High End Bluetooth Headphones
May 8, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #781 of 894

I just want to update y'all on this. Avantree never sent the new Priva to test.  Said that they will be delayed due to problems with the new unit still.  So I don't know if they really are going to send me a new unit to test or if they were just trying to give a good PR image. Looks like they may just forget about this.  I will update when and if they ever send me an actual new Priva unit.

They are not ready with that. I am a tester and I did not even get a test unit pre release, so, they are definitely not trying to avoid you.
I can assure you it is not their style.
And if it will ever become, I would be the first cuting them out of my life forever.
But I am very very confident that they are not.

I have skyped personally with the Manager/Owner.
I personally had suggested them to stop the production of the new priva and rethink the whole production, concentrating on three products:
1) usb dongle, class 1, low latency (it will be, like the Sannheiser BTD500, independent from the OS, so, no need for a BT stack like the crappy buggy CSR Harmony). A Dongle does not have all these pasages from analog to digital, so it is the best solution for PC, Tablets, Notebooks. And it is much smaller than a Priva, so, much better for portability
2) their new big adapter, stationary (no battery but AC power) with a bigger antenna, optical and 3.5 inputs, also class 1, and low latency. This is, imo, the only 3.5 transmitter they need. Because nobody needs, correct me if I am wrong, a portable 3.5 transmitter. Most people who used the priva and the saturn used them for TV. And for that, the big one is better. The only people who would ever possibly need a portable transmitter are those without APTX on their smartphone. I do not believe it is a big market... Not as big to justify the r&d and production of a new priva.
3) a very small, sexy looking, powerful receiver which should be able to be used with all possible wired headphones (the 3.5 ones with non detachable cable, and the 3.5 and 2.5 ones with detachable cable). Class 2, low latency. This could be the most requested receiver on the market, for portable use. As long as its amp is powerful enough, it could bluetoothify virtually any wired headphone. And IF it is possible to make it transceiver it would be another reason not to make the new priva. Or make it in two versions, a TX and a RX.

So, these three, and eventually keep selling Priva and Saturn Pro till they are requested.

But, this is my point of view.
Maybe you can say what you think.
They have accepted the idea of the Dongle, which I am very proud of, I have seen the proposed design and, well, it looks AMAZING, it will KILL the BTD500.
The Big one was already their idea, i just pushed for the Class 1.
The universal receiver, they are not sure.
But I do not surrender yet :wink:

May 9, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #782 of 894
  They are not ready with that. I am a tester and I did not even get a test unit pre release, so, they are definitely not trying to avoid you.
I can assure you it is not their style.
And if it will ever become, I would be the first cuting them out of my life forever.
But I am very very confident that they are not.

I have skyped personally with the Manager/Owner.
I personally had suggested them to stop the production of the new priva and rethink the whole production, concentrating on three products:
1) usb dongle, class 1, low latency (it will be, like the Sannheiser BTD500, independent from the OS, so, no need for a BT stack like the crappy buggy CSR Harmony). A Dongle does not have all these pasages from analog to digital, so it is the best solution for PC, Tablets, Notebooks. And it is much smaller than a Priva, so, much better for portability
2) their new big adapter, stationary (no battery but AC power) with a bigger antenna, optical and 3.5 inputs, also class 1, and low latency. This is, imo, the only 3.5 transmitter they need. Because nobody needs, correct me if I am wrong, a portable 3.5 transmitter. Most people who used the priva and the saturn used them for TV. And for that, the big one is better. The only people who would ever possibly need a portable transmitter are those without APTX on their smartphone. I do not believe it is a big market... Not as big to justify the r&d and production of a new priva.
3) a very small, sexy looking, powerful receiver which should be able to be used with all possible wired headphones (the 3.5 ones with non detachable cable, and the 3.5 and 2.5 ones with detachable cable). Class 2, low latency. This could be the most requested receiver on the market, for portable use. As long as its amp is powerful enough, it could bluetoothify virtually any wired headphone. And IF it is possible to make it transceiver it would be another reason not to make the new priva. Or make it in two versions, a TX and a RX.

So, these three, and eventually keep selling Priva and Saturn Pro till they are requested.

