High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Apr 2, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #3,586 of 4,183
yours is exo 4? look forward to that as well. wonder who got 8x sample and will post impression too

Yes, EXO. X8 impressions would be good, but I personally think comparison between 4 and 8 is what most are looking for. Theoretically, you are cutting the impedance of the cable in half by doubling a number of conductors. Thus sound change will depend on your source, iems/headphones, and how this change in impedance of the cable will affect the sound.

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #3,587 of 4,183
Hopefully people didn't take it as a joke :) To celebrate their 8th year anniversary, @PLUSSOUND introduced today a new Palladium Plated Hybrid cable (palladium plated silver and palladium plated copper wires). Headfonics posted their review today; mine should be up in a few days as well.

ps-palladium-hybrid-09.jpg

Nice ! Really looking into it to see what you think! )))

I cant decide whats best 4 or 8 wires? It always feels like 8 wires is the best option but is it?

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #3,588 of 4,183
Nice ! Really looking into it to see what you think! )))

I cant decide whats best 4 or 8 wires? It always feels like 8 wires is the best option but is it?

You can go into a deep analysis comparing the effect of 4 vs 8 wires impedance change on the sound chain of your DAP/cable/iem. IMHO, the only way to know for sure if when you try it with your particular DAP and your particular pair of IEMs. Changes are not universal because different DAPs have different output impedance and your monitor drivers and crossover design will vary. Just too many variables.

But one thing I can say with certainty, 4 wire will give you the best price/performance/comfort ratio. Compared to 8 wire, 4 wire will be lighter, more pliable (relative to how tight 8 wire braiding is) and will cost 1/2 the price since only half of the material is being used.

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #3,589 of 4,183
You can go into a deep analysis comparing the effect of 4 vs 8 wires impedance change on the sound chain of your DAP/cable/iem. IMHO, the only way to know for sure if when you try it with your particular DAP and your particular pair of IEMs. Changes are not universal because different DAPs have different output impedance and your monitor drivers and crossover design will vary. Just too many variables.

But one thing I can say with certainty, 4 wire will give you the best price/performance/comfort ratio. Compared to 8 wire, 4 wire will be lighter, more pliable (relative to how tight 8 wire braiding is) and will cost 1/2 the price since only half of the material is being used.

I always found 8 wires to sound better some how... Without considering the price :)

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #3,590 of 4,183
I always found 8 wires to sound better some how... Without considering the price :)

Sounds better when you compare to the exact same 4 wire version? But either way, it's all about enjoying what sounds better to us :wink:

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #3,591 of 4,183
Sounds better when you compare to the exact same 4 wire version? But either way, it's all about enjoying what sounds better to us :wink:

exact same cable and eventually even if cables are from different brand I still preferred the 8 wires :)

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #3,592 of 4,183
exact same cable and eventually even if cables are from different brand I still preferred the 8 wires :)

Well, maybe in a near future I will get a chance to compare 4wire vs 8wire of this new @PLUSSOUND palladium plated hybrid cable. But in a meantime, here is a full review.

ps-palladium-hybrid-07.jpg

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #3,593 of 4,183
Anyone have experience of the Ego Audio Tequila cable ?

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #3,594 of 4,183
Apr 8, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #3,595 of 4,183
Well, maybe in a near future I will get a chance to compare 4wire vs 8wire of this new @PLUSSOUND palladium plated hybrid cable. But in a meantime, here is a full review.

ps-palladium-hybrid-07.jpg

Thank you for the great review as usual. I currently have the Leonidas II paired up with my A18t. I’m curious on which pair up you prefer. The U18t with PlusSound’s Palladium Plated Hybrid or U18t with Effect Audio’s Leonidas II?

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #3,597 of 4,183
Does anyone have experience with Beat Audio Lab? I love the look of their emerald cable
I have tried beat billow and beat prima donna for quite long time ago. It is quite great.
Beat billow get a mellow bass and very concert hall experience. but I would say it share similarity quite like labkable pandora.
Prima donna has a great resolution and detail but quite leaner bass. A little bit bright.

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #3,598 of 4,183
Does anyone have experience with Beat Audio Lab? I love the look of their emerald cable

I had the Prima Donna 8-wire for a while and can assure you of two things:

1) it will pass your comfort test with flying colors

I forgot the second thing. I think it sounded good from memory :)

-Collin-

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #3,599 of 4,183
Thank you for the great review as usual. I currently have the Leonidas II paired up with my A18t. I’m curious on which pair up you prefer. The U18t with PlusSound’s Palladium Plated Hybrid or U18t with Effect Audio’s Leonidas II?

Both sound close enough, just a little difference in treble. And that's why I'm leaning more toward PS because with U18t the treble is smoother. Also, since I have Leo II octa, 4 wire PS is lighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back