Hifiman TWS600 - First Impression
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #211 of 240
I think they tried to base it on the RE600. I’m still floored that their engineers listened to it and decided it was good for release though. The overall tonality is too coloured to not see it as what it is - an IEM which desperately needs EQ to sound good.

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #212 of 240
I think they tried to base it on the RE600. I’m still floored that their engineers listened to it and decided it was good for release though. The overall tonality is too coloured to not see it as what it is - an IEM which desperately needs EQ to sound good.
If you have them try cut foams like I did , drop the mids from 1k to 4k about 5db and add some dsp bass . Don't use an eq on the bass because they simply don't like it . I did that and they're totally acceptable now . They have the same driver as the re600 which I also have . The problem is in the electronics and their limitations . The re600's version 2's sound great with decent amplification .

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #214 of 240
So the only logical conclusion is that Hifiman released this without listening to or measuring the final result. If that is the case the optics are not good and they would be better off claiming their listening panel went temporarily deaf .... perhaps from listening to the prototypes for extended periods of time.

As stated before I can get this to the point where it sounds acceptable using certain tips with well recorded material and at a listening level that is not too high. But even so it is clear that something is not right. One should not have to take extreme measures including EQ to get a reasonably balanced sound with regular recordings.

SHAME, Shame, shame ...

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #216 of 240
They actually released it because they know people will still buy it either way. There's quite a few positive reviews on these, and I don't even know what's going on anymore.

Yep - those reviewers also tend to rate anything they get for free positively. Manufacturers don't improve unless they get fair critique.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #217 of 240
There are not many redeeming qualities regarding the sound of the TWS600. I do not feel that the buyer should have to make this many tweaks and concessions to enjoy a product. Out of the box it should sound as the company intended. If the company intended this to sound as it does, then I don't understand the thought process. Tweaking to make it more personalized to your tastes is an entirely different thing. Nice battery life though....

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #218 of 240
There are not many redeeming qualities regarding the sound of the TWS600. I do not feel that the buyer should have to make this many tweaks and concessions to enjoy a product. Out of the box it should sound as the company intended. If the company intended this to sound as it does, then I don't understand the thought process. Tweaking to make it more personalized to your tastes is an entirely different thing. Nice battery life though....
Either way, it's bad. If they intended to sound like this, I wouldn't be looking forward to their future tuning if it's like this, or if it was out of their control, means they lack skills in controlling their tuning.

I don't believe the tuning result is intentional though. Nobody in their right of mind would target such a response. Tune by ear is definitely possible though.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #220 of 240
Right now they are priced at 80 USD, judging them for that price, I made a review. I think they are a pretty good deal at this price, good battery life, and fair comfort. Some downsides exist right now, and I also suggested using some EQ to enjoy them.

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2020/05/light-spring-audio-hifiman-tws-600.html

HIFIMAN-TWS-600-IEMs-Earphones-True-Wireless-Battery-Life-40-Hours-Bluetooth-5-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-14.jpg

May 13, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #221 of 240
Right now they are priced at 80 USD, judging them for that price, I made a review. I think they are a pretty good deal at this price, good battery life, and fair comfort. Some downsides exist right now, and I also suggested using some EQ to enjoy them.

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2020/05/light-spring-audio-hifiman-tws-600.html
funny how differently we hear them:
yours:
Where most TWS IEMs of this moment go for either warm signatures, that are smooth and where the bass bleeds a bit in the midrange, or V-Shaped signatures that create a nice balance and engagement, HIFIMAN decided to focus on those fans who really love some good clean mids, so the TWS600 is a neutral - mid centric IEM, with a good clarity, detail, and a sparkly treble, with excellent extension, but thanks to a wet character, doesn't cause any fatigue.
Crinnacles:
What is this.
Why does this exist.
Who signed off on this.
How does this have positive reviews?

Look, I get it. Hifiman’s a popular audiophile company and it’s hard to believe that they would intentionally churn out garbage thinking it would sell regardless. I had the same thought going into the TWS600: man these suck, maybe somethings broken with them?
… welp, both channels match. Guess this is how it’s really supposed to be.

