hifimediy sabre usb dac with android.
Jan 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

notilloc

New Head-Fier
So I just got my hifimediy sabre dac today thinking that it would work with my new note 2. I know it wasn't one of the supported devices listed here but I just couldn't figure out how it wouldn't work. Is there any way to make it work or am I stuck with a dac that will only work on my laptop? I bought it to be a portable option for me, I'm shocked at how much better it makes my computer sound and I would love this with my note 2. As far as I know all i need to do is plug it into an otg cable hooked up to my phone and it should work. Did I miss something? Help please.

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 35
Quote:
So I just got my hifimediy sabre dac today thinking that it would work with my new note 2. I know it wasn't one of the supported devices listed here but I just couldn't figure out how it wouldn't work. Is there any way to make it work or am I stuck with a dac that will only work on my laptop? I bought it to be a portable option for me, I'm shocked at how much better it makes my computer sound and I would love this with my note 2. As far as I know all i need to do is plug it into an otg cable hooked up to my phone and it should work. Did I miss something? Help please.

Hey,

This may solve the problem: http://www.amazon.com/JKase-Micro-Adapter-Samsung-phones/dp/B008FU34C8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1358812458&sr=8-12&keywords=camera+connection+kit+samsung

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 35
What cable are you using at the moment? It HAS to be a USB OTG cable, so if you are using a regular USB-->micro USB cable that is the problem right there. If you're not sure try some USB keyboards/mice/USB memory sticks and see whether they work. If nothing works then you probably don't have an OTG cable.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:
What cable are you using at the moment? It HAS to be a USB OTG cable, so if you are using a regular USB-->micro USB cable that is the problem right there. If you're not sure try some USB keyboards/mice/USB memory sticks and see whether they work. If nothing works then you probably don't have an OTG cable.

I have an otg cable i got from amazon. I used it to charge my blutooth speaker from my phone the other day so I'm pretty sure its good. I will try it with other things to make sure its still working. It would be really nice if it worked with my hifimediy sabre dac.

This is the one I have
http://www.amazon.com/T-Flash-Adapter-Samsung-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FUNYSA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358827154&sr=1-2&keywords=otg+cable

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 35
I think your problem is you need this cable

In your current configuration, it is unclear how, if at all, the USB DAC is getting power.  The cable at the link provides power.  

I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 and have a Hifmediy sabre usb dac on the way (via Swiss Post from Singapore).  I have the cable at the link.  We'll see if it works.  I will let you know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-with-Power-for-Samsung-Galaxy-s2-i9100-s3-i9300-Xoom-/251216552611?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a7dac62a3

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 35
Ok, the Sabre arrived today (finally, ridiculous shipping wait).  

Anyway, the Galaxy 3 does not want to play nice with it.  

After some troubleshooting, I discovered an app called USB Audio Recorder Pro.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro&hl=en

Basically, this app will recognize the Sabre and WILL play audio from the Galaxy 3 through the USB DAC.  However, this is a really terrible setup in that the app is wonky and will not even play MP3 files. I had to load a WAV file to get it working.    The app is designed for USB audio recording applications, not so much basic music playback.  

At this point, I think all I need is a simple software solution that will allow me to send all audio from the Galaxy to the USB DAC.  Like the System Preferences; Sound ; Output selection you can make on a laptop in Mac OS.  It doesn't seem like there is a Global sound output setting for Android 4.1 (which is what I'm running).  

I guess the silver lining is that there is nothing inherently wrong with the hardware configuration--it's a software problem.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 35
Hi,

I'm going to try this dac, and use it on my laptop + galaxy note 2

I see that it is not really working on, did you find a solution ? And if i put a Cmoy between them, the problem will be solved or it's just useless ?

Thanks

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:
Hi,

I'm going to try this dac, and use it on my laptop + galaxy note 2

I see that it is not really working on, did you find a solution ? And if i put a Cmoy between them, the problem will be solved or it's just useless ?

Thanks

It is kind of random..so I do not recommend Sabre DAC until the problem is fully solved...

It worked for a while, and stopped working...

May 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 35
got it working with my HTC One , with OTG cable no setup need its phone to otg to sabre -> interconnect c&c xo2 amp , sounds great on my srh-1840s!! 

May 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #13 of 35
  got it working with my HTC One , with OTG cable no setup need its phone to otg to sabre -> interconnect c&c xo2 amp , sounds great on my srh-1840s!! 

So I am currently buying the sabre u2 dac and I wanted to see if it would work with the otg cable I have. I know they have the mini android version but it also only samples at 16bit and I wanted something I could use both with my phone and girls laptop. You are saying you had no problems with the HTC one and the normal size Sabre working with it via otg micro cable? because I have a samsung s3

May 19, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #14 of 35
You will need http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=124 to use with your Android phone.  I just got it, plugged it into my Note 2, and worked right away.

You have to realize that USB OTG will not transfer audio bypassing your default DAC inside of the phone.  That's why you will have a problem using a regular USB DAC and USB OTG cable.  That new Sabre Android DAC does a perfect plug'n'play job without a need of any apps.  I will do a quick write up today or tomorrow and will post it in the forum.

Just keep in mind, it will NOT make your phone sound that much beter in comparison to whatever DAC they use inside of the phone.  At least a/b different headphones and comparing to using E18 and A200p with my Note 2 and Sabre Android DAC connected to Note 2 and headphones directly from Note 2 - I didn't see any night'n'day improvement.  BUT, the huge advantage of Sabre Android DAC is if you want to connect portable AMP to your phone, like E12, then you use it as a bridge to bypass phone internal DAC and push digital raw audio to this external dac to connect to your AMP.

May 20, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back