High End Bluetooth Headphones
Apr 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #751 of 894
That's exactly what I told him, Giogio. Honestly, I haven't even tried wired, because I love the wireless convenience when I'm listening in my office, and that's really the only place that I use my S1+ cans. 

I love Definitive Technology, but I don't like ANC and I don't like that they're over twice what I paid for my Pendulumics. I don't have THAT much faith in BT audio quality to be interested in spending more than $200. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #752 of 894
Have two real nice BT Headphones right now- the Pendalumic S1+ and the B&O H8.  Was looking for a good travel/walking headphone, ended up with a used pair of H8's mainly for ANC for airplanes.  Bought the Pendalumics on a whim, glad I did.
The H8's are reasonably comfortable, decent sound- tight bass, good clarity and clear midrange.   Some BT connection noise, decent noise cancellation.
The PEndalumics are a revelation, great sound- bass/mids/treble are sound great- compared to my Tesla T5p and HE 400's.  So many different variables here, including impedence, amps, cabling, etc.  Still, the S1+'s really sound nice and have a pretty good microphone and phone function.  The build could be better, but they only cost 200, the H8's are 500, Teslas much more.  
I will use H8's for plane travel, Pendalumics for daily walks, etc.  
Strongly recommend a look at these.  

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #753 of 894
  That's exactly what I told him, Giogio. Honestly, I haven't even tried wired, because I love the wireless convenience when I'm listening in my office, and that's really the only place that I use my S1+ cans. 

I love Definitive Technology, but I don't like ANC and I don't like that they're over twice what I paid for my Pendulumics. I don't have THAT much faith in BT audio quality to be interested in spending more than $200. 

You should find out whether he thought the wired or wireless mode sounded better. Can't just attribute it to compression if the bluetooth mode sounds better like most people seem to say it does. As for the Def Tech Symphony, well the only thing I can say is try it out and see what you think. They have done a really good job with them (and in wired amped mode they sound amazingly good). Faith in bt can change pretty quickly when you hear something that is actually good. Had you never tried out the Stance would you have had ever considered buying a $200 pair of bluetooth headphones? From your earlier post you seemed to think there was something wrong with your ears when you realised that the Stance actually sounded good lol.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #754 of 894
So I just ordered a S1+ since my current portable headphones broke the other day. I heard the S1 or S1+ last year or so and wasn't terribly impressed, sounded kinda flat to me, but I want a BT headset on budget and all the others I looked at were more than 100 USD more in price. Any one have a recommendation for a comparable BT headphone in the same price range (or cheaper) than the S1+ I should consider?

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #755 of 894
So I just ordered a S1+ since my current portable headphones broke the other day. I heard the S1 or S1+ last year or so and wasn't terribly impressed, sounded kinda flat to me, but I want a BT headset on budget and all the others I looked at were more than 100 USD more in price. Any one have a recommendation for a comparable BT headphone in the same price range (or cheaper) than the S1+ I should consider?
you should help people helping you.
What do you listen to? How do you like your headphones? And, how much did you pay for the s1?

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #756 of 894

I would like to see your friend not only give his opinion of the S1+, but the Def Tech Symp 1, and the M2s too. 

I would love to get that feedback..
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #757 of 894

What do you listen to? How do you like your headphones? And, how much did you pay for the s1?

I suppose I should :) I honestly did not think there would be many BT headphones for under 200 USD at the near the level of the S1+ (based off the review I read I didn't find any).

I paid 200 USD + tax for the S1+, did not think to look for any deals.
I listen to a lot of genres depending my mood (or just shuffle) - orchestra, piano, prog/hard/metal rock, electronic (trance, house, occasional dubstep/hardstyle), jazz, even have some blues albums somewhere. Normally I don't mention this since even I don't find it useful lol.

Usually I look stuff that performs best with orchestra/piano but for these an electronic/bass skew might not be bad. They will be mostly used while working or at the gym so no critical listening. Since these will be used in public sound isolation (both ways) is very important.

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #758 of 894

I paid 200 USD + tax for the S1+, did not think to look for any deals. Normally I don't mention this since even I don't find it useful lol.
Usually I look stuff that performs best with orchestra/piano but for these an electronic/bass skew might not be bad. They will be mostly used while working or at the gym so no critical listening. Since these will be used in public sound isolation (both ways) is very important.

It is important to know, because for example now i know the akg k845bt are not for you, they are the death for edm.
The Sennheiser urbanite xl wireless are the death for orchestra.
The ath-ws99bt, my favorite, would go very well with all genres, but they are almost a semi closed design and their isolation is not so good.
Of what I've tried i can recommend the Supertooth Freedom, with a nice bass, warm but also fresh mids, and clean highs, with a nice soundstage. Isolation is passive, good.
Very comfortable.
Then the Plantronics Backbeat Pro, not for long ears (5.5cm inner diameter pads), nice boosted bass, plenty of highs, very nice soundstage, lot of nice functions, and a decent ANC which would be good for the isolation you want.
With some EQ also the Harman Kardon BT are good. Without EQ they miss some life in the upper mid range. They sound rather warm than bright, and have a poor soundstage.
These are the one I've tried.
Maybe the Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 would be good to, but i cannot promise, and you cannot try them easily, they're import, you must find a seller with good return policies...

