High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jan 24, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #1,487 of 4,183
The Lionheart doesn’t really add bass though; it adds note body and thickness whilst smoothing off the top-end (which @olddude indicated he does not want).
Sorry, abt that, to my ears it did add a little bass but wasn't sure abt the treble as I did not have much time to try

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,488 of 4,183
Sorry, abt that, to my ears it did add a little bass but wasn't sure abt the treble as I did not have much time to try

There's no need to apologise; everyone's entitled to their own opinions. The Lionheart's bass has a warmer and more natural tone, because of attenuations in the upper treble. That - plus the Lionheart's rich harmonic presentation in the lower-midrange - contributes to an overall liquidity, laid-backed-ness and organicity; not just in the bass. Having tried the Lionheart with the XR, it gives the Zeus a beautifully rich and organic overall tone, whilst sacrificing some sparkle and bite up top. I personally love the pairing, but based on what @olddude is looking for, it might not be for him.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #1,489 of 4,183
:) Whenever I hear the words "smooth" or "smooth out," I know it's not for me. I like plenty of detail and activity. I want to hear everything going on up there (well, everywhere), as opposed to a wash or wall of sound. The same goes for "musicality." If I had to say what I like, it's "analytical." I like being able to hear inside the music. To me it's the parts that make the whole, not the whole that contains the parts. If that makes sense.

Talking about what we like musically (sound signature) is like talking about food or movies or people that attract us: all of us have different likes and dislikes, different parameters, different desires. I might say, "ick, liver," and you might say, "ahhh, liver."

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #1,490 of 4,183
:) Whenever I hear the words "smooth" or "smooth out," I know it's not for me. I like plenty of detail and activity. I want to hear everything going on up there (well, everywhere), as opposed to a wash or wall of sound. The same goes for "musicality." If I had to say what I like, it's "analytical." I like being able to hear inside the music. To me it's the parts that make the whole, not the whole that contains the parts. If that makes sense.

Talking about what we like musically (sound signature) is like talking about food or movies or people that attract us: all of us have different likes and dislikes, different parameters, different desires. I might say, "ick, liver," and you might say, "ahhh, liver."
giphy.gif

When you're into a bright and analytical soundsignature, you probaby made the right choice with the SP1000 SS, instead of the Cu one :thinking:

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #1,491 of 4,183
Most likely, once I talk myself into it. The good news is it's relatively inexpensive compared to all the other things I could be buying.
I use the Ares II with my Noble Savant, very nice sparkle up top without losing Bass weight. Bass definition seems to improve over stock cable. My favorite cable right now is the OC Cable Zeus UEX 8 strand silver, I’m using with my Encore. Microphonics are very good, not sibilant, quite revealing airy, instrumental separation very good, bass instruments seem more defined, vocals airy and well rendered. I’m impressed with this cable. Settles nicely around my ears and weight for me is a non issue.
I’m heading to Tokyo a week from Thursday will seek out some shops to try cables and iems, will report on my findings.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,492 of 4,183
One more thing, this morning I sat next to my big rig which is pretty resolving and swapped back and forth between the OC 8 wire Zeus UE X silver, the 8 wire silver and copper Monarch, the Ares II, and a Mimic cable silver plated copper sporting a Furutech A/D2 TRS.
The Mimic has some construction issues and Mimic requested that I return them so they could redo the ergonomics, and fix the pins near the earphone. They are very light but do not roll behind the ears. The other cables are well constructed and look very nice to boot.
I picked four tracks Jacinta, “Harlem Nocturne”; Cassandra Wilson, “Strange Fruit”; Macy Gray, “Annabelle” and Holly Cole, Larger Than Life.” Holly Cole and Cassandra Wilson were both DSD recordings. The reason I picked those four - soundstage, bass weight, tonality, air especially around vocals, brass and woodwinds and pretty simple recordings.
I listened to each track several times with each cable to diminish the dreaded placebo effect, each time focusing on a different aspect of the recording (i.e. soundstage, air, etc).
All cables were better than the stock cable in terms of microphonics, with the Effect Ares and Mimic being slightly better than their 8 wire competitors. Walking around I could hear slight cable movements through both OC cables, which I didn’t hear through the lower gauge lower wire count Mimic or Effect cable. Small price to pay for what you get back in musicality.
Microphonics: Mimic 4 of 5; Ares II 4 of 5; OC (both) 3 of 5
Both the Mimic and Effect Ares II seemed the more “spotlighted” or brighter cable. Ever so slightly more sibilant. Treble seemed to extend slightly more on the Ares, more experimentation is need with the Zeus, wasn’t sure if I heard a slight dulling of cymbals, though for me less fatiguing.
Treble/Sibilance on Vocals: Mimic 3 of 5; Ares II 3.5; OC Monarch 4; Zeus 3.75
Stage width on the Mimic was much narrower than any other cable “Anabelle” is a great test of stage width as the opening guitar riff seemed right at my left ear. The Monarch and Ares II outside my left ear and the Zeus further outside my left ear.
Stage width: Mimic 2.5; Ares II 3.5; Monarch 3.5; Zeus 4
I look at bass notes a couple of ways, especially an upright bass, how the fingers squeak across the strings, listening to the texture and detail as the instrument is plucked, bass weight and it’s positioning in the stage. The higher gauge/ lower wire count cables had less weight but showed well in delineating the instrument in pacing and all the other characteristics.
Bass: Mimic 3.5; Ares II 3.5; Monarch 4; Zeus 4
Brass instruments seem to take on a warmer texture through both OC cables. Though their appeared to be a slight annoying resonance on brass instruments with the Ares II and Monarch (to be fair further experimentation is needed, they may have brought out a fault in the recording). My instrument the sax seemed to sound more natural through the OC cables maybe due to the slight brightness as demonstrated by both the Effect Ares and the Mimic Cable. It could be a matching issue, when I get time I’ll try the same experiment with the Wizard Sage which I believe is slightly warmer than the Encore. Vocals sounded natural and slightly more forward in the OC cables, while a slight dryness showed up in the Mimic, the Ares was similar to the OC cables though slightly brighter.
Midrange Mimic 3; Ares II 3.75; Monarch 4.25; Zeus 4
I didn’t want to write a full blown review as the time spent wasn’t enough, just some thoughts based on listening this morning.
Sooner or later I will get my hands on EA Horus or Lionheart and maybe a Brimar cable. Hopefully I’ll run into something in Tokyo before I head up to ski Niseko.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #1,494 of 4,183
@eugene2 : Could you inform me what plug/connector model are your oc cables used?
OC 35cfrt on both 2.5 mm on Monarch 3.5 mm on Zeus
Next time I’ll probably request a Furutech or Oyaide P3

