High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jan 17, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #2,611 of 4,183
Yep I know about the variables :), I was thinking if with the same variables, less resistance would mean better cable, but it is about sinergy then

Exactly, and that's a reason why, for example, in my cable reviews I try to use more specific pair up examples because describing the "sound" of the cable doesn't make as much sense without a content of what you are pairing it with. Cable doesn't have the sound, but paired up with different earphones/headphones - it can affect/finetune the sound in a different way. Just my humble opinion.

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #2,612 of 4,183
Exactly, and that's a reason why, for example, in my cable reviews I try to use more specific pair up examples because describing the "sound" of the cable doesn't make as much sense without a content of what you are pairing it with. Cable doesn't have the sound, but paired up with different earphones/headphones - it can affect/finetune the sound in a different way. Just my humble opinion.

It can be difficult when you can't try any cable :frowning2:, so I try to ask, in a few time I will receive my first pair of serious iem, an old but still new Ex1000, and I want to try those balanced so I started to learn about cable and which choice can suits better, by now I'm oriented on copper or hybrid silver/gold, but if it is about synergy maybe it is all futile

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,614 of 4,183
@twister6 you need to get your hands on the PW Audio tour kit. I’d love to see your reviews on them. Some of the most impressive cables I’ve had the pleasure of auditioning.

I have reviewed 1960 2wire (4 conductors) and 4wire (8 conductors) about 2 years ago. Great cables, for sure!

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #2,615 of 4,183
Good evening! I thought I would post a few photos of a newer cable David over at Triton Audio Cables has produced, which is the Triton4 but with upgraded 24.5awg copper litz wires. I own several Triton8 (his flagship) cables, but this 4-wire variant is pretty darn incredible for around ~$180. Choices are either pure copper, which I have, or SPC and the ergonomics are without a doubt the most comfortable I have ever experienced.

Pairing with my Dita Dream is perfect. I wanted a cable that would provide the full-bodied impact on the bottom-end and provide a detailed, smooth, still sparkly but not sibilant. The Dream can be pretty energetic up top and this cable preserves that energy, but produces none of the shrill I got with my pure silver cable. And as I mentioned, the bottom-end is dreamy with properly textured bass. Anyway, I probably sound like a fanboy at this point, but I continuously purchase these cables for use in my constant rotation and wanted to show the latest. This 4-wire copper cable is a real winner. Now I'm curious how the SPC sounds!

-Collin-

Are we talking Effect Audio level of micro phonics...? That be so awesome... I have the Triton8 (thank you Collin) and it sounds great but not so much for traveling because of the microphonics.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #2,616 of 4,183
Are we talking Effect Audio level of micro phonics...? That be so awesome... I have the Triton8 (thank you Collin) and it sounds great but not so much for traveling because of the microphonics.

Even softer and more flexible!

Jan 19, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #2,619 of 4,183
I would love to have one as a compliment to my venom.

Indeed, it's a great cable. I do enjoy very much PWA, Effect Audio, and PlusSound cables. And speaking of PlusSound, just posted my full review of their EXO Series Tri-Silver (pure silver, gold-plated silver, and palladium-plated silver wires) Cable here.

ps_tri-silver-14.jpg

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #2,620 of 4,183
@twister6 you need to get your hands on the PW Audio tour kit. I’d love to see your reviews on them. Some of the most impressive cables I’ve had the pleasure of auditioning.

I died a little inside when I saw you were selling your 1950............

-Collin-

Jan 22, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #2,622 of 4,183
I received my Triton 8 Copper IEM cable today but it has left me disappointed for two reasons. The Microphonics are insanely bad with this cable. Any movement and the enjoyment of my IEM's is lost. But the bewildering thing I don't get is the chin slider. It's way bigger than the cable so it serves no purpose at all apart from decoration. Crazy. But the SQ is nice I must admit.

