High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Sep 12, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,341 of 4,183
Finally pulled the trigger on the venom with dual 3.5's, I know I discussed it earlier but I didn't actually put money down until now. With such a cable coming from so far away and being so expensive, I wanted to get it right the first time and that required a lot of thinking of possibilities. To me being a user of the Hugo2 (I'll know I'll probably get Hugo3 as well) and Chord's never gonna implement a balanced design because it's unnecessary per their DAC's therefore I went dual 3.5's, one for ground and one for signal. I'll either ground into the coaxial on H2 or I'll find a very small cheap portable player to ground into. I've got a Rio pmp3 device, old school metal and white apple ipod and those little apple players I could use(or modify and use if necessary) since they're just collecting dust. To me, the biggest way to handicap such a cable would be to order it 2.5 and then use an adapter because additional components in the signal path will lower sound quality. Now just gotta wait about 4-5 weeks...

Oh and if anyone can tell me how to modify the aforementioned players in order to ground them(if this is even the right approach to take) or if let me know if they already are, unsure about this stuff, never ventured into this field. Also looking into some IFI signal purification stuff as a possibility, they've got some active grounding stuff I might be able to ground into.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #2,342 of 4,183
In tone, the Thor II is actually clearer than the Ares II, because of a slight rise in the overall treble region. But it gains body, warmth and euphony from an elevated mid-bass. The Ares II has a warmer timbre, but a lower-treble peak gives it an articulation that you'd rarely find in copper cables like the No. 5. If you're looking for a rich and bodied presentation with a clear tone (or more light in the stage), the Thor II would be more suitable. On the other hand, if you want a warmer tinge to instruments paired with more bite, then the Ares II is the one to get.

Any thoughts on how these compare to the Lionheart? Been listening to the Thor II for a few days now with the Oriolus mk2 and, while I love that mid-bass warmth/impact and the clear and smooth treble response, I feel the vocals still aren't as full as I would like them. A neutral tone, kind of similar to when I paired with the Eos. Seems I prefer the warmer vocal timbre(?) you mentioned for the Oriolus.

My last resort is to upgrade to the Lionheart (smoother supposedly), or return to the Ares, but with the 8-wire (since I like the synergy the most with the II+ I have).

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #2,343 of 4,183
Finally pulled the trigger on the venom with dual 3.5's, I know I discussed it earlier but I didn't actually put money down until now. With such a cable coming from so far away and being so expensive, I wanted to get it right the first time and that required a lot of thinking of possibilities. To me being a user of the Hugo2 (I'll know I'll probably get Hugo3 as well) and Chord's never gonna implement a balanced design because it's unnecessary per their DAC's therefore I went dual 3.5's, one for ground and one for signal. I'll either ground into the coaxial on H2 or I'll find a very small cheap portable player to ground into. I've got a Rio pmp3 device, old school metal and white apple ipod and those little apple players I could use(or modify and use if necessary) since they're just collecting dust. To me, the biggest way to handicap such a cable would be to order it 2.5 and then use an adapter because additional components in the signal path will lower sound quality. Now just gotta wait about 4-5 weeks...

Oh and if anyone can tell me how to modify the aforementioned players in order to ground them(if this is even the right approach to take) or if let me know if they already are, unsure about this stuff, never ventured into this field. Also looking into some IFI signal purification stuff as a possibility, they've got some active grounding stuff I might be able to ground into.
Wow, nice purchase. That is the best cable I have heard to date and was wonderful with my hugo 2 > a18 setup. However, I never actually tried the additional shielding instead opting to just let it hang free. May have to try it with my AK next round to see if it does any improvements, but to downgrade to the AK from the H2 would likely offset any advantage.

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #2,344 of 4,183
Wow, nice purchase. That is the best cable I have heard to date and was wonderful with my hugo 2 > a18 setup. However, I never actually tried the additional shielding instead opting to just let it hang free. May have to try it with my AK next round to see if it does any improvements, but to downgrade to the AK from the H2 would likely offset any advantage.

Glad you liked it as well, it is something special and worthy of the name Venom. Awesome that we had the same exact setup too! I did some HD listening with our setup but honestly streamed MP3s on Bandcamp were damn impressive by themselves

Have you dabbled in digital cables? Other than EMI/RF shielding I dont see much of a point, not a believer but I havent heard them either. Currently just using a $7 amazon microb to usbc cable for H2.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #2,345 of 4,183
Digital is harder to advise. Using a Sony to drive it so they cost more with the WM1a adapter to USB. I did particularly like a black dragon H1 adapter back in the day that showed improvement. Optically, my glass is a large step up from the plastic cables. I am optically attached to my PC to drive my H2 to my ZDS when I use it for my desktop.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #2,346 of 4,183
I have tried 2 digital cables with my H2. AQ Cinnamon and the Curious Cable Hugo Link. The Hugo Link costs almost twice as much as the Cinnamon. Both cables brought about improvements in similar aspects, such as a more spacious stage, decompressed instrument and vocal images, better timbre, improved perception of reverbs, better imaging and a smoother treble. These difference were more easily discernible on the Hugo link than the Cinnamon. But I preferred the mids of the Cinnamon over the Hugo link, as it was fuller. Although I say discernible, these differences are minute in nature.

Btw, thanks to an anonymous headfi member here for lending me the Curious Cable on a brief loan.

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #2,347 of 4,183
Any thoughts on how these compare to the Lionheart? Been listening to the Thor II for a few days now with the Oriolus mk2 and, while I love that mid-bass warmth/impact and the clear and smooth treble response, I feel the vocals still aren't as full as I would like them. A neutral tone, kind of similar to when I paired with the Eos. Seems I prefer the warmer vocal timbre(?) you mentioned for the Oriolus.