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #759 of 894
It is important to know, because for example now i know the akg k845bt are not for you, they are the death for edm.
The Sennheiser urbanite xl wireless are the death for orchestra.
The ath-ws99bt, my favorite, would go very well with all genres, but they are almost a semi closed design and their isolation is not so good.
Of what I've tried i can recommend the Supertooth Freedom, with a nice bass, warm but also fresh mids, and clean highs, with a nice soundstage. Isolation is passive, good.
Very comfortable.
Then the Plantronics Backbeat Pro, not for long ears (5.5cm inner diameter pads), nice boosted bass, plenty of highs, very nice soundstage, lot of nice functions, and a decent ANC which would be good for the isolation you want.
With some EQ also the Harman Kardon BT are good. Without EQ they miss some life in the upper mid range. They sound rather warm than bright, and have a poor soundstage.
These are the one I've tried.
Maybe the Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 would be good to, but i cannot promise, and you cannot try them easily, they're import, you must find a seller with good return policies...

Thanks for the recommendations.

For a 115 dollars the Supertooth Freedom is interesting, but return shipping to France will be cost almost as much as the headphones (could not find anywhere else to buy them).
The MDR-1RBTMK2 and ath-ws99bt were my original two choices but I don't want to spend that kind of money on something I'll be bringing to the gym, just the thought of sweating all over a nice pair of headphones gives me the shivers lol.
For now I think I'll just abuse the return policy on the S1+ and decide what to do after spending some time with them.

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #760 of 894

You do not need to quote my entire post to answer to me :) You can also edit the quote or just name me like this @redmaw
For the Supertooth the seller shablol in amazon in this moment, from Israel, is the cheapest and if you click on "return policies" (which you should always do = never take anything for granted) you will read:
"Shablol will pay the return shipping costs to have the item returned to an international location ( Israel ) . 
This will be in the form of reimbursement of return shipping costs incurred by the buyer."
Now, eventually the most expensive in that list of sellers (way too expensive) is from US. If he or anybody of Amazon casually reads this post, I have a disclaimer: "I did not write the following words personally, a hacker entered in my system and wrote them and I just cannot edit the post anymore".
That said, you could buy them from him, try them, and if you like them you return them to him and buy them from the cheapest international guy.
This just because with the price he made he deserves it. :)
End of the part written by the hacker.

Now, coming back to the discussion, what about the Plantronics? what made you immediately exclude them?
Btw, if you have the money for that, the best thing you can do is buy 2 or 3 t same time and compare yourself.
This is not "abusing" of the return policy. That's exactly why there is a return policy on things which you do not find in  a shop to try them.

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #761 of 894

For a 115 dollars the Supertooth Freedom is interesting, but return shipping to France will be cost almost as much as the headphones (could not find anywhere else to buy them).
The MDR-1RBTMK2 and ath-ws99bt were my original two choices but I don't want to spend that kind of money on something I'll be bringing to the gym, just the thought of sweating all over a nice pair of headphones gives me the shivers lol.
For now I think I'll just abuse the return policy on the S1+ and decide what to do after spending some time with them.

I can give you some comments on the MDR 1RBTMK2 and gym use..

IMO, the are excellent BT headphones..However, being a gym nut, they weren't too good in the gym environment for me.. Why? Because of the clamping force, and I guess the size of my head. My head size I would say is normal.. But, the MK2 would slip off anytime my head went to horizontal or vertical. A lot of my exercises my head goes that way..

So, I found an alternative. The MK2s were still my #1 headphones, but I found the Harman Kardon BTs, not as good as the MK2s, but they have good clamping force.. My head can go almost to 6 o clock, and the HKs stay on..So, my MK2 were for everything except the gym..

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #763 of 894
@Giogio The Plantronics were excluded because my ear size. 6.5cm is about the smallest the cup size can be and still be comfortable to me (my ears are about 5.7 cm).

@cehowardNote3 Typically I don't like to mess with stuff that requires EQ, but since they sell direct from amazon I might as well try them.

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #764 of 894
Apr 18, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #765 of 894

@cehowardNote3 Typically I don't like to mess with stuff that requires EQ, but since they sell direct from amazon I might as well try them.

@redmaw I am with you 100% of that. I have yet to us EQ with any of my headphones. To be really truthful, I don't know how to us EQ.
biggrin.gif

So, I just use the headphones as they are. I will use a amp sometimes, but that's it.. So far, everything is cool..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back