High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jul 19, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #2,116 of 4,183
New Series of PW Audio with 2 heads (2.5Balance + 3.5Ground) Design. 1980S. Wow Look at that classy insulator. <3

It is just 1630 USD.

upload_2018-7-19_19-50-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-19_19-48-1.png
    upload_2018-7-19_19-48-1.png
    575.3 KB · Views: 0
Jul 21, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #2,117 of 4,183
I’m looking to reterminate a cable and looking at both eidolic and furutech balanced connectors. On paper it seems to me that furutech would outperform eidolic because they use copper for their conductor instead the brass used by eidolic. As I understand it copper is far more conductive than brass. However, I know that eidolic is also very highly regarded.

Would anyone be able to tell me a little bit about the strengths of weakness of the two designs in terms of their relative sound quality. I am less interest in durability as it seems I regularly reterminate with new standards and new gear. I am especially concerned about soundstage, clarity over warmth and treble extension over bass.

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #2,118 of 4,183
I’m looking to reterminate a cable and looking at both eidolic and furutech balanced connectors. On paper it seems to me that furutech would outperform eidolic because they use copper for their conductor instead the brass used by eidolic. As I understand it copper is far more conductive than brass. However, I know that eidolic is also very highly regarded.

Would anyone be able to tell me a little bit about the strengths of weakness of the two designs in terms of their relative sound quality. I am less interest in durability as it seems I regularly reterminate with new standards and new gear. I am especially concerned about soundstage, clarity over warmth and treble extension over bass.
furutech for u, then. has the characteristics you describe. alas, i cannot ocompare direct with eidolic. i can say you cannot go wrong with furutech tho

Jul 21, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #2,119 of 4,183
Somehow I would like to cheer Ranko gold plated plugs. It is cheap yet outperforms its price tag. It is balanced sounding and easily match with most cables.

Eidolic is too warm and smooth out details too much.

Furutech is about impactful and wide soundstage but treble can be too bright. Furutech plug signature is v shape.
It has 2 series
1) generic is more v shape
2) carbon fiber has better mid

But i dont know what is your balanced termination (2.5 or4.4)

My best plug is
- 2.5 is ranko gold
- 3.5 is switchcraft (again, dont get deceived by its price)
- 4.4 is music heaven carbon plug gold plated.

But if you want a little bit detail and treble more than bass, atl rhodium plated is for you.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #2,120 of 4,183
Hi. I have gone cable shopping for my A18t and custom Laylas. For my A18t i was previously using pw audio no5 which sweetened up the highs and gave it more sub bass. I was looking for preferably a silver cable that would bring out the vocals and add more stage width with better extension in highs. I auditioned Labkable titan au, Plusound silver+gold, effect audio horus and thor, dhc elite 19 and symbiote sp v3, pw audio saladin+, loki+, xerxes +, 1960, 1950. From my perspective, The Loki gave it the widest staging followed by elite 19 but loki + gave a slight bump in vocals that refined the sound of the a18t. For my Laylas i am using Brimars Grandmaster which matched very well with the layla's holographic stage and brightened the dark tone. However, i was looking for a something that would have its similar traits but with less sibilance in the +10khz region. I auditioned for my laylas, labkable titan ag, Plussound gps, effect audio horus, mars, dhc elite 19, elite 19 fusion, pw audio xerxes +, 1960, 1950. While none of these cables did the magic the Brimars did, further extending the holographic stage and giving it extraordinary details, Labkable titan Ag fixed the sibilance, giving it a warmer and more relaxed presentation which softened the highs. The horus had the closest presentation to the Brimars , but sounded a bit thin which is not necessary bad. The best out of the cables i tried tho was the elite 19 fusion which matched the Brimars in stage width but didnt seem as holographic. It also had smoother presentation without much sibilance. However the cable it self was way too stiff for me to consider them. Since my laylas are custom, i didnt mind the weight and the thickness but the insulation seemed to hard and stiff for it to be a daily carry. I end up ordering the Loki + for the A18t and decided to wait for a cable to better fit the laylas than my A18ts. I think a effect audio 8 wire bespoke with horus and some other cable for the body or even horus 8 wire might better the Grandmaster. There would be no way to audition such a cable before purchase tho.