My last resort is to upgrade to the Lionheart (smoother supposedly), or return to the Ares, but with the 8-wire (since I like the synergy the most with the II+ I have).

I'll compare the two when I visit Effect Audio's HQ in a week-and-a-half. :wink:

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,348 of 4,183
I have tried 2 digital cables with my H2. AQ Cinnamon and the Curious Cable Hugo Link. The Hugo Link costs almost twice as much as the Cinnamon. Both cables brought about improvements in similar aspects, such as a more spacious stage, decompressed instrument and vocal images, better timbre, improved perception of reverbs, better imaging and a smoother treble. These difference were more easily discernible on the Hugo link than the Cinnamon. But I preferred the mids of the Cinnamon over the Hugo link, as it was fuller. Although I say discernible, these differences are minute in nature.

Btw, thanks to an anonymous headfi member here for lending me the Curious Cable on a brief loan.

If the anonymous user is here I'd love to see if I could hear a difference with the Curious cable as well. = )

Sep 16, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #2,351 of 4,183
I'm heading to Bangkok and Seoul soon for two weeks, does anyone have recommendations for shops that carry a wide variety of cables (and IEMs)? Looking to pick something up while I'm out there.

There’s BKK Audio in Bangkok and they carry tons of brands including Empire Ears, Custom Art, Vision Ears, LEAR and more.

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #2,353 of 4,183
I'm heading to Bangkok and Seoul soon for two weeks, does anyone have recommendations for shops that carry a wide variety of cables (and IEMs)? Looking to pick something up while I'm out there.
Thailand : Mungkong Gadget, BKK Audio, Iconic Music, soundproofbros, Zoundaholic
Korea : Soundcat

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #2,354 of 4,183
Just some thoughts on the Silver-Fi IEM-X:

Couldn't spend as much time with the X as I did with the R1. In terms of wire count, X is basically the half of R1. R1 is a wire cable, while the X is a 4 wire cable. Due to the halving of the wire count, the ergonomics of the X is significantly better than that of the R1, but still far from the ergonomics of most other 4 and 8 Wire cables out there. As a result, the price of the X ($500) is also only half of that of R1. Since it was easy to make the X hug over my ears, I didn't run into any microphonic issues.

As for the the sound, I was able to detect a recurring theme between the R1 and X, in terms of the treble tuning and overall tonality. But the 2 cables are different, when it comes to the overall signature and the presentation. Compared to the slightly mid-centric signature of the R1, X is more neutral. X's presentation is also more neutrally placed in direct comparison to the slightly forward placement of the R. Although the R1 pulls ahead of the X in departments such as resolution, precision and finesse, the difference is not significant. In fact, the more neutral sound of the X, makes it a more versatile cable than the R1.

The X is not just relatively neutral to the R1, but is a neutral sounding cable in terms of its overall signature. But the tone of the cable is similar to that of the R1, which is neutral-warm, due to the similarly smooth upper-mids and treble. Because the mids are not as pronounced as on the R1, the bass on the X is a given a chance to shine, not in terms of quantity, but in terms of quality and impact. While I wouldn't say the bass is focused on the mid-bass, between the sub-bass and mid-bass, X's bass has less focus on the sub-bass. So the X is not exactly made for powerful rumbly bass, but the mid-bass displays good impact, while remaining very tight and controlled. While it offers sufficient body and warmth to the mids, it isn't the warmth from the bass that gives the warm tone of the cable.

The midrange is sufficiently full, but not as full and forward as on the R1. Regardless of the difference in the mid-range between the 2 cables, similar to the R1, X is also a cable with a focus on tonality over technicality. So the treble falls on the smooth and forgiving side. I was very appreciative of the presentation of the R1 and the X gets the same levels of kudos. In terms of stage dimensions, airiness, imaging and placement, there is nothing to fault. The depth and layering is not on the same level as the R1, but that is to be expected given the $500 price point.

X vs Ares II:
In the bass, Ares has a stronger sub-bass and the bass in general lacks the quality and control of the X. The level of impact in the mid-bass is similar, but the Ares displays better sub-bass power. The lower-mids on the Ares is thicker, but the center mids are not as full as on the X. As a result, the X presentation of the instruments and vocals is more transparent and presents a more accurate timbre. The warmth and thickness in the lower mids also makes the presentation less airy on the Ares. The treble is smoother on the X but more resolving. In the technical department, X is literally better than the Ares is all departments (separation, layering, staging, imaging). Overall Ares II is a nice entry level upgrade cable. But the X is a notch above the Ares in terms of the performance and also has a better tone.

A more fair comparison would have been the X vs Eros II 8W. Because, both cables not only belong to the same price range (X - $500, Eros 8 - $600), but both are very neutral sounding cables. Unfortunately I had packed the Eros 8, as I was moving, and I couldn't find it in time for a comparison.

great post/impressions

woke up today with a nagging feeling to upgrade my Zeus XR cables (eos/pw5) and i need something under 500$

X seem like a nice option , problem is that all these are blind buys and i need to be super extra perceptive here

edit : i just noticed that those 2 cables are named X and R(1) and i am looking a cable for a ciem named XR

weird synchronicity.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #2,355 of 4,183
great post/impressions

woke up today with a nagging feeling to upgrade my Zeus XR cables (eos/pw5) and i need something under 500$

X seem like a nice option , problem is that all these are blind buys and i need to be super extra perceptive here

Lol. You were quick to correct your post from R1 to X. For the Zeus I'd definitely recommend the X over the R1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back