High end headphones have their downside
Jan 13, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #46 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sex Pistols were not meant to be heard on headphones at all! Their "music" only makes sense on a PA system cranked to the max!
beerchug.gif

QFT!

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #48 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually its not the headphones fault but the Amp...which powers the headphone to project the truth.

headphone is just like a projector.

Yea, that's why I have a Lunchbox pro tube amp arriving in a few days. Been using the amp in my EMU 0404 USB and/or Onkyo SR505. Still, the distortion is in the recording so no amp is going to remove that. My point is that with a headphone like DT990pro that has extended highs the distortion is too easy to hear and with lower end headphones with rolled off highs it isn't.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #49 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, do you mean distortion in the actual music? As in, from their equipment when they recorded it? Surely thats part of the appeal of a lot rock; that gritty, rasping sound that the guitars make.

I mean on some bad recordings the high end of the scale on the guitars distort due to clipping in the recording. And I know what you mean about remastered recordings, 2 weeks ago I bought latest remastered version of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and they have ruined it.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #50 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can hear too much of the distortion in crap recordings on the guitars on my DT990pro headphones. Ramones, Sex Pistols, New York Dolls, garage bands etc. sound better on lo-fi equipment.

Doesn't work on me. I hear loud compressions with any piece of equipment and good stuff still highlights the good parts of badly mastered music.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #51 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree completely with the OP.
That's why I want my headphones to be not too detailed and revealing. I rather have headphones that can reproduce music coherence and musical.
With my crappy pop, rock and americana recording, there's really no need to buy expensive headphones.

Yea, some of that vintage blues and jazz recordings is just not pleasant to listen to on revealing headphones at all.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #52 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the DT990 was regarded as "bright" to put it nicely. Maybe the OP should try some Senns or the AKG 601.

Better still, buy a good tube amp.

Have tube amp on the way. Had Senn HD595 and even those were a bit too revealing for some music. A poor recording with distortion is a poor recording with distortion so it doesn't matter how much money you through at it in hardware it will always sound bad. You just won't notice it as much on lo-fi gear is my point.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #53 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It all depends on the music you listen to. Lo-fi or compressed rock sounds godawful on good equipment. But if you develop a taste for jazz or classical, the equipment will reward you.

Ever listen to some really early jazz recordings? I had some early Louie Armstrong MP3s that I had to delete because they sounded so bad. Was just not pleasant to listen to on headphones.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #54 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hifi does not need to mean you can't enjoy all your musical tastes. Set up you system for what you enjoy to listen too. It drives me nuts when I hear audiophiles that have their systems so tweeked that all they can stand to listen to is Diana Krall and Steely Dan - blah!! Wow listen to Diana breathing and the subtle hint of spit vibrating on her lower lip. Yeah!!

Hehe...I know what you mean. I can now hear Marc Bolan's pick hitting the strings on his guitar on Telegram Sam. I do use EQ when needed.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #55 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't work on me. I hear loud compressions with any piece of equipment and good stuff still highlights the good parts of badly mastered music.

Get a cheap ten dollar transistor radio!

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree.
The Gun Club or Dead Kennedys sounds great on my crappy z-2300's and even better out of the k601 or the HD650. (In particular, Fresh Fruit and Fire Of Love)

Both go for a lofi sound, but the sound man wasn't out to lunch, is all.

I've seen The Gun Club live twice and I've hung out with the members of the band a couple of times too. R.I.P Jeffrey.

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #57 of 76
Quote:

Uh -huh...

HeadWize - Project: An Equalization Circuit for the beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Headphones by LXH2

[size=x-small]"It is my opinion that with this passive equalization circuit, the beyerdynamic DT990 Pros exceed any other headphone in comfort and natural and accurate sound."[/size]

Thats just one persons opinion.
Certainly more than one around here who don't rank the DT990 as a High-End headphone.

Try one of the SR-007 models..
o2smile.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #58 of 76
I reluctantly agree with the OP.

I recently bought some music from Amazon MP3 and while the preview tracks sounded great on my inexpensive Sennheiser headset, when I ran it through my headphone setup (sig), I didn't enjoy it as much because I knew instantly the recording was not for me. Not much of a soundstage, bass not right . . . things which I did not notice otherwise. I still like the music but somewhat regret the music purchase. I think some of it is psychological. I didn't expect anything out of the Sennheiser headset. However when using my setup, I expected to enjoy the music more since the sound would be better and I didn't. Fortunately this is not the case for most of my music.

I usually get around recordings' deficiencies by focusing on the sections that are well done, which as noted, good headphones bring to light.

One way or another, I have no regrets about investing in expensive audio equipment. I am enjoying most of my music, with some exceptions as I noted above, at levels I would not have been able to reach before.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #59 of 76
Quote:

I can hear too much of the distortion in crap recordings on the guitars on my DT990pro headphones. Ramones, Sex Pistols, New York Dolls, garage bands etc. sound better on lo-fi equipment.

Its kind of like, as talented and powerful and schooled and trained as an opera singer is......he/she prolly cant sing rock, which is supposed to be a low talent [supposedly] style of music. He/she would sing it too enunciated and formed and it wouldnt go over well.

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #60 of 76
It works like this, for awhile bad recordings sound beter and beter till you reach a point in equipment where the recordings can be heard with all the imperfections noted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back