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #2,121 of 4,183
Hi. I have gone cable shopping for my A18t and custom Laylas. For my A18t i was previously using pw audio no5 which sweetened up the highs and gave it more sub bass. I was looking for preferably a silver cable that would bring out the vocals and add more stage width with better extension in highs. I auditioned Labkable titan au, Plusound silver+gold, effect audio horus and thor, dhc elite 19 and symbiote sp v3, pw audio saladin+, loki+, xerxes +, 1960, 1950. From my perspective, The Loki gave it the widest staging followed by elite 19 but loki + gave a slight bump in vocals that refined the sound of the a18t. For my Laylas i am using Brimars Grandmaster which matched very well with the layla's holographic stage and brightened the dark tone. However, i was looking for a something that would have its similar traits but with less sibilance in the +10khz region. I auditioned for my laylas, labkable titan ag, Plussound gps, effect audio horus, mars, dhc elite 19, elite 19 fusion, pw audio xerxes +, 1960, 1950. While none of these cables did the magic the Brimars did, further extending the holographic stage and giving it extraordinary details, Labkable titan Ag fixed the sibilance, giving it a warmer and more relaxed presentation which softened the highs. The horus had the closest presentation to the Brimars , but sounded a bit thin which is not necessary bad. The best out of the cables i tried tho was the elite 19 fusion which matched the Brimars in stage width but didnt seem as holographic. It also had smoother presentation without much sibilance. However the cable it self was way too stiff for me to consider them. Since my laylas are custom, i didnt mind the weight and the thickness but the insulation seemed to hard and stiff for it to be a daily carry. I end up ordering the Loki + for the A18t and decided to wait for a cable to better fit the laylas than my A18ts. I think a effect audio 8 wire bespoke with horus and some other cable for the body or even horus 8 wire might better the Grandmaster. There would be no way to audition such a cable before purchase tho.

Did you audition at a shop in Seoul? Which one if so?

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #2,123 of 4,183

Any thoughts on the Saladin and Xerxes? Especially, how it improves over the No.5?

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #2,124 of 4,183
Have you received your Grandmaster back?
If you like Grandmaster for your Layla, you may like Omni King. Both Omni King and Ultimate are latest Brimar cables and Zound may have them. I have Grandmaster for my Layla 2.

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #2,125 of 4,183
schezade, gs sound lab, 1910 shop. If you visit these three you can basically try everything. Also zound has brimars.

Thanks a lot, I'll be in Seoul for a couple days in Sept and plan to stop by. I wonder how their pricing is compared to US. I'm sure I won't be able to resist a purchase or two.

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #2,126 of 4,183
Thanks a lot, I'll be in Seoul for a couple days in Sept and plan to stop by. I wonder how their pricing is compared to US. I'm sure I won't be able to resist a purchase or two.
Because of taxes, they are always more expensive here. But you do get to compare alot more in one shop so if you want to save some cash, you could try things out there and buy online. Let me know if you have a specific brand you want to try and i can let you know which shop carries them.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #2,127 of 4,183
Have you received your Grandmaster back?
If you like Grandmaster for your Layla, you may like Omni King. Both Omni King and Ultimate are latest Brimar cables and Zound may have them. I have Grandmaster for my Layla 2.
Yes i got them back the day before i went to these shops (they charged me 250 for adding bass pods tho) I didnt have enough time to visit Zound this time, but i will sure go try them out next.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #2,128 of 4,183
Any thoughts on the Saladin and Xerxes? Especially, how it improves over the No.5?
No.5 has a very strong sub bass, and sweeter highs. Both Saladin and Xerxes were more tonally balanced, being slightly on the darker/ warmer side compared to Loki or other silver cables. To me Saladin lacked resolution or seemed to roll off in the upper regions and gave a more intimate stage. It has a very smooth and natural sound, but doesnt complement the high resolution, sparkly highs, and open soundstage of the A18ts. Xerxes seemed to be in between Loki and Saladin in terms of tonal balance, having a bit more sparkle than Saladin but not as much as Loki. I could see Xerxes matching very well with some iems but not for the ones i carry.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #2,130 of 4,183
Sorry, it has been a while and I only spent a short time with omni king at Can Jam with different iem. I was more interested with Ultimate. I bought 1 Omni King and 2 Ultimate last month and they will arrive next week.
Here is a review for Brimar Kaiser with A18t in case if you are interested: http://audio-ph.ru/reviews/obzor-kabelya-brimar-kaiser-vosmizhilnyi-provodnik-v-ligu-hi-end
Are you still looking for an adapter from 2pin to JH connector? I saw your post somewhere and I saw that adapter later. That adapter can be handy to test 2pin cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back