High end headphones have their downside
Jan 12, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #16 of 76
Aww. Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers are such bad recordings.

P.S. No dead horse yet?
deadhorse.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #17 of 76
Now that I have excellent headphones (before, I only had speakers at home and cheap headphones for my portable CD player), I am re-listening to my entire CD collection. CDs that don't sound good on the headphones go into a separate stack. Most of those I will sell (the only exceptions being those that I love too much in terms of content.)

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #18 of 76
I agree completely with the OP.
That's why I want my headphones to be not too detailed and revealing. I rather have headphones that can reproduce music coherence and musical.
With my crappy pop, rock and americana recording, there's really no need to buy expensive headphones.

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can hear too much of the distortion in crap recordings on the guitars on my DT990pro headphones. Ramones, Sex Pistols, New York Dolls, garage bands etc. sound better on lo-fi equipment.

I always thought that that was part of the music when they use the instruments that use. Maybe you are just getting to the point you don't enjoy distorted music as much as you did earlier. Go acoustic.......

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #22 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never realised how badly remastering screws up the sound of older stuff. The one vintage Aerosmith album I have that ISNT remastered is the only one that really sounds great through high-end 'phones
frown.gif

That's kind of an overly broad generalization, isn't it? Besides Aerosmith, what are you basing this claim on?

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #23 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is hogwash, crap recordings still sound better on better systems. i don't know what kind of denial you guys are in...

No...I do see his point, and kinda agree. You don't hear alot of the artifacts. I think that's pretty hard to deny.

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #25 of 76
It all depends on the music you listen to. Lo-fi or compressed rock sounds godawful on good equipment. But if you develop a taste for jazz or classical, the equipment will reward you.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #26 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's kind of an overly broad generalization, isn't it? Besides Aerosmith, what are you basing this claim on?

A number of remastered old albums I have versus a number of original CDs. Thats all I've got.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #27 of 76
i realised the amp plays an important part in distorting the sound...been using a ibasso D3 dac + amp with an alessandro ms pro....it sounds really bad when i play trance or rock. however when i took the amp out...it rocks. fundamentally, the top grade cans are really top grade.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 76
I'm in the process of trying to figure out if my system is showing me the imperfections of the CD or if there is a new resolution revealing different types of mastering theory. Each CD sounds different!

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #29 of 76
Some Cds sound way different now. Ignorance as well as low resolution can be musical bliss.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #30 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some Cds sound way different now. Ignorance as well as low resolution can be musical bliss.

+1. Sensitivity isn't always a good thing. That said, I always enjoy hearing new things in old songs. : O )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back