High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Apr 28, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #2,851 of 4,183
So I'm just getting into the world of IEM's and bought the Jomo Flamenco 2018 universals. It comes stock with the EA Aries II cable but I am interested to see if another cable would bring out more from the Flamenco's (which already sound amazing). What would you recommend? I listen mostly to Jazz/Classical and Vocal centric music.

Would the Rhapsodia Copper Wizard MkII be a good match? There seems to be some recommendations for Plussound and EA higher end silver cables here as well. I am getting some headphone cables from Norne as well and I noticed that they do make a silver IEM cable as well.

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #2,852 of 4,183
So I'm just getting into the world of IEM's and bought the Jomo Flamenco 2018 universals. It comes stock with the EA Aries II cable but I am interested to see if another cable would bring out more from the Flamenco's (which already sound amazing). What would you recommend? I listen mostly to Jazz/Classical and Vocal centric music.

Would the Rhapsodia Copper Wizard MkII be a good match? There seems to be some recommendations for Plussound and EA higher end silver cables here as well. I am getting some headphone cables from Norne as well and I noticed that they do make a silver IEM cable as well.

Are there any particular tonal shifts you wanna bring to them? More clarity? More brightness? More warmth? More vocal presence? That should help narrow down your options.

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #2,853 of 4,183
While I have been using IEM's for years now (owned a pair of Shure 425's for 6 years), never looked into the cable side of things. I've recently started using a pair of Westone W30 earphones & love them, but am interested in getting a new cable for them.

Recommendations please?

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #2,854 of 4,183
While I have been using IEM's for years now (owned a pair of Shure 425's for 6 years), never looked into the cable side of things. I've recently started using a pair of Westone W30 earphones & love them, but am interested in getting a new cable for them.

Recommendations please?

I personally found Westone IEMs to pair up great with Linum SuperBaX cable. I mean, most of my cables are 2pin, so can't test everything with Westones, but SuperBaX does the job refining the sound and very comfortable to wear. Ken's ALO Ref8 also pairs up great with Westone, thus used as stock with W80 and ES80, but Ref8 is rather microphonic and has a memory effect/stiff.

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #2,855 of 4,183
Btw, saw today on FB that Musicteck announced they will be carrying the full line up of PWA cables in addition to Effect Audio.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #2,856 of 4,183
Are there any particular tonal shifts you wanna bring to them? More clarity? More brightness? More warmth? More vocal presence? That should help narrow down your options.

I think I'd like it to have a bit more clarity and even more details. Reign the midrange back a bit I think. It sounds forward to me but my reference point are headphones such as the Focal Clear which isn't a fair comparison by any means. Anyway, any cable recommendations would be appreciated!

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #2,857 of 4,183
I think I'd like it to have a bit more clarity and even more details. Reign the midrange back a bit I think. It sounds forward to me but my reference point are headphones such as the Focal Clear which isn't a fair comparison by any means. Anyway, any cable recommendations would be appreciated!

I'd probably recommend PlusSound's Exo Silver + Gold. It's my go-to recommendation for added clarity and detail.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #2,858 of 4,183
i apologise if these comments are intrusively out of context but if this isn't the right place what is? also this is long.

i am aware that bias exists and me saying it exists does not save me from my own bias. that said i am going to try to give some thoughts on difference between the SIlverfi r4 (3.5 mm) and PW1950s (3.5 mm) on Audio64 U18T with WM1Z. i'm going to try to stick to impressions. i'm an engineer but like a flood engineer. i don't know much about sound waves etc.

i'm listening to EDM (black diamond buraka som sistema).

pw 1950s is so loud! on the PW1950s it feels like you are at the front row and the music is being made in the space you occupy or just in front of you. the pw 1950s doesn't have enormous depth of stage or it somehow just pulls each sound forward. all sounds at same volume and pushed forward. i tend to run volume lower because of this. like otherwise it can be a bit "much".

the r4 is alot quieter. i have to turn the player up about ten whole increments. now it is loud but not all of it all of the time. just bits (like cool bits, like the drums). the band has moved back about 100 metres! now instead of it happening like in front of my face it feels like there are bits closer and bits further away. but none of it is as "close" as it was on the PW. i can hear different bits of a song simultaneously. they are different in volume. they are located in different spaces. the space in which the sounds sit is stable and precise but its made out of wood that may or may not last until next year. (my theory with SIlverfi is that the metal that forms the wires is brittle and in fact "disconnected" at numerous points (micro-tears). Impurities and these micro breakages mean that alot happens as that signal travels. Somehow spikey sound stuff gets filtered out. I will call them transients but i don't know if that is the right word. all of the above is in all likelihood quite false. Maybe the maker will come on and tell us how he does it?

OK now impressions as i listen to the "hit" off that record "Kalemba" track 4. I listen to R4, then PW, then R4 again.

