High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Aug 16, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #2,237 of 4,183
Aug 16, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #2,238 of 4,183
Holy crap dude, are you going to share some of those goodies
I am going to share it with me, I and myself :beyersmile:.
I bought bottom two cables from a headfier member last year and the remaining cables are new bought directly from Brimar.
I am not sure if you still remember me. I messaged you back in April 2017 for your Sony 1Z :smile_phones:

Aug 16, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #2,240 of 4,183
You may wish to read about the differences between balanced and unbalanced output here:
http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/

In the case of 2.5mm output, which is typically R-/R+/L+/L-, if the shielding of a cable like the Venom is wired to the negative poles of a 2.5mm connector together with the inverted signal, you would most likely be introducing more noise into the signal, since 2.5mm balanced output doesn’t have a dedicated ground.

Therefore, HanSound Audio had to use a separate 3.5mm connector to ground the shielding of the cable to the dedicated/separate ground section of a DAP, which will result in the intended function of the cable.

However, for single ended configuration, the Venom can have the shielding shared with the L/R ground.

edit: Will be expanding this post with more examples and explanations later.

I ordered my Venom with dual 3.5's for use with the Chord Hugo2. The coaxial will be used for grounding. This is the beat way I can figure to run the Venom with H2 unless using only one 3.5 or grounding in some other port would be better.

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #2,241 of 4,183
I ordered my Venom with dual 3.5's for use with the Chord Hugo2. The coaxial will be used for grounding. This is the beat way I can figure to run the Venom with H2 unless using only one 3.5 or grounding in some other port would be better.

Did you talk this over with HSA or Music-Sanctuary? I'm not sure if a dual connector is necessary with an unbalanced connection like the Hugo2. The situation that Kozato described was with a balanced design where the shielding has to share a pole with the inverted signal on one side. in a SE 3.5mm/6.3mm you only have the positive signal channels and the ground is already separated on the sleeve. I don't think separating the ground channel of the unbalanced connection from the shield grounding (via a dual connector) would also prevent noise contamination. They are both going to common ground. But, please find out and post back; I would be really curious to know what they say.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #2,242 of 4,183
Did you talk this over with HSA or Music-Sanctuary? I'm not sure if a dual connector is necessary with an unbalanced connection like the Hugo2. The situation that Kozato described was with a balanced design where the shielding has to share a pole with the inverted signal on one side. in a SE 3.5mm/6.3mm you only have the positive signal channels and the ground is already separated on the sleeve. I don't think separating the ground channel of the unbalanced connection from the shield grounding (via a dual connector) would also prevent noise contamination. They are both going to common ground. But, please find out and post back; I would be really curious to know what they say.

I think you misunderstood the intention of the dual connectors. The signal plug can be single-ended or balanced, the other plug is still used for ground shielding only, only question is where do you plug this in to achieve active shielding.

Reminds me of a story I read about HSA Venom's creation from late last year. A fellow audiophile approached HSA with this idea of making a cable with this dual connector design so that he could use one 2.5 mm balanced connector with his AK DAP and a separate 3.5 mm plug that goes to his Mass Kobo amp to provide a cleaner, darker background. HSA took this idea and eventually created the Venom.

This means you can really plug the grounding plug somewhere that's separate from the signal ground, doesn't have to be the same device as long as active shielding is working. You don't want to introduce more noise by plugging this plug to the wrong place of course.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #2,244 of 4,183
I think you misunderstood the intention of the dual connectors. The signal plug can be single-ended or balanced, the other plug is still used for ground shielding only, only question is where do you plug this in to achieve active shielding.

Reminds me of a story I read about HSA Venom's creation from late last year. A fellow audiophile approached HSA with this idea of making a cable with this dual connector design so that he could use one 2.5 mm balanced connector with his AK DAP and a separate 3.5 mm plug that goes to his Mass Kobo amp to provide a cleaner, darker background. HSA took this idea and eventually created the Venom.

This means you can really plug the grounding plug somewhere that's separate from the signal ground, doesn't have to be the same device as long as active shielding is working. You don't want to introduce more noise by plugging this plug to the wrong place of course.
from BARRA "It was made for an AK DAP and plugs into the 3.5mm plug for the ground while using the 2.5mm for a balanced signal. You can still use the 2.5mm without the additional shielded ground and it sounds great. The extra plug just dangles in this case. The Venom is my favorite cable to date and sounded good with everything - wish I would have tried the active shielding option on my AK100ii, but never tried given myfascination/preferences for my other daps."

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #2,245 of 4,183

That's interesting. To my mind, the optimum use of the dual connector still is to separate the shielding ground from balanced signal channels, as Kozato said. It's a neat solution provided you have both a 2.5 and 3.5 port on the same DAP. To use the dual connector in an unbalanced 3.5 and connect the second 3.5 shielding ground to different device altogether is really intriguing. Then it wouldn't just be a matter of separating the ground but isolating the ground plane for the shielding completely. I was thinking of a portable DAP situation, but if you're stationary near multiple devices I guess that works nicely.

