste.. although the difference should me minimal (which is good, the stock cable is not bad at all, apart from ergonomics) will report back when I receive it and properly "burn-in".

Look forward to your impression. Yeah I agree stock cable isn't bad at all and Audeze is selling it on its website for $399 so it should be a pretty good cable with that price tag :thinking:

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #1,168 of 4,183
Thanks, managed to find his post just now on the other thread. Seems like only a slight difference with the stock cable.

Yes it is with PSquared... and would like to add that it's not nearly fully burned in yet. I would need another month before I can make a proper comparison vs the stock cable, but so far I'm really loving the Lionheart. Also, price is not always an indicator of quality.

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #1,169 of 4,183
Yes it is with PSquared... and would like to add that it's not nearly fully burned in yet. I would need another month before I can make a proper comparison vs the stock cable, but so far I'm really loving the Lionheart. Also, price is not always an indicator of quality.

Thanks, look forward to your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back