High-End Earbuds (VE, Blox, SHOZY etc) and Earbud Gear Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 7, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #991 of 1,031
I've read some reviews and Im not sure what people are getting at when they state that the bk is better than the zen by VE, but that the zen is more "fun"

What is that supposed to mean? If I thought that a pair of headphones where more fun it would be because the SQ was better.
I think this means a tendency to listen to the sound critically against the simple enjoyment of music, IMHO

May 8, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #992 of 1,031
Isn't penonaudio.com based in the states? I wanna dodge the 25% and customs.

Penon is based in Hong Kong. I highly doubt Shozy has a distributor in the Europe or the US. The buy sell forum here is your best bet.

May 8, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #993 of 1,031
@Ira Delphic Yah I searched the forums and found their ebay. Sigh, problem with the forum option is that since I'm abroad not many people are gonna wanna trade since the name and address won't match pp, not to mention the time it would take to find proper trade. Can't be helped.

On a different note, would you agree that the zen/bk give about 60% of say an HD 650? If so, the minimum fees of 25% tax and probably 0-14% customs on them would drive the price over the cost of HD 650 for the bk 2.5 balanced and about 274 usd for zen 2 vanilla. With this line of thinking in mind I question whether it's not better to pick up Hd600 instead, though there definitely is a value to the portability factor and the anti attention. I wonder what the ratio is for getting whacked in the head and robbed between wearing mid-hi-summit headphones vs earbuds or iems.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #994 of 1,031
@Ira Delphic Yah I searched the forums and found their ebay. Sigh, problem with the forum option is that since I'm abroad not many people are gonna wanna trade since the name and address won't match pp, not to mention the time it would take to find proper trade. Can't be helped.

On a different note, would you agree that the zen/bk give about 60% of say an HD 650? If so, the minimum fees of 25% tax and probably 0-14% customs on them would drive the price over the cost of HD 650 for the bk 2.5 balanced and about 274 usd for zen 2 vanilla. With this line of thinking in mind I question whether it's not better to pick up Hd600 instead, though there definitely is a value to the portability factor and the anti attention. I wonder what the ratio is for getting whacked in the head and robbed between wearing mid-hi-summit headphones vs earbuds or iems.
First off, I think the Monk+ are fairly far off from the Zen. I don't really think they are comparable. The Zen is much better. I would just recommend getting the Zen if you can afford it. The Monk+ is a very good earbud for disposable use.

As for the Zen vs. the HD600/HD650, it really depends. A lot of what you are getting when you buy earbuds is the portability, ease of use, and also convenience compared to full size open headphones. Earbuds tend to have a generally open sound like open headphones but fit in your pocket and can be used in work/library environments without bothering other people. That's part of the reason why the only two things I buy are full size headphones and earbuds. With the Zen 2, you are definitely getting 60% of the HD650, that's for sure. However, that means there are noticeable differences between something like the HD650 and the Zen 2. You are trading some of the sound quality away for convenience, size, and portability. However, the Zen definitely provides 60-70% of the overall quality of the HD650. You are likely just going to lose a bit of spatial imaging and a bit of treble detail. Both the Zen 2 and the HD650 have slightly warm sound so they are similar in that regard.

May 12, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #995 of 1,031
First off, I think the Monk+ are fairly far off from the Zen. I don't really think they are comparable. The Zen is much better. I would just recommend getting the Zen if you can afford it. The Monk+ is a very good earbud for disposable use.

As for the Zen vs. the HD600/HD650, it really depends. A lot of what you are getting when you buy earbuds is the portability, ease of use, and also convenience compared to full size open headphones. Earbuds tend to have a generally open sound like open headphones but fit in your pocket and can be used in work/library environments without bothering other people. That's part of the reason why the only two things I buy are full size headphones and earbuds. With the Zen 2, you are definitely getting 60% of the HD650, that's for sure. However, that means there are noticeable differences between something like the HD650 and the Zen 2. You are trading some of the sound quality away for convenience, size, and portability. However, the Zen definitely provides 60-70% of the overall quality of the HD650. You are likely just going to lose a bit of spatial imaging and a bit of treble detail. Both the Zen 2 and the HD650 have slightly warm sound so they are similar in that regard.

Ordered the balanced bks, hopefully they won't whack me with 25% and customs bullshet.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #996 of 1,031
hi all.i looking for new eabud and i found this thread.do anyone help me to choose a new earbud.im confusing with shozy bk,pk1,ty hp650.i want more detail and wide soundstage.and if bass is punchy it would be great for me.So what is the best choice.i really appreciate if you give me some suggestion

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #998 of 1,031
too bad this thread is calm..."Earbuds round up" is usually about cheap chi-earbuds (+lots of useless talks, photos? media etc..) and hi-end stuff rarely appears.
This thread should discuss stuff above 100-140$.

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #999 of 1,031
Guys, anybody?)
During last few months, I have bought 1) ABnormal Diomnes LV2 and 2) Zen2 Black Cardas. Both of them required a lots of power to be driven correctly. You definitely need good, powerful amp to drive them, I guess none of DAPs will work correctly with them.
1) Has amazing extension, resolution and sound overall. They are analytical, but it does not jump to your mind at all. I use them with thin VE foams.
2) Truly fantastic earbuds, which sounds like full-size cans. It is really hard to describe Zen's sound. They do not need any foams or, at least, you can use thin VE foams. Recreation of the sound is sun-like. There is source of sound in the middle, and the rays comes from it in all sides 360 degree. Bass is well textured, mids are clear and full. Highs has wonderful clarity and unusual positioning in the space.

I also own VE monk (original), VE monk+ (PE recabled) and graphene. All of those three are pleasurable, but not as much as my two TOTL one.

Feb 6, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,000 of 1,031
Guys, anybody?)
During last few months, I have bought 1) ABnormal Diomnes LV2 and 2) Zen2 Black Cardas. Both of them required a lots of power to be driven correctly. You definitely need good, powerful amp to drive them, I guess none of DAPs will work correctly with them.
1) Has amazing extension, resolution and sound overall. They are analytical, but it does not jump to your mind at all. I use them with thin VE foams.
2) Truly fantastic earbuds, which sounds like full-size cans. It is really hard to describe Zen's sound. They do not need any foams or, at least, you can use thin VE foams. Recreation of the sound is sun-like. There is source of sound in the middle, and the rays comes from it in all sides 360 degree. Bass is well textured, mids are clear and full. Highs has wonderful clarity and unusual positioning in the space.

I'm thinking of using my original monks for the LV2's.

What do you mean by "but it does not jump to your mind at all"? Which do you prefer?

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,001 of 1,031
I'm thinking of using my original monks for the LV2's.

What do you mean by "but it does not jump to your mind at all"? Which do you prefer?
1) What I meant is, you do not feel it straightforwardly about its analytical sound. You need some time to recognize it, in contrast with, for example, iems such as u12, k10 etc which I just cannot listen to.
2) It is hard question which one do I prefer, because I like musicality, not analyticity. Zen2 black is musical (unbelievable vocals and strings), diomnes v2 - analytical, but extension and echoes on v2 is so good that last month I find myself more with them. I also test graphenes as they are easy to drive buds and have really amazing ditalization.Though, nowadays, I'm still on the stage of thinking and compilation all my thoughts together, because earbuds, probably the hardest thing to differentiate between among all other parts of audio equipment.

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,002 of 1,031
Is goldenSHK's ranking still valid?

I don't know which earbuds to buy?

Cygnus or PK1?
Cygnus or BK? - golden lists Cygnus higher than BK, and yet most of the reviews place BK above Cygnus.
Masya?
PK1 or OK1?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back