Edit: As Barra said, the dual connector was originally intended to be plugged into a single balanced device (AK DAPs). Just to clarify, Ike is looking to plug his dual 3.5 connectors into a single unbalanced device (H2). So, I am still curious to know if HSA thinks this would do anything.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #2,246 of 4,183
That's interesting. To my mind, the optimum use of the dual connector still is to separate the shielding ground from balanced signal channels, as Kozato said. It's a neat solution provided you have both a 2.5 and 3.5 port on the same DAP. To use the dual connector in an unbalanced 3.5 and connect the second 3.5 shielding ground to different device altogether is really intriguing. Then it wouldn't just be a matter of separating the ground but isolating the ground plane for the shielding completely. I was thinking of a portable DAP situation, but if you're stationary near multiple devices I guess that works nicely.

Edit: As Barra said, the dual connector was originally intended to be plugged into a single balanced device (AK DAPs). Just to clarify, Ike is looking to plug his dual 3.5 connectors into a single unbalanced device (H2). So, I am still curious to know if HSA thinks this would do anything.

I just asked HSA via Facebook to confirm this, the signal end can be balanced or single-ended (3.5/6.5 mm). It is also better to make sure the grounds are separate for the two plugs.

I still think you are confusing the functions of these two plugs. Just think of the ground shielding as an "external part" of the design, the cable would still work with/without the ground plug as confirmed by Barra. It has nothing to do with the connection being balanced or not.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #2,247 of 4,183
I just asked HSA via Facebook to confirm this, the signal end can be balanced or single-ended (3.5/6.5 mm). It is also better to make sure the grounds are separate for the two plugs.

I still think you are confusing the functions of these two plugs. Just think of the ground shielding as an "external part" of the design, the cable would still work with/without the ground plug as confirmed by Barra. It has nothing to do with the connection being balanced or not.

Yes–I understand the purpose of the second plug is purely to drain the ground shielding and has nothing to do with the signal channels-balanced or unbalanced. Yes–the cable can be terminated either way, and the cable works just fine with or without the ground plug. We have only been talking about keeping the noise from the ground shielding out of the signal.

That is the whole reason why I bring up the balanced/ unbalanced difference. As I have mentioned, in the 4 pole balanced design you have no poles left for the ground shielding to be separate. So if you want to keep out possible shielding noise you have to add a second plug for that ground. In the 3 pole unbalanced design the ground pole is already separate from the signal poles. The same is true for the 5 pole design in the 4.4. Which is why with the 4.4 Venom you no longer need the dual plug to take full advantage of the separate shield grounding (verified by Music-Sanctuary).

I can see the value in separating the shielding ground from the signal channels. What you are talking about is related but different. Is there value in separating out the shield grounding from the signal grounding (dual 3.5 unbalanced). I have a harder time seeing that because, in the same device, they are both going exactly to the same common ground. If you've confirmed with HSA that there is value in this, I am curious. You mentioned that it is "better." Please share why. I am not confused but I honestly would like to learn.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #2,248 of 4,183
Aug 17, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #2,249 of 4,183
I'm wonder if my inclination toward a warm sligihtly dark sound with an exceptionally black background and high resolution is worse for my hearing than being someone oriented toward a bright sound. With a brighter sounding cable I'd more likely to turn down sooner due to well extended highs but with a warm, dark and smooth cable I'm more likely to crank it up because it just sounds so damn good. It is extremely enjoyable to listen this way, I don't ever go past red on my Hugo2 (sorry for the lack of precision) but it just sounds so damn good to my ears.
Ike,

I have a feeling you will really like Warbler Prelude with good silver balanced cable. It has very black background, great technicality and very musical/ soulful vocally, makes you tap your fingers or feet. It has very smooth treble. I think Deezel can comment more on Prelude. Did you try Prelude yet with silver cable Deezel?

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #2,250 of 4,183
Ike,

I have a feeling you will really like Warbler Prelude with good silver balanced cable. It has very black background, great technicality and very musical/ soulful vocally, makes you tap your fingers or feet. It has very smooth treble. I think Deezel can comment more on Prelude. Did you try Prelude yet with silver cable Deezel?

I haven’t tried the Prelude with a silver cable yet, but I’ve given it a go with the Effect Audio x Music Sanctuary Eos. It has a leaner, crisper sound that’s silver-like; attenuating the lower-midrange and accentuating the upper-treble. It gives the Prelude a lot more openness, air and clarity whilst maintaning much of the IEM’s musicality. Extension both ways improve as well, adding physicality to the bass and air, background blackness and stage stability up top. If I could add a note to my review, it’d be that the Prelude benefits greatly from aftermarket cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back