High End Bluetooth Headphones
Jan 23, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #841 of 894
Which is the "other thread?" "High End BT Headphones?"  Thanks!
you stubborn.
I suppose I'll have to bring him here so that the trilogy of oldies can be complete.
The three oldest and at same time also nicer people here around.
1wyseman, I introduce to you the other two musketeers.
cehowardNote3, john, I introduce to you the missing musketeer.

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #842 of 894
didn't you say that you'd tried the 1abt? How were they?

Anyway, you two grandpas should visit the other thread, now that 1wiseman is there you three would be a memorable group.
The three muskgrandpas.

Don't you beat me up, but the 1ABTs weren't as good as my M2s.. Maybe that low latency stuff might have been better, but you need all units to have it. Again, straight out, the M2 to me, beat all comers., and they are comfortable to boot.

Will report on how the newer M2s are, and I will visit the thread with the other older guys.. You know we seniors get a lot of perks.. I hate it when they offer me seats on public transportation, but other perks, I like..:)
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #843 of 894
cehowardNote3 and you know you three are my favourite headfiers.
You're welcome there anytime, anyway, I like here, if wyseman visit us, we can have some beers here withn00b2 too.
The fantastic fours and silver surfer.
I'm silver surfer of course.

And, I've loved the m2. I understand you.
But I'm curious to see what the 1abt can do with that new thing (it's called LDAC btw).
Yeah you need also an LDAC player, that's a bummer, but if this thing is so good maybe other companies will want it too.

I also have a good feeling about the M&W M60 which thatonenoob reviewed.
You know, I'm sensible to things like "deep bass".
My audiophile dream is to find something with the presence and power (impact, punch, loudness) of the ATH-WS99BT, the deep solid rumble of Fidelio M2BT and Logitech UE9000, the elegance and smoothness and warmth of the M2AEBT, the balance and incredible detailed highs of the XTZ Headphone Divine, and the soundstage I've yet to find (maybe of the Symphony 1?).

Let's hope.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #844 of 894
Who, me? Old? You've got a lotta nerve...

M&W MW60 $$$$ ...not that there's anything wrong with that.

XTZ Divine Dirac DSP app doesn't work with streaming services (Spotify, Tidal) from what I understand. I find myself using those services a lot lately. (Well, not Tidal; I'm dropping Tidal.)

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #846 of 894

So, that means you have gray hair?

It starts indeed. It still get confused among the brown ones though.
But I just like Silver Surfer more :)
Although I could trade it for the Human Torch. SS is a bit cold, I am more temperamental...

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #847 of 894

Were they speaking about the battery or the cable?
Can you write me in PM the name of who answered to you?

Batteries are indeed generally not covered under warranty, on any BT Headphone (and on almost any Electronic Device) or are covered by a much restricted kind of warranty.
Anyway 6 months is clearly not normal and should be clearly considered a fabrication defect.

You should say what you like in them, what you do not like, what you listen to, etc, so we can suggest something else...

They were speakng of the battery. There were several people on the email response -- I will send it to you via PM. 

While I understand that long term wear on a battery is generally not covered, a failure after 6 months is either a defect, which should be covered, or a design failure, in which case Pendulumic is really doing something wrong.

I liked the Stance S1+ because they sounded the most natural to my ears of any of the BT phones I tried at CanJam last year, and they had a great price/performance balance. My general musical preferences are really varied, but I tend to prefer detail over impact in my headphones, and I tend to be really sensitive to sibilance and harshness. The Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2 cans, for instance, sounded like absolute crap to my ears (well, compared to the Pendulumics).

Since I mostly use my BT cans at the office, battery life isn't so much of a concern, although it'd be nice if they could make it through a workday without needing additional charge time.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #848 of 894
The Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2 cans, for instance, sounded like absolute crap to my ears (well, compared to the Pendulumics).

