HiFiMan Susvara
May 25, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #25,891 of 26,687
A quality, used speaker amp by far would be my first choice. Just be careful to watch the volume knob and always start from 0 volume. I'd check the "speaker amps for headphones thread in this sub-forum" for good suggestions.
Yup, best I ever heard my Susvara was on a Sansui Alpha 907MR integrated speaker amp.
Only costs about $1k to import from Japan.

May 25, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #25,892 of 26,687
The only way a new Hifiman flagship makes sense is one of two things:

1 - All the sound quality of Susvara, but more sensitive (i.e. requiring less amp power to drive it to max performance)
2 - Susvara / HE-6 hybrid, with all the clarity and resolution of Susvara plus the legendary slam of the original HE-6

I can't reconcile how anything else at all makes any sense.

May 25, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #25,893 of 26,687

1 - All the sound quality of Susvara, but more sensitive (i.e. requiring less amp power to drive it to max performance)
2 - Susvara / HE-6 hybrid, with all the clarity and resolution of Susvara plus the legendary slam of the original HE-6

Susvara is pretty flawed honestly, have you seen all the driver resonance it has? FR curve is all jaggy and sawtoothed.

It's just that most of us happen to think it sounds nice in spite of this or maybe because it. There's absolutely things that could be fixed with it though.

May 25, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #25,894 of 26,687

God Tier amps already provides that legendary HE-6 slam with significantly better texture and definition of the Susvara

May 25, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #25,895 of 26,687
Susvara is pretty flawed honestly, have you seen all the driver resonance it has? FR curve is all jaggy and sawtoothed.

It's just that most of us happen to think it sounds nice in spite of this or maybe because it. There's absolutely things that could be fixed with it though.

DCA Stealth looks way better in graphs but sound dead next to Susvara though

May 25, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #25,896 of 26,687
Like I said, people like the sound of Susvara in spite of the messed up FR curve.
I'm simply saying there's room to improve. It has been 7 years after all...

While we're discussing DCA Stealth vs Susvara though, I actually just AB tested Susvara vs DCA Expanse last night.
And in an opinion almost everyone here would disagree with, the Expanse was livelier and had more impact/slam. I really think most people haven't heard Expanse/Stealth on systems they have synergy with whereas Susvara has the benefit of people having reviewed thousands of combos over the years and finding what it's best on.

I mean how many Expanse reviewers tested it with speaker amps? Probably less than 10%. Yet for Susvara it's assumed people are running it on speaker amps or extra high power headphone amps.

I was using a Sansui AU-X11 and it brought Expanse above Susvara imo. Expanse improved a lot on this amp while Susvara sounded mostly like what it sounds like on my Holo Bliss, just with a bit more impact.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #25,897 of 26,687

when I was at canjam the rep told me that the new susvara would be easier to drive but not better sound wise than the prevailing version..who knows but that is what I was told

May 25, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #25,898 of 26,687
when I was at canjam the rep told me that the new susvara would be easier to drive but not better sound wise than the prevailing version..who knows but that is what I was told
I personally think it would be crazy for them to release a new flagship at a higher price than Susvara that doesn't perform better. Hifiman has done the impossible and made what most reasonable audiophiles (preference aside) agree is the best headphone in the world, why would they go and screw that up?

May 26, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #25,899 of 26,687
I do not know that this new HP will be more expensive if what the rep told me is true but who knows?

May 26, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #25,900 of 26,687

its going to be easier to drive than susvara.

May 26, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #25,901 of 26,687
Not to me! Give the Stealth a Susvara-chain and it's a toe-tapper too in my experience. Gets 80% of my listening time :)

May 26, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #25,904 of 26,687

It is not flawed if you ever seen any measurement of speakers in a not perfectly treated room, those jaggies exist in mids just like the Susvara.
I consider it's a sound effect to simulate speakers in an environment we more familiar (opposite of anechoic chamber).
Personally I would like to see hifiman release a more powerful and accessible AMP for the Susvara, that's poeple talk all day more than the Susvara itself.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #25,905 of 26,687
Susvara stays in line and new model is cheaper then Immanis I was told.
That probably depends on package I guess.

Immanis incl VAT starts at 7899€ (6638€ excl. VAT)
Susvara retails currently at 6699€ incl VAT (5630€ excl VAT)

That would Set the frame at ~5600€ - 6600€

The Leaks spoke of 8000€ probably excl VAT. Or ~9500€ incl VAT

Probably someone saw 9500€ < 9999€ (full Immanis incl upgrade cable and headphone stand) and said it's cheaper than Immanis 🤷‍♂️

Personally I hope for as cheap as possible. The 4k Trend was bad already, we don't need an 8k Trend now

If the Statement you heard is true, it would be amazing, as it limits the official price to 6600, whereas Susvara was 6000 at release.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back