But, this is my point of view.
Maybe you can say what you think.
They have accepted the idea of the Dongle, which I am very proud of, I have seen the proposed design and, well, it looks AMAZING, it will KILL the BTD500.
The Big one was already their idea, i just pushed for the Class 1.
The universal receiver, they are not sure.
But I do not surrender yet :wink:

I agree with much of your points however, I have no issue with the AZIO or Supertech CSR USB 4.0 AptX enabled dongles.  They work perfectly fine for me for streaming AptX to my Bluetooth headphones and receivers.  I have now both the Avantree Priva (bought it again cheaper on eBay)  and I have the pair of Avantree Saturn Pro Tx/Rx set.  Both work just fine for the most part but the only two things I would improve or change are:
1) Their transmit range is not as good or strong as the USB 4.0 Aptx CSR dongles.
2) More serious flaw that makes me want to return them is that they have an automatic cut off when audio signal levels go below a certain level.  On quiet passages of music or dialog or anything, the Saturn Pro and the Priva both chop in and out the audio during low level signals or near quiet scenes or music passages.  I make home hi-fi recordings and on some of my recordings of ambient noises where there is quiet listening to say crickets creaking in the background or bird call sounds, the audio would go dead and skip on and off causing an interruption of listening enjoyment or analysis of the recording.  This is terrible design philosophy for an audio device.  They should remove that automatic level control and not power off the Bluetooth TX/RX during quiet or low level audio signals.  That's my main gripe about these units.  Other than that they are better than any other Bluetooth AptX TX/RX units that I have tried so far including the Miccus TX4 and AX4 units  and ZIO branded units found on amazon.  Avantree makes the best one out of those but still needs improvement I mention above.

May 9, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #783 of 894
Yeah, the new Avantree dongle will be class 1 and low latency (only one on the market).

And yeah, some of the things they want to improve on the new Priva are exactly what you said, this cutting silences.
And the dual link will work in aptx mode now (this seems more problematic to get, due to the limitations of the chipsets, that's also why it's taking longer)

May 27, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #784 of 894
Forgot where I read it, but a few sources said that "Bluetooth" wireless do not sound as well as wireless such as the ones Sennheiser makes.(Radio frequency)
I use them only while using my desktop PC.
I have Sennheiser 180 .
Anyone have an opinion on the sound quality of Bluetooth vs. Infared or Radio frequency?

May 28, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #785 of 894
  Forgot where I read it, but a few sources said that "Bluetooth" wireless do not sound as well as wireless such as the ones Sennheiser makes.(Radio frequency)
I use them only while using my desktop PC.
I have Sennheiser 180 .
Anyone have an opinion on the sound quality of Bluetooth vs. Infared or Radio frequency?

From a technical standpoint the wireless technology used in the RS series is far superior to bluetooth. If someone made identical headphones one with bluetooth and one with kleer/DSS as used in the RS 180/220 the one with bluetooth will sound worse. For individual headphones though it still depends on the quality of the headphones themselves. The RS 220 for me is still easily the best sounding wireless headphones but some of the newer high end bluetooth headphones definitely sound better than some of the cheaper kleer models. You should try and compare your RS 180 to some of the better bluetooth models out there and see what you think. Been a while since I've listened to the 180 but from memory it is still better than all the bluetooth headphones I've tried (the open back aspect of it helps a lot there).

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #789 of 894
I have been totally enjoying my plantronic back beat pros, but wondering if there something newer and better sounding now with all the same features? Crazy Battery life, noise cancelling, and good bass, multiple source, etc.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #790 of 894
I have been totally enjoying my plantronic back beat pros, but wondering if there something newer and better sounding now with all the same features? Crazy Battery life, noise cancelling, and good bass, multiple source, etc.

The Audio Technica WS99BT.. Just buy the HM5 earpads for them and you will be blown away by the bass impact and sound clarity.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #793 of 894
No noise cancellation on the WS99BT though?

If you're happy with the BBP (earcups too small for many, and bulky), then I don't think there's anything better out from a technical point of view; only audio depending on your preference.

You could try the new Denon GC20 and the Definitive Technology Symphony 1.
There's a table in the thead in my signature that outlines some options.

But from what I've read the BBP still have the best range. The other headphones also don't detect when you take them off like the BBP too.

So from a technical point of the view the BBP are probably still unmatched.

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #795 of 894
I use the Jabra Move On-Ear for workouts. It isn't sweat proof but it is lightweight and doesn't fall off easily. It has a fairly balanced sound with good punch. For runs, I just recently ordered the jlab Epic Bluetooth In-Ears based on the recommendation by Wirecutter. I hope to receive it soon and comment on them. Presently, I use the wired Sol Republic Relays for runs.

I very briefly had the Jaybird Bluebud X. I found the sound a little too treble forward for my taste and the fit a little too big.

Here's a good video rundown some other execise headphones:

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/39u7RST30Mo[/VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back