You mean the Over Ear or the On Ear?
I sincerely cannot think to anything I can suggest you which you could like as much as the S1+ if you find the M2AEBT crap.
The M2OEBT are v-shaped and can be harsh in the highs, but the AEBT were very smooth, warm and natural to my ears, with gentle rolled off highs and zero sibilance or harshness. And much more detailed than the S1+ which had some veil and muddiness on the low mids.

If you can use your PC at work to listen to music, and if you can install there a program for that, I could suggest the XTZ Headphone Divine, as they (when used with the Desktop version of the Dirac Audio Processor provided separately) are a very very detailed, natural, balanced, clear, precise. They get very very crispy and clear highs with Dirac, but I hear no sibilance and feel no harshness. The highs seems gentle to me, in fact I could not reproduce them with EQ without Dirac. With EQ I always get some harshness when I push highs.
I had the impression that Dirac was bringing to life the very high highs, which are not as harsh as those between 6 and 12k, but I have pushed the 18000k with EQ and still got harshness without the detail of Dirac, and if I push higher than 18000 I hear nothing, no improvement in the highs.
So, I would definitely try those. You have 60 days money back guarantee. Look at my review.
The sound is not as warm as the S1+, but more neutral. You can anyway make them warmer with EQ, and the Dirac software has got some other filters which add a bit (or lot) of bass, and the boost 1 would only minimally boost the bass, and only minimally smooth the highs, and may end being better for you eventually. You should have to try.

Some other headphones have been named in my Comparison thread, like the B&W P5 and the M&W M60. From the description of those users they seem to be warm, a bit bassy, detailed.
But very expensive.

The Parrot Zik 2 are quite detailed I must say. With all those tweaks in the App you may find the right sound for you.

The new Sony seem to be loved.

@n00b2 loves the Symphony 1 but you should ask him about the sound, harshness and sibilance.

I love the ATH-WS99BT and I do not find them harsh or sibilant at all, although they can be perceived as harsh at max volume if you are sensitive to harshness, but it is also true that their max vol is quite louder than the max vol of most if not all other BT Headphones. So... At a healthy vol I cannot imagine anybody feeling them harsh. And they are impressively detailed. Quite present anyway, in case you prefer more laid back sound. But you should change earpads and the new ones would make them a BIT more laid back.

About the S1+, I've just written to my contact there to ask for explanations.
I'll let you know here publicly, as it is a matter which everybody must be aware of. And I cannot suggest those headphones anymore if things are like this.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #849 of 894

I thought it was the over-ear version, but all of a sudden, I can't find it in my notes. I tend to really dislike high end roll-offs, and my memory of the Sennheisers was of a mid-low centric phone that just sounded artificial compared to the Pendulumics. The Stance S1+ did have some clarity issues compared to, say, my Westone IEMs or the planar magnetic cans that I tend to favor. On the other hand, at $200 vs. the $600 MSRP for those Sennheisers, it was a no-brainer.

Also, my ears are really sensitive in general. I tend to listen at a much lower level than most people. Would never have considered the ATH-WS99BT, because I'm really not a basshead -- I like extension and speed, but don't like the midbass bumps that are so often used to make bass more prominent.

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #850 of 894
  my memory of the Sennheisers was of a mid-low centric phone

Would never have considered the ATH-WS99BT, because I'm really not a basshead -- I like extension and speed, but don't like the midbass bumps

I find your definition of the Senny more fitting to the AE than to the OE. So you probably have tried the AE.
It is a quite exaggerated definition anyway imo. mid-low centric is something else to me, like the Sony MDR-XB950BT or the House of Marley Liberate XLBT, and we are anyway still at a relatively high level (there are much worse kind of mid-low centric).

Anyway, tastes are tastes, so, the Senny is out for you.
You may have missed my review of the ATH if you consider it only good for bassheads. And you may have missed to read the sections "my ideology" and "my methodology" on the opening post of my Comparison thread, if you believe I would put at N°1 of my list something which can only please bassheads.
Yes it is true that I also test with EQ and that I may rate higher something which with EQ can assume more signatures (even if out of the box it is a bit bassy) than something that can only do what it does out of the box (i.e. neutral).
But, to get to N°1 of my list something must sound quite balanced out of the box.
Of course, it would be cool if you would use EQ, it would make your life much easier when looking for the right headphone. There will always be something too much or missing, out of the box.