The TWS600 is a tonal monstrosity that probably singlehandedly tanked my last remaining respects for Hifiman. It sounds like a 1950s telephone with just as much resolving ability, and doesn’t even come with the courtesy of a budget pricetag. No, you’re going to get the full-fat Fang Bian experience here, just without the final pricing justification.

Why are they so expensive? Because they sound so good.
I wish, Mr. Fang. I wish.
love some of HifiMans stuff - this isn’t one of them. I’m with Crinn on this one

May 13, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #222 of 240
funny how differently we hear them:
yours:
Where most TWS IEMs of this moment go for either warm signatures, that are smooth and where the bass bleeds a bit in the midrange, or V-Shaped signatures that create a nice balance and engagement, HIFIMAN decided to focus on those fans who really love some good clean mids, so the TWS600 is a neutral - mid centric IEM, with a good clarity, detail, and a sparkly treble, with excellent extension, but thanks to a wet character, doesn't cause any fatigue.
Crinnacles:
What is this.
Why does this exist.
Who signed off on this.
How does this have positive reviews?

Look, I get it. Hifiman’s a popular audiophile company and it’s hard to believe that they would intentionally churn out garbage thinking it would sell regardless. I had the same thought going into the TWS600: man these suck, maybe somethings broken with them?
… welp, both channels match. Guess this is how it’s really supposed to be.

The TWS600 is a tonal monstrosity that probably singlehandedly tanked my last remaining respects for Hifiman. It sounds like a 1950s telephone with just as much resolving ability, and doesn’t even come with the courtesy of a budget pricetag. No, you’re going to get the full-fat Fang Bian experience here, just without the final pricing justification.

Why are they so expensive? Because they sound so good.
I wish, Mr. Fang. I wish.
love some of HifiMans stuff - this isn’t one of them. I’m with Crinn on this one

Good to see you on the forums! I wasn't quite as forgiving as George in my review either but not as harsh as Crin either. For the record, these are certainly not neutral or balanced, sparkly, engaging or well-extended to me, even by TWS standard, my apologies George I do not know your point of reference for these comments.

Despite this, I always find it interesting to read user impressions online and was shocked that they had a very positive reception on Amazon, even at their original RRP. I have no doubt that Crinacle's review was his honest thoughts, but as fun as the read was (and likely informative to the majority), I still think it's important to factor in personal preferences above all else.

That doesn't excuse shortcomings or plain weirdness, but a truly informative review should at least acknowledge that most products have some sort of appeal even to a very niche audience. As the TWS600 is so unique, it may be one of the only options for someone looking for that style of sound with the TWS form factor. Would you agree with that?

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #223 of 240
If you take the default tuning - they are pretty much garbage. And no tips is going to ameliorate that close to 20dB peak at just below 2kHz. Its not my measurements either - Crinns show the same thing (two different measurement devices, almost same result). Every other measurement I've seen is similar.

All I'm saying is review based on default sound, because most people won't EQ. Mention EQ as a plausible fix, but rank and review with what you're presented.

Yes - there will be different tastes, and I'm sure there are people who follow George who have similar tastes and they might think these are good value. I don't. Most opinions in this thread talk about a seriously mis-tuned IEM which needs corrections (be it tips, EQ, or whatever magic works). But why cosy up to a manufacturer mainly mentioning the good things if its a lemon? Let them know its a lemon. Its the only way you don't get more lemons ...... :wink:

I appreciate there are different preferences ..... but seriously. Go listen to a reference pair of IEMs at a reasonable listening volume. Then pop these in without EQ. Now give an honest opinion :wink:

May 13, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #224 of 240
Put it this way Ryan - does this sound like the pair you have:
At the end of the day, this is a great IEM, with a really good price. Great comfort, exceptionally stable connection, amazing battery life, and great neutral sound, with good resolution, instrument separation, and layering, TWS 600 is what I could call a great overall deal in every way, if you wanted a more audiophile-sounding TWS IEM.

If this is what audiophile sound is - then I'm on the wrong forum

May 13, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #225 of 240
Honestly, I couldn't review them. They lack in almost everything IMO. The comfort is good, battery life good, connection good. These are the positives and without going on and on about nothing, which is what my review would have been, I chose not to review them. Mother's teach you when you are young, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back