Jan 22, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #2,623 of 4,183
I received my Triton 8 Copper IEM cable today but it has left me disappointed for two reasons. The Microphonics are insanely bad with this cable. Any movement and the enjoyment of my IEM's is lost. But the bewildering thing I don't get is the chin slider. It's way bigger than the cable so it serves no purpose at all apart from decoration. Crazy. But the SQ is nice I must admit.
I have to be honest, I find most cables to be quite microphonic. the only cables that have no problem are those with memory wire ear guides

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #2,624 of 4,183
A few days ago I got in the SilverFi R1 and IEM-X, and finally I got around to a short listening session with the R1 and wanted to share some of my first impressions.

I have been very eager to get an opportunity to try some of SilverFi's cables and not just because a few of my friends around here keep teasing me with their R4's and R5's, but because of my own preference for prioritising tonality and realism over "in your face" resolution. That is also why I bought the Empire Ears Phantom, for instance. From reading about SilverFi I understood them to prioritise tone and timbre to achieve just the sort of sound I look for in my gear. So I was very pleased to receive these two cables and get a chance to pit them against some of my favourite cables.

R1
First off, I have to hand it to SilverFi for making a stunningly beautiful cable. It is a work of art and very much in keeping with the true artisan character of the company SilverFi. It does come with one obvious (and often criticised) drawback and that is that the ergonomics are not among the best out there. This cable is clearly one to use at home behind a desk, or better, lying on the sofa listening to music with your eyes closed. That is what I do and I did not have too many issues. Those issues that I did have such as the cable not looping tightly around my ears and the microphonics (exacerbated by the cable not looping tightly) should be considerably better when the fit is customised to fit your ears, which with demo units is of course impossible to achieve.

I personally would never buy a cable such as the R1 for on-the-go use because I feel the advantages of such a cable would be somewhat wasted if I could not savour the music without distraction. For me the R1 is all about giving my full attention to the music and immersing myself in the image it creates.

So expectations were pretty high and sound-wise I feel the R1 immediately lived up to those. I paired it with my Phantom and I know those IEMs really well, so it was easy to see how the R1 influenced the sound. The R1 gave my Phantom a very large and especially deep stage with outstanding imaging. When listening to classical music such as Paganini's Violin Concerto No.4, I felt that it was yet another step up from my usual cables such as the Effect Audio Eros II 8-wire. Moreover, in terms of tonality the R1 can be described as a "warm silver" cable, but I think that does not quite do it justice. Together with the Phantom the tonality is exceptionally good in the warm-natural way that I prefer. Instruments have body to them and convey the emotion of the music really well. Each instrument is well place in the soundscape and has enough body to not be lost in empty space, while also the clarity to rise above the others when needed. The music flows organically, smoothly and yet with great definition to it. The R1 is a highly resolving cable that much like the Phantom does not push the details forward, but lets the listener find those at their leisure. This is how I personally want my music to sound because it is incredibly immersive and makes the emotion of it tangible.

This is only a very brief "first impression" that I wanted to share because SilverFi is not as well known as some of the other companies, but based on these first impressions I certainly feel they warrant more attention among us "cable connoisseurs". I immediately loved the synergy between the R1 and my Phantom as much as I did the synergy between my Phantom and Leonidas II. In fact, at first glance there seem to be some similarities in the sound, although I have to be careful because the R1 is terminated in 3.5mm SE and my Leonidas II in 2.5mm balanced, which makes quite a difference with my AK70 DAP. Still, it will be very interesting as I get more time in with both cables.

I don’t know if you still have the r1, but would it be possible if we could get an on the ear shot just so I know how they look? I understand that these aren’t very suitable for portable listening but I’m slightly concerned about comfort over long listening sessions (which don’t always take place at home).

Thanks

Jan 27, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #2,625 of 4,183
I don’t know if you still have the r1, but would it be possible if we could get an on the ear shot just so I know how they look? I understand that these aren’t very suitable for portable listening but I’m slightly concerned about comfort over long listening sessions (which don’t always take place at home).

Thanks
I don't own an R1 but any big cable will weigh down heavily on the top of your ears. I have an 8 wire cable that I can't stand to use because it gets too painful to wear. This problem is magnified when you're walking around outside. The up and down motion and swinging of the cable will exacerbate the pain.

That being said, Silver fi cables have cloth coverings so maybe they aren't so uncomfortable YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back