High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Oct 17, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #3,226 of 4,183
I have the Athena and I completely agree about the hardware options... it’s just a bit meh to have the same stuff on their TOTL as you do on a 70$ cable

Apparently, Satin Audio are currently working on some new gunmetal hardware, which I hope to cover in a future review.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #3,227 of 4,183
Apparently, Satin Audio are currently working on some new gunmetal hardware, which I hope to cover in a future review.
I heard about that too

Satin have quite a lot of potential as a company imo, they’ve only really just gotten started

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #3,228 of 4,183
Great interview as always @twister6!

I have actually been debating buying the Athena in the last few days. I am torn between the 6, or 8-braid option. Obviously the 8-braid is better, but for my general daily use is it worth paying for the difference...or even going with the 4-braid?

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #3,229 of 4,183
Great interview as always @twister6!

I have actually been debating buying the Athena in the last few days. I am torn between the 6, or 8-braid option. Obviously the 8-braid is better, but for my general daily use is it worth paying for the difference...or even going with the 4-braid?
I think if you’re willing to pay the price of the 8 braid it might make more sense to just get a 4w Leonidas II

I own the Athena 8W and the terminations as well as the split are really meh, I’ll have it reterminated at some point

The 4W Athena is probably a good option, as it’s price point is very attractive

Oct 17, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #3,230 of 4,183
I think if you’re willing to pay the price of the 8 braid it might make more sense to just get a 4w Leonidas II

I own the Athena 8W and the terminations as well as the split are really meh, I’ll have it reterminated at some point

I have the Leonidas V1 I was hoping to get another cable like it. Maybe I'll just get the 4-braid Athena as a complementary cable

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #3,231 of 4,183
I have the Leonidas V1 I was hoping to get another cable like it. Maybe I'll just get the 4-braid Athena as a complementary cable
Oh oh just remembered

You should check out DHC - Double Helix Cables

They take a while (about a month or so) but their stuff is really good, one of the best under 1000 options imo

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #3,232 of 4,183
Oh oh just remembered

You should check out DHC - Double Helix Cables

They take a while (about a month or so) but their stuff is really good, one of the best under 1000 options imo

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into that aswell!

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #3,233 of 4,183
@mvvRAZ any DHC recommendations for pairing with the Khan?

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #3,234 of 4,183
@mvvRAZ any DHC recommendations for pairing with the Khan?
Hummm honestly I haven’t played around with the Khan too much... only listened to it 3 or 4 times

Most of my time right now goes to the Elysium/Noir and some Katana/A18t

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #3,235 of 4,183
Hummm honestly I haven’t played around with the Khan too much... only listened to it 3 or 4 times

Most of my time right now goes to the Elysium/Noir and some Katana/A18t
What are your thoughts on the Elysium?

Oct 17, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #3,236 of 4,183
What are your thoughts on the Elysium?
Easily my favourite IEM

I have been a huge fan of the Katana for a long while now and the Elysium is sort of that same experience but on steroids

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #3,237 of 4,183
If you love purple or just love a good cable, I just posted my review of the Ares Audio Sakeishi.

Ares Audio Sakeishi_1.jpg

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #3,238 of 4,183

Well that's not great news. I have a 4w Athena coming at some point, it's currently being built. Maybe they'll continue to take their time and put better hardware on it :)

Also, if you're going to directly rip off the Eidolic 2-pin connector design, at least rip off the functionality and quality too, right? In addition to that, allow me to be frank and say that $85 to upgrade the 4.4mm to a Pentaconn is highway robbery. The identical plug, purchased retail at Moon Audio, is 30 bucks:

https://www.moon-audio.com/4-4mm-pe...WLf-SRSqprJKQ3gCiMjNGQ5A6y3Q9mVEaAm6bEALw_wcB

Even a Furutech CF-7445 (widely regarded as the best 4.4mm plug you can buy) is only $68 to buy at full price from any retailer. Okay that's all for my rant on a cable I have not even received yet. Carry on.

-Collin-

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #3,239 of 4,183
Well that's not great news. I have a 4w Athena coming at some point, it's currently being built. Maybe they'll continue to take their time and put better hardware on it :)

Also, if you're going to directly rip off the Eidolic 2-pin connector design, at least rip off the functionality and quality too, right? In addition to that, allow me to be frank and say that $85 to upgrade the 4.4mm to a Pentaconn is highway robbery. The identical plug, purchased retail at Moon Audio, is 30 bucks:

https://www.moon-audio.com/4-4mm-pe...WLf-SRSqprJKQ3gCiMjNGQ5A6y3Q9mVEaAm6bEALw_wcB

Even a Furutech CF-7445 (widely regarded as the best 4.4mm plug you can buy) is only $68 to buy at full price from any retailer. Okay that's all for my rant on a cable I have not even received yet. Carry on.

-Collin-
I purchased my Athena while it was discounted and I’ll probably be sending it to someone to get better plugs/pins. Their stock stuff isn’t terrible, it just feels a bit plastic-y

Oct 19, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #3,240 of 4,183

-Collin-

Yeah I was so close to buying the 4-wire Athena, then I ended up ordering a DHC 4-wire just because the connector options were so much better. Too bad that Satin doesn't offer more options, or even an option to order a 'basic' or 'premium' one with better connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back