But back to the suggestions, I believe that the ATH could please you but it is complicated for someone like you, and to be honest, I am not 100% sure they would be ok if you use them at very low volume. They have very big drivers, and big drivers need some volume to shine, otherwise all sounds a bit dull (which is where EQ would help, like once upon a time in the Amps at home there was the button "loudness" which boosted bass and highs and I never listened to my father when he said that that was only meant for low volume listening).
So, let's forget the ATH.

Ah yes, how can I have forgotten. The AKG K845BT.
They may be what you want. They can sound "cold" at first, if you are used to the S1+, which, natural or not, they add some warmth to the sound. Which I liked. But I have also liked the better detail and almost no veil of the Akg. The highs are not so "airy" as the XTZ but are very good, some of the best around, without being harsh.
The bass is perfect for you, just right, not boosted at all. Not basshead on any means.
I still consider the XTZ superior (when used with Dirac), but, XTZ are on ear, so, it may be also a matter of preferences.

Other than that you find on my list only the Phiaton Chord which may be of your liking, really soft sounding, balanced, gentle.

Just now a guy on the other thread posted about the Beoplay H7 and you may want to read that and eventually ask him. You could ask thatonenoob about m&w m60 vs b&0 h7.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #851 of 894

Were they speaking about the battery or the cable?
Can you write me in PM the name of who answered to you?

Batteries are indeed generally not covered under warranty, on any BT Headphone (and on almost any Electronic Device) or are covered by a much restricted kind of warranty.
Anyway 6 months is clearly not normal and should be clearly considered a fabrication defect.

You should say what you like in them, what you do not like, what you listen to, etc, so we can suggest something else...

I am the Business Development Director for Pendulumic

Unfortunately, as depicted in the Pendulumic Warranty Terms & Conditions, the warranty does not cover internal batteries for more than 6 months.
I am not sure are you the guy wrote to Pendulumic HQ end of last year. We replied to offer the service of replacing the internal lithium batteries, to our policy to pay the freight costs when returning the headphones to us.

We value your feedback.And do tell me your location, i'd be happy to discuss OR do special arrangement and other options: you might want to write to me directly daniel@pendulumic.com Or chuck@pendulumic.com (if it is for USA/Canada), you can be confident that Pendulumic can find you a satisfactory solution.

Very Best Regards
Daniel Chiau

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #852 of 894
Very Best Regards
Daniel Chiau

Hi Daniel,

thanks for taking the time to show up here and offer a solution.
The guy with the problem is @Trager, I was answering to his post.
I am the reviewer who is in contact with Mr Chunbeng and was in contact with Mike (who is no more with Pendulumic, he told me).
I had such a good impression of Pendulumic that I was shocked by this story and I offered my help.
You talk of 6 months. On your website it says that the warranty does not cover internal or external batteries at all.
And according to my information the answer which Trager received from your Alan was that "the warranty does not cover internal batteries, you'll have to make do with alkaline batteries".
He offered him to pay to have the battery replaced and said "Repair and other miscellaneous costs, and not forgetting freight charges, will render the endeavor not worth the money and effort.".
So, he did not apparently, offered any kind of help, not even the freight costs.
But even if you now tell me that the warranty covers the battery, for me 6 months are a very major no go and I am not aware of anybody else doing this. You may inform me of the contrary if you can name other producers who offer only 6 months for the battery.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #853 of 894
Mike (Johnson, I assume) is no longer with Pendulumic? He was actually the guy who sold me my phones.

Unfortunately, as depicted in the Pendulumic Warranty Terms & Conditions, the warranty does not cover internal batteries for more than 6 months.
I am not sure are you the guy wrote to Pendulumic HQ end of last year. We replied to offer the service of replacing the internal lithium batteries, to our policy to pay the freight costs when returning the headphones to us.

