High end headphones have their downside
Jan 12, 2009 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

milkweg

Banned
I can hear too much of the distortion in crap recordings on the guitars on my DT990pro headphones. Ramones, Sex Pistols, New York Dolls, garage bands etc. sound better on lo-fi equipment.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 76
Also, "Ignorance is bliss".

Once you get yourself involved in high-end audio, you amaze yourself constantly by your reactions of outright disgust as you walk around electronics stores and hear what other people think as "great" sound.
angry_face.gif

And you swear to yourself the world is full of deaf people...

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can hear too much of the distortion in crap recordings on the guitars on my DT990pro headphones. Ramones, Sex Pistols, New York Dolls, garage bands etc. sound better on lo-fi equipment.

Totally agree with you.
I've absolutely nothing against my dt880 it's my favourite phone of all time and i adore them with a passion but some tracks,albums,cd's do indeed sound better on cheaper cans.
My misfits albums sound amazing on Hd202's and aurvana live but sound very imperfect on the 880 so i know what you mean.
It's a case of having the right tools for the job.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
were you drunk when you posted this?

beerchug.gif
Pour me another one, bartender.

Think about it, a headphone with rolled off highs would be much better for listening to poorly recorded music with distortion in the guitars. DT990pro have extended highs and not rolled off highs. Good thing I have a pair of JVC Marshmallows so I can listen to The Sex Pistols as they were meant to be heard.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 76
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Think about it, a headphone with rolled off highs would be much better for listening to poorly recorded music with distortion in the guitars. DT990pro have extended highs and not rolled off highs. Good thing I have a pair of JVC Marshmallows so I can listen to The Sex Pistols as they were meant to be heard.

Lol had this have been the portable phone forum i too would have praised the marshmallows,but seeing as you have i will second that.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

beerchug.gif

The Sex Pistols were not meant to be heard on headphones at all! Their "music" only makes sense on a PA system cranked to the max!
beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 76
It is difficult to listen to music in the car now because it just doesn't sound right. I have a Touareg with a fairly nice 10 speaker dynaudio system too. Sounds terrible!

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 76
In order to make big cans work, you need two things:

-A decent source, not an Ipod or a basic Cd player.

-A serious home head amp.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 76
actually its not the headphones fault but the Amp...which powers the headphone to project the truth.

headphone is just like a projector.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 76
Wait, do you mean distortion in the actual music? As in, from their equipment when they recorded it? Surely thats part of the appeal of a lot rock; that gritty, rasping sound that the guitars make.

Unless you're listening to remastered versions of the classics, in which case I can sympathise. I never realised how badly remastering screws up the sound of older stuff. The one vintage Aerosmith album I have that ISNT remastered is the only one that really sounds great through high-end 'phones
frown.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In order to make big cans work, you need two things:

-A decent source, not an Ipod or a basic Cd player.

-A serious home head amp.

I know everyone likes to diss iPod as source, but I've been quite surprised by how close my 2nd gen iPod Touch with 256 aac VBR files gets me to the real thing. I don't know about the earlier iPods, but the 2nd gen Touch has been a delightful surprise. I intitially got the Touch only for portable listening, but I find myself plugging into my home stereo dock more and more.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Good thing I have a pair of JVC Marshmallows so I can listen to The Sex Pistols as they were meant to be heard.

(emphasis, mine)

This is actually a good point here... you probably have some of this dissatisfaction with modern music that is produced for the masses, as well, right? What do the masses use to listen to this music? MP3 players with cheap earbuds, I'm sure. Either that or low-quality home/car systems. The point is that music producers aren't stupid: they will tailor the sound of a recording to one which will come across best on the medium of the masses. This means limited frequency response and heavy compression, so that the cheap equipment that it will inevitably be played on won't distort and sound like crap.

It's ironic that they have to make a recording sound like crap so that it won't sound like crap on the systems that sound like crap.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back