High end headphones have their downside
Jan 14, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #61 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif
Pour me another one, bartender.

Think about it, a headphone with rolled off highs would be much better for listening to poorly recorded music with distortion in the guitars. DT990pro have extended highs and not rolled off highs. Good thing I have a pair of JVC Marshmallows so I can listen to The Sex Pistols as they were meant to be heard.

Didnt someone mention the Sennheiser 650's to you? You should give them a try, DT990 is notorious for shrill highs unless you have a good tube anmp and the right tubes and the custom 600Ohm version, otherwise check out the Senns.
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats just one persons opinion.
Certainly more than one around here who don't rank the DT990 as a High-End headphone.

Try one of the SR-007 models..
o2smile.gif

At over 4 grand I don't think I will be trying them any time soon. Anyway, you are getting into irrelevant semantics and I think you know what I meant. DT990 are a popular choice amongst audiophile level headphone users.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didnt someone mention the Sennheiser 650's to you? You should give them a try, DT990 is notorious for shrill highs unless you have a good tube anmp and the right tubes and the custom 600Ohm version, otherwise check out the Senns.
wink.gif

I had HD595 and I know they are not HD650 but HD650 are $650.00 CAD up here and I saw that some people like DT990 better than HD650 so considering the better price I went for those. DT990 don't have shrill highs, they are just extended highs and not rolled off. Maybe next I will buy HD600 or 650. I could have got HD600 for about the same price as DT990.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its kind of like, as talented and powerful and schooled and trained as an opera singer is......he/she prolly cant sing rock, which is supposed to be a low talent [supposedly] style of music. He/she would sing it too enunciated and formed and it wouldnt go over well.

It worked for Klaus Nomi.
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #66 of 76
"It's ironic that they have to make a recording sound like crap so that it won't sound like crap on the systems that sound like crap."

What a great quote. The more resolving the system the smaller your music collection gets.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"It's ironic that they have to make a recording sound like crap so that it won't sound like crap on the systems that sound like crap."

What a great quote. The more resolving the system the smaller your music collection gets.

Too true. I have thousands of CDs, but every so often I go through and sell all the ones that just don't sound good to me anymore. After I finish re-listening to the entire collection with my new headphones and amp, it will be time for another such purge. Well recorded and mastered material sounds so awesome that it renders the rest unlistenable by comparison.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #68 of 76
Whenever I recommend headphones to people I know, I give them the warning that the new headphones will make all their 128 MP3s sound like crud.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #69 of 76
The distortion in these recordings is anecessary part of the experience IMHO.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #70 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raylinds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The distortion in these recordings is anecessary part of the experience IMHO.

Exactly, this is like when people complain about film grain on blu-rays. It creates a certain atmosphere.

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #71 of 76
Quote:

My point is that with a headphone like DT990pro that has extended highs the distortion is too easy to hear and with lower end headphones with rolled off highs it isn't.

The point at which the frequency rolloff occurs on these headphones is nowhere near the actual upper boundary of a guitar. A standard electric guitar extends up to a frequency of about 1 khz -- 2khz with a full octave whammy pedal on the highest fret. That noise would be ghastly on any system, no doubt. When we're talking about rolloff in transducers, it's above 18k. That might clip some of the resonance of said whammied highest fret, but only the 4th harmonic. Maybe that's the claim you're making, that somehow only the 4th harmonic of the highest note on electric guitar is distorted, but I would have to see some documentation of that.

You may well hear distortion on your recordings, but I assure you that frequency rolloff is not what's fixing it.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #72 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I can't understand is why people act as if their whole collection is badly produced music and that their setup should be targeted at the badly produced music, at the expense of their well produced Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree. Without any disrespect, I think all you 'forgiving' loving crowd should just stop listening to crappy produced music and learn to listen to well produced music. The rule in the audiophile world is very simple: garbage in, garbage out. Instead of complaining about your top-quality phones or amps, why not complain about the third-rate sound engineers or producers who don't give a damn about their music?

+1 I have learned to shape my music selection around my headphone setup (I like neutral headphones), rather than the other way around. And obviously, if there is ever a need to listen to lesser quality music, I use my slightly more veiled A900 or even HARX900 instead of my K701.

However, even on distorted music, I can enjoy them on my K701 because as someone pointed out earlier, I like the raspy, gritty sounds of the guitar and the reverberating clanging of the cymbals and sizzling of the snare as being part of the chaotic music of rock.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #73 of 76
The HD-650 for $35 in Canada. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd-...really-401185/

Quote:

I had HD595 and I know they are not HD650 but HD650 are $650.00 CAD up here and I saw that some people like DT990 better than HD650 so considering the better price I went for those. DT990 don't have shrill highs, they are just extended highs and not rolled off. Maybe next I will buy HD600 or 650. I could have got HD600 for about the same price as DT990.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #74 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be able to get some for 300 US. Will J&R: Electronics, Digital Cameras, Computers, Appliances, Software, Video Games, DVDs, CDs . ship to you? How much are the 600's going for up there?

I saw Futureshop online selling one pair only for $400.00 CAD one day. Should have snagged them when I could. No retail stores even sell above HD555 level where I live. Anyway, the issue is not the headphones, it's the recordings themselves.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #75 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by thornygravy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, this is like when people complain about film grain on blu-rays. It creates a certain atmosphere.

Not when it is unintended. The distortion I speak of is unintended clipping and not normal electric guitar distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back