R4 - Volume 76
The bounce sound is very 3d. She's talking/rapping and then there is this build and this drum over there and everything is great and resolved and separate. Very enjoyable to listen to. Rap is front and centre. Bounce is central but back. Can hear multiple layers of song very clearly. Treble is not shrill at all. No sibilance at all on this cable. No chance even. One of the things I love about it. No pain that's for sure even though drums are kicking. Can feel bass at song end. Light taps an extraordinary contra-point in my ears spatially (so a bass i can feel plus discrete little taps at back of my head simultaneously, two totally different song parts equally and perfectly rendered).

PW 1950s - Volume 76
Immediately sounds so engaging and slick and exciting. What was i complaining about? (then the drums start). Big and loud. Big. Maybe bigger in the lateral plane. But again the depth thing. not as 3d. black is amazing. probably better than r4. pw 1950s is not happening in a wood building. its a rave on basalt rock with volcanic glass and onyx everywhere. the song is her voice and a drum. can't hear whole other background layers i could with r4.

Re-listen to R4. Again I notice I'm hearing more of background stuff. PW in your face with the big stuff. Very different. PW 1950s is seductive but actually light on detail relatively speaking. R4 is way more reference i would have thought. The song is the rapper and a multitude of effects and percussion. On PW it was a rapper and some very loud drums.

Summary - when the PW listening sample ends I want it end. I can find the PW vaguely claustrophobic. But to qualify that, usually only with extended listening times. The PW sounds so slick and beautiful that i am absolutely charmed by it and my other listening gear when i put it on at the end of the working day (or at the start) for my commute (my most common usage besides home listening sessions etc). Also I might have the M20 in the U18T and perhaps that is the issue for the PW (too much bass). But i doubt it.

I have now finished my "test" and besides the fact that cable stiffness pushes them out of my ear occasionally (customs with R4 might be the dream?) I will stick with the R4 as i try and listen and write a report for work. because i hear so much detail and so much beautiful music thru this incredible cable.

i started this incredibly rewarding pursuit (with IEMs) around September of 2018. I went from stock Audio64 cable to an ALO ref8. The difference to me was so extraordinary and the ALO alleviated the claustrophobia the stock cable induced. I love that on this forum cable believers can believe away. i would however love to understand how it works? have i missed something or is it all a mystery?

also when i first got the pw1950s 2 things struck me. the raw beauty of its sound (slick and so black and so dynamic) but also the incredible ergonomics (as opposed to alo ref8 which is an actual microphone and stiff as). it is an amazing cable.

Apr 29, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #2,859 of 4,183
I personally found Westone IEMs to pair up great with Linum SuperBaX cable. I mean, most of my cables are 2pin, so can't test everything with Westones, but SuperBaX does the job refining the sound and very comfortable to wear. Ken's ALO Ref8 also pairs up great with Westone, thus used as stock with W80 and ES80, but Ref8 is rather microphonic and has a memory effect/stiff.

Thanks for the reply. Probably out of my price range those suggestions, I underestimated how high-end the prices were haha..
I might have a look in the low-end thread.

Apr 29, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #2,860 of 4,183
Shout out to @aaf evo for selling me his PW Audio 1950's, I decided to grab em after using the PW Audio 1960's two-wire. While the 1960's 2-wire is a phenomenal offering from PW, it is unfortunately too bass heavy for the Empire Ears Legend X.
I'm lucky enough to have both the PW Audio 1950's and 1960's 2-wire, so I might as well share some thoughts to all of you lovely head-fiers! :beerchug: Check out my signature for the chain. As you can tell, I'm a huge fan of copper, which is why PW Audio has emptied my wallet.

PW Audio 1960's 2-wire: First thing that grabs you is the bass, holy moly if you thought the LX had bass... It's great for rock/indie/jazz/classical, not so much techno, house, trance, anything with a heavy kick/bass. The bass on the 1960's makes it fatiguing to listen to for long hours (as many mixes are several hours long). The separation and imaging is superb, better than the Ares II by a long shot and edges out the PlusSound Exo Tri-Copper. Soundstage width is much greater compared to the two previously mentioned cables, and depth increasing slightly as well. The Ares II+, while a great stock cable compared to many other offerings from other companies, is easily beat out by the PS Tri-Copper; the Ares II+ sounds congested in comparison to my other cables. The mids are not the front and centre of the 1960's. The timbre and tone that copper creates with mids is something I thoroughly enjoy and the 1960's delivers, hands-down. There is great extension in the highs, no brightness or sibilance whatsoever added. Overall, I would recommend the 1960's to anyone looking to get a TOTL copper cable and those that don't listen to 4 to the floor, bass heavy music. While very expensive at 1K usd, there are a few floating around the used market.