We value your feedback.And do tell me your location, i'd be happy to discuss OR do special arrangement and other options: you might want to write to me directly daniel@pendulumic.com Or chuck@pendulumic.com (if it is for USA/Canada), you can be confident that Pendulumic can find you a satisfactory solution.

Very Best Regards
Daniel Chiau

I was the person with the original issue, and yes, it was me who emailed at the end of last year. As @dc8222 stated (since I forwarded him your support response), your support technician specifically stated that I would be liable for the shipping and repair costs, and thus, it would not be worthwhile for me to have my headphones repaired. As it turns out, the problem was with a faulty USB cable that I was using to charge my headphones with. However, the fact that you were unwilling to stand by what any reasonable person would consider a manufacturing defect is a pretty serious red flag. Your current user guide does state that the warranty doesn't cover batteries at all (there's a specific exclusion, in fact), so I'm not sure where that 6 month number you mentioned comes from. Also, the fact that your support went immediately from my description of the problem (headphones don't appear to be charging) to "We don't handle those kind of problems and it'll cost more than the headphones are worth, so that's that" is a bit troubling. It's a good thing that I'm an electrical engineer and I got curious about what kind of power the cans were drawing during charging (which is what led me to discover the problem with the charge cable, since it was showing weird IC effects).

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #854 of 894

I was the person with the original issue, and yes, it was me who emailed at the end of last year. As @dc8222 stated (since I forwarded him your support response), your support technician specifically stated that I would be liable for the shipping and repair costs, and thus, it would not be worthwhile for me to have my headphones repaired. As it turns out, the problem was with a faulty USB cable that I was using to charge my headphones with. However, the fact that you were unwilling to stand by what any reasonable person would consider a manufacturing defect is a pretty serious red flag. Your current user guide does state that the warranty doesn't cover batteries at all (there's a specific exclusion, in fact), so I'm not sure where that 6 month number you mentioned comes from. Also, the fact that your support went immediately from my description of the problem (headphones don't appear to be charging) to "We don't handle those kind of problems and it'll cost more than the headphones are worth, so that's that" is a bit troubling. It's a good thing that I'm an electrical engineer and I got curious about what kind of power the cans were drawing during charging (which is what led me to discover the problem with the charge cable, since it was showing weird IC effects).

Hi Trager

My job is make sure that all Pendulumic customers receive courteous, prompt attention to their problems and special needs.
Again, I m sorry for the inconvenience you expereinced, we will take measures to see that this oversight does not happen again.
But because you enjoying our S1+ so much, we are giving a pair of S1+ Headphone Cover sponge and Pendulumic T shirt.
Meantime, if we still can help you in any other way, please contact me or USA office, Mr. Chuck

Very Best Regards
Daniel Chiua

P.S. we are glad to hear that you like the sound of S1+

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #855 of 894

Hi Daniel,

thanks for taking the time to show up here and offer a solution.
The guy with the problem is @Trager, I was answering to his post.
I am the reviewer who is in contact with Mr Chunbeng and was in contact with Mike (who is no more with Pendulumic, he told me).
I had such a good impression of Pendulumic that I was shocked by this story and I offered my help.
You talk of 6 months. On your website it says that the warranty does not cover internal or external batteries at all.
And according to my information the answer which Trager received from your Alan was that "the warranty does not cover internal batteries, you'll have to make do with alkaline batteries".
He offered him to pay to have the battery replaced and said "Repair and other miscellaneous costs, and not forgetting freight charges, will render the endeavor not worth the money and effort.".
So, he did not apparently, offered any kind of help, not even the freight costs.
But even if you now tell me that the warranty covers the battery, for me 6 months are a very major no go and I am not aware of anybody else doing this. You may inform me of the contrary if you can name other producers who offer only 6 months for the battery.

Hi Giogio
Thank you answering and bringing this matter to our attention, we will RELOOK and discuss internally on this warranty policy. We will post an update here 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back