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,496 of 4,183
I've tried the Silver II with the Zeus and it's treble is really nothing to afraid of. It won't sparkle like - say - the DHC Symbiote SP or the PlusSound SPC. I'd argue the Ares II has more of an upper-midrange peak.
I missed this before, maybe that mid peak is what I’m hearing with the Noble Encore Ares II combo. The Ares seems to have more synergy with the Noble Savant, I’m sitting in Starbucks listening to the combo, through an old iPod, vorzuge amp and mojo. This is a great combo at the price. Deezel you have a good ear.
After I receive my Eos for my Layla, I also order Mimics best combo including plugs Furutech to compare the two. Hopefully if I can’t find anything in Tokyo I can go to NY to try the top end cable on display, if these two cables can’t tame the mighty Layla’s . I’ll be looking for the Horus and Lionheart...
If you have any suggestions I’m open...
Also, I just bought a Hugo2 should be here before I leave, makes for an interesting portable rig for my trip.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #1,497 of 4,183
I missed this before, maybe that mid peak is what I’m hearing with the Noble Encore Ares II combo. The Ares seems to have more synergy with the Noble Savant, I’m sitting in Starbucks listening to the combo, through an old iPod, vorzuge amp and mojo. This is a great combo at the price. Deezel you have a good ear.
After I receive my Eos for my Layla, I also order Mimics best combo including plugs Furutech to compare the two. Hopefully if I can’t find anything in Tokyo I can go to NY to try the top end cable on display, if these two cables can’t tame the mighty Layla’s . I’ll be looking for the Horus and Lionheart...
If you have any suggestions I’m open...
Also, I just bought a Hugo2 should be here before I leave, makes for an interesting portable rig for my trip.

If you're looking for a cable that can "tame" an IEM and reduce any sense of peakiness or sibilance, then I'd recommend the Lionheart. It's a cable that introduces liquidity, warmth and smoothness for a more organic overall signature, whilst maintaining excellent clarity and dynamic punch.

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #1,498 of 4,183
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 30, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,499 of 4,183
I splurged on a slight upgrade of my Effect Audio Ares ll single-ended cable and got an Ares ll+ balanced (2.5) to go with my Zeus. I ordered it January 24th and it arrived January 30th (I paid for the quicker delivery option), can't complain about that kind of service. Cost was $219 (plus the shipping). Pretty low-end for this place, but about $70 over the Ares ll, which is already an excellent cable when paired with the Zeus. The wire is thicker and a bit darker in color, the sound is a bit warmer (you don't have to strain to hear that it is warmer), I needed to turn down the volume a bit (using the AK SP1000SS) as the perceptual level seemed to go up (most likely as a result of the added warmth). Notes seem a bit thicker, transparency is slightly lessened due to that thickness, there's more timbre, detail, especially in the upper mids and trebles is still there. The bass and lower mid notes aren't dense, just a bit more...there. It's always a trade-off, in this case give up a bit of that glass-like transparency for a bit more oomph. So far I'm pleased with it. Build quality is excellent, I'm not hearing any microphonics (though I was sitting while going through 20-30 song parts just listening for changes from the older cable). I'll know more in a few days, as I walk with it and get my brain burned in to the new sound. If you have a Zeus and want a bit more timbre and lower end without giving up mids and highs, this might be a good way to go. And, again, this is with an SP1000SS, which has a ton of detail and is not a warmth monster. Other sources might produce a different result.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #1,500 of 4,183

Users who are viewing this thread

Back