PW Audio 1950's 4-wire: WOW, was the first thing I said when I plugged these in. Thom Yorke's voice just opens up like a book. There is so much air and throatiness behind each word, it's amazing. The LX pairs wonderfully well with the 1950's. I always wanted a little more bump in the upper mids due to the way that the LX is tuned. The 1950's doesn't really add anything to the overall signature of the LX, it just makes it better. The bass's ASDR is perfect. Soundstage is something PW Audio is known for and there is gobs of it here, wider and deeper than the 1960's (probably due to the impedance difference in 2 to 4 wire). Separation is better than the 1960's due to its slight bump in the upper mids giving more emphasis on the instruments in rock/indie/jazz stuff that requires more mids. The mids are where the 1950's really stand out, guitars, synths and vocals really shine now with these babies in. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the highs when compared to the 1960's. While a better cable than the 1960's (for the EE LX YMMV), it is hella expensive, buying it used is the only way I could afford these and justify the high price tag. These things new cost more than a used Chord Hugo 2, I would always recommend upgrading your source over getting new cables. Hell, I would recommend buying the Uptone Iso Regen before getting new cables, garbage in = garbage out.

The PW Audio Century series is definitely one of the best set of copper cables I have personally heard, I'm not a reviewer and I live in the middle of nowhere so access to other cables is tough for me so take my words with a grain of salt regarding comparisons. However, I am a semi-pro DJ/producer that has played on the best sound system in North America, so I know a thing or two about sounds...

Anyways, The PW Audio 1950's are going to be on my Empire Ears Legend X indefinitely! :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #2,861 of 4,183
Shout out to @aaf evo for selling me his PW Audio 1950's, I decided to grab em after using the PW Audio 1960's two-wire. While the 1960's 2-wire is a phenomenal offering from PW, it is unfortunately too bass heavy for the Empire Ears Legend X.
I'm lucky enough to have both the PW Audio 1950's and 1960's 2-wire, so I might as well share some thoughts to all of you lovely head-fiers! :beerchug: Check out my signature for the chain. As you can tell, I'm a huge fan of copper, which is why PW Audio has emptied my wallet.

PW Audio 1960's 2-wire: First thing that grabs you is the bass, holy moly if you thought the LX had bass... It's great for rock/indie/jazz/classical, not so much techno, house, trance, anything with a heavy kick/bass. The bass on the 1960's makes it fatiguing to listen to for long hours (as many mixes are several hours long). The separation and imaging is superb, better than the Ares II by a long shot and edges out the PlusSound Exo Tri-Copper. Soundstage width is much greater compared to the two previously mentioned cables, and depth increasing slightly as well. The Ares II+, while a great stock cable compared to many other offerings from other companies, is easily beat out by the PS Tri-Copper; the Ares II+ sounds congested in comparison to my other cables. The mids are not the front and centre of the 1960's. The timbre and tone that copper creates with mids is something I thoroughly enjoy and the 1960's delivers, hands-down. There is great extension in the highs, no brightness or sibilance whatsoever added. Overall, I would recommend the 1960's to anyone looking to get a TOTL copper cable and those that don't listen to 4 to the floor, bass heavy music. While very expensive at 1K usd, there are a few floating around the used market.

PW Audio 1950's 4-wire: WOW, was the first thing I said when I plugged these in. Thom Yorke's voice just opens up like a book. There is so much air and throatiness behind each word, it's amazing. The LX pairs wonderfully well with the 1950's. I always wanted a little more bump in the upper mids due to the way that the LX is tuned. The 1950's doesn't bring out really add anything to the overall signature of the LX, it just makes it better. The bass's ASDR is perfect. Soundstage is something PW Audio is known for and there is gobs of it here, wider and deeper than the 1960's (probably due to the impedance difference in 2 to 4 wire). Separation is better than the 1960's due to its slight bump in the upper mids giving more emphasis on the instruments in rock/indie/jazz stuff that requires more mids. The mids are where the 1950's really stand out, guitars, synths and vocals really shine now with these babies in. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the highs when compared to the 1960's.

The PW Audio 1950's are going to be on my Empire Ears Legend X indefinitely. :beyersmile:

Really glad youre happy with the pairing! It’s truly amazing.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #2,862 of 4,183
Anyone having a good experience dealing with Music Sanctuary in terms of turn around time?
I am not really complaining about the price of their short 2.5mm>3.5mm adapter (over $ 250) but after about month and half of wait time
my adapter's still somewhere in Germany. I hope I get the adapter this year..

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #2,863 of 4,183
Anyone having a good experience dealing with Music Sanctuary in terms of turn around time?
I am not really complaining about the price of their short 2.5mm>3.5mm adapter (over $ 250) but after about month and half of wait time
my adapter's still somewhere in Germany. I hope I get the adapter this year..

Is that a pigtail adapter with some specific wires? $250 for 2.5mm/3.5mm is kind of high.

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #2,864 of 4,183

The Flamenco is tuned specifically to the Ares ll. You probably want to be a bit careful what you pair it up with. You might consider an Ares ll 8-wire, which will keep the signature pretty close, but it will have a wider spread of instruments and vocals across the soundstage (it will sound "bigger") and it adds a slight bit (to my ears) of lower end and upper end.. And the best part is that it is only $300.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back