High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Aug 30, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #1,081 of 4,183
No worries, I am still learning and every bit of information is welcome! If I remember correctly Ref8 has memory wire, so that is not an option for me.

Just heard from my audiologist that a demo UE18+ Pro is on the way and I will be trying out the H8.2 as well, hopefully that will give me a good reference so I can better understand the shootout reviews and make a more informed decision on what I would like in terms of sound. Then I can plan and plot much better! [rubs hands in anticipation] :D
It would be nice when your new Ares II cable arrives before that auditioning, so you can also check the synergy with that one.
But beware: if you like them (and I'm afraid that you will), they will probably hunt you in your dreams (while your wife dreams of puppies) after that auditioning :grin:

I'm also very curious (just like @13candles above) which one of these 2 iems you will like the best, and why :thinking:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #1,082 of 4,183
EA Thor II arrived today!

It's crazy smooth, with none of that brittleness Silver can sometimes give. It does not sound bright. At all. It does sound extra clear and vivid, and maybe some strangely awesome depth. Coming from the plusSound X-Series GPC, tia Fourté has lost a little bass. So I'm not sure if Thor II is the BEST pairing for it. But it's sure as hell not bad! I'm going to put some hours on it tomorrow at work. See what I think then. :D

I really want to try it out on Encore and Spartan! :)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #1,083 of 4,183
I am really excited that you'll be trying those two monitors; especially the UE18+.

I really liked the UE when i tried it on my 2nd audition and will gladly take it over both the VE8 and the W900 which i initially liked ALOT. The coherency and the vocals on the 18+ to me personally, is up there with the very best.

I remember the day when i was trying the VE8 for the third time in a different store and just trying to verify what ive heard on the previous 2 occasions just so i know i won't be leaving no stone unturned... And Indeed, i found myself asking for the UE18 to try again and it felt just right....

Do take your time and ask, read and audition over and over again... And you'll know when you find the right one :wink: Just remember not to allow any salesperson to pressure you into buying anything.

Cheers buddy!

P.S. oh and btw, just incase you're wondering if i decided and bought the UE, lets just say i went on another blind date and picked her instead..... :p
Thanks! Yes, I am really looking forward to trying out both, but especially the UE18+ because Nic explained them as sounding very realistic, which is one of my top criteria for TOTL IEMs. Gisele, my wonderful audiologist, has the UE18+ coming over from a colleague just so I can try them. She is an audiophile's dream audiologist! And she won't pressure me to buy anything, I think my brain will take care of that part...
"You need this in your life." "Your life will be complete."

:D
It would be nice when your new Ares II cable arrives before that auditioning, so you can also check the synergy with that one.
But beware: if you like them (and I'm afraid that you will), they will probably hunt you in your dreams (while your wife dreams of puppies) after that auditioning :grin:

I'm also very curious (just like @13candles above) which one of these 2 iems you will like the best, and why :thinking:
Yes, I thought about that. It would be really nice to try the H8.2 with the Ares II and perhaps give Gisele a chance to hear the difference as well, as I think a lot of her customers would be interested in custom cables (for the looks as well as the sound). Unfortunately, I fear the timing will not work out quite right. I estimated 3 weeks for shipping and Effect Audio was down a few of their production staff because of bad weather, so it might take a little longer than usual. But I will tip Gisele off about Effect Audio for the upcoming Indulgence Show. :wink:

A shame, but on the other hand I will be able to focus better on the stock sound and not get distracted too much. Last time I had it all planned out with a specially prepared playlist and as soon as I had the Ei.3 in my ears that plan went out the door and I had to listen to EVERYTHING! :ksc75smile:

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #1,084 of 4,183
Unfortunately, I fear the timing will not work out quite right. I estimated 3 weeks for shipping and Effect Audio was down a few of their production staff because of bad weather, so it might take a little longer than usual. But I will tip Gisele off about Effect Audio for the upcoming Indulgence Show. :wink:

I made a note to my guys to have it done and ship out ASAP while im out, It should reach you on time; if not soon :p - Check your inbox, i'll send you the tracker :D

-Eric

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #1,085 of 4,183
I made a note to my guys to have it done and ship out ASAP while im out, It should reach you on time; if not soon :p - Check your inbox, i'll send you the tracker :D

-Eric
Thanks Eric! What a wonderful surprise! :grinning:

Should be good then. I will take it along when I see Gisele (Gisele Flower of Aid2Hearing), she will love the Ares II!

Send my thanks to everyone for a stellar job!

Mwb7k.gif

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #1,086 of 4,183
Thor II sure makes for a nice setup. Adds a good bit of warmth to the treble.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #1,088 of 4,183
I'm interested to know how they pair with the KE.

Beautiful cable!

Encore with Thor II is amazing! Listening now.

If you want to smooth out the treble and add warmth WITHOUT adding bass or losing clarity, Thor II is the cable for you.

It makes my tia Fourté sound less like the HD800 and more like my LCD-2.2F. It takes on a liquidy smoothness and is all around less bright in the treble.

This is a very unusual Silver cable. Effect Audio did not lie. :D

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #1,089 of 4,183
IMG_4447.JPG i think we may have reached "peak cable". At tokyo's e-earphone, 3m runs of Kimber's headphone cables are the highest priced items listed, comfortably superceeding hifiman's susvara by a comfortable margin SMH...

fyi, all the "no preview image" entries are kimbers... SMH ...

as a cable believer i get why others shake their heads in disbelief.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #1,091 of 4,183
I posted PW no 5. It's a pretty basic review though :)

http://theheadphonelist.com/pw-audio-no-5/

that tallied with my experience, i had both the ares II and the no. 5, i preferred the sound of the ares II for most of my iems (andro, ibasso, fitear parterre via pwa's fitear/mmcx adapter) tho for andros it's less clear cut and dependent on genres.

the cables themselves, pwa drapes better but effect has better 3.5mm connectors, effect also has better finishing from the 3D shaped heat shrink ear guides; but the pwa has better mmcx connectors which are tight and not prone to swivel.

if there is a hybrid of the two lol...

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #1,092 of 4,183
that tallied with my experience, i had both the ares II and the no. 5, i preferred the sound of the ares II for most of my iems (andro, ibasso, fitear parterre via pwa's fitear/mmcx adapter) tho for andros it's less clear cut and dependent on genres.

the cables themselves, pwa drapes better but effect has better 3.5mm connectors, effect also has better finishing from the 3D shaped heat shrink ear guides; but the pwa has better mmcx connectors which are tight and not prone to swivel.

if there is a hybrid of the two lol...

When it comes to the ergonomics of the heat shrink, connectors, Y-split, etc., you can always get a someone reputable like SGAudioHive or Music Sanctuary to do a retermination with parts of your choosing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back