HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 10, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #25,291 of 25,646
Get the v7 Vivids man- they transform Aryas into something another level up. Bass def and impact, the tendency to slight shoutiness in the upper mids is gone, imaging much more precise, depth improves. Dynamics still good at low listening volume I turned off the EQ I had going - Aryas don’t need it with the V7s in. I’m telling you (and every 3XGTer) this is a must-do upgrade. More than the SP02 power modules even. Susvaras: TONIGHT’S THE NIGHT. Full review to follow.
Im waiting for the susvara + v7 review. Where did you place the new opamps?

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #25,292 of 25,646
Something is wrong with your setup. Bluesound + LHY PSU will mob the floor with iMac. However if Auralic even can not better it, I am afraid to recommend anything.
Maybe you should get an iMac 5k and compare for yourself before making statements about how it compares to mac mini and streaming devices. Ymmv and imho there is no point in adding something to the chain if i can’t tell any difference.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #25,293 of 25,646
If the IEM uses balanced armatures, you're going to get a nasty timbre that may or may not drive you mad.

I cannot in good consciousness recommend an IEM over full sized headphones in any circumstance other than the exact reverse circumstance you described.

If you're really tempted to go IEM, look for flagships from a year or two ago, as the resale on most IEMs like that bottoms out right quick.
I am sorry, but you should listen and compare again. Yes, the Sus is still superior, but less than the best HP’s will lose to the likes of the Traillii and a few others. And the IEM does not need expensive kit to sound excellent.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #25,294 of 25,646
Which is better? A TOTL IEM or TOTL Headphone like Susvara for home use in a quiet environment?
Mostly I prefer people who don't cross-post content only vaguely relevant to the threads they post in. :wink: Just a suggestion.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #25,295 of 25,646
Any recommendation of speakers that are Susvara like? Similar tonality, FR spectrum. Detailed highs, but overall smooth and seductive. Would like neutral or slightly forward midrange. I need to make a point and listen to different speakers at a HIFI shop. I was thinking of a used 805 D3 ... but wondering what you think? Someone also told me to check out the Buchardt S400 mkII.

I will be using Dave + Envy + AHB2.

*This will be in my small office. 120 sq ft. 12 ft ceilings.

Edit: I will be pairing it with the kef kc62 sub. Probably looking to spend less than $10k. Used market is good as well.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #25,296 of 25,646
Any recommendation of speakers that are Susvara like? I need to make a point and listen to different speakers at a HIFI shop. I was thinking of a used 805 D3 ... but wondering what you think? Someone also told me to check out the Buchardt S400 mkII.

I will be using Dave + Envy + AHB2.

*This will be in my small office. 120 sq ft. 12 ft ceilings.
Magnepan? I'm not sure any speaker is "like" Susvara. But if you mean intensely resolving, balanced, and musical, maybe Focal Diablo Utopia? 2-channel is a whole different ball game, you can get pretty much anything you want if your pockets are deep enough.

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #25,297 of 25,646
Which is better? A TOTL IEM or TOTL Headphone like Susvara for home use in a quiet environment?
you asked the same question in the caldera thread..do you expect a different answer here?

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #25,299 of 25,646
kind of silly...the question of IEM vs full sized would apply to both susvara and caldera

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #25,301 of 25,646
Ok so I have done as I promised and conducted A/B comparison for Burson 3xGT with V6 vs V7 Vivid op amps. I replaced all 6 op amps - volume and gain stage. Note that given the nature of the comparison and that I only have 1 3XGT, I made notes while listening rather than rapid back to back A/B. If you want that you’ll need to recruit someone with 2 units and a switch box. I used no EQ.

Chain is Roon (dedicated MacBook server- I recognize this is suboptimal but as it’s what I’ve been using with the V6s I kept it the same for V7s) ->Sonore Optical Rendu-> Yggdrasil OG-> 3XGt 2023 with SpO2 power modules. Tracks are Fruhlingsgefuhle by Melokind, Magnetar by Mark Lettieri, Beldiya by Triplego, Drover by Bill Callahan, Twice by Ludovici Einaudi (Reimagined by Mercan Dede). Susvaras are with OG Stock pads and cables (XLR)

On V6 I hear both good quality (texture) and quantity in the bass, with good attack and just right decay. Bass does not bleed into mids. Mids are quite forward though lower mids a bit less than upper. Treble is good, snappy, not sibliant and well extended. Soundstage was outside the head and instrument separation still good but not pinpoint. Head stage is perceptible about 2-3’ outside the head wider than deep- sometimes there is an echo that extends further into the distance. Detail retrieval is good - on the Melokind track I can hear some details high up in the treble register. Dynamic swings are good but not impressive- little sense of ‘blackground’

With V7 installed, FR is quite similar, but timbre is better- more realistic. Stage size and image precision and separation are all bigger/ better. Stage depth improves with images more widely separated in it. Images are more pinpoint and clearly defined with respect to each other. bass is impactful well textured, but the decay structure is even more believable. There is more ‘blackground’. Dynamic swings are bigger, especially noticeable above 70 dB.

I have to say, HD6XX and Arya were MORE elevated than Sus in all these regards. On HD6XX with V7, dynamic drivers LIT UP the bass - I think the V7s maybe are particularly good for DD headphones, I could feel the drivers moving. On Arya I was also hearing a lot more subtle details high in the treble register and imaging improved a LOT- really across the FR but most noticeably up there.

I did not notice these differences as much with Sus- they are still there but Sus is already so good- it more narrowed the difference between them and the lower tier HPs

Conclusion: The V7s are a worthy upgrade for the 3XGT. They elevate mid-fi HPs VERY MUCH in terms of dynamics and especially staging. For Susvara the improvements are there but more subtle. You can only polish a diamond so much- at least with this tool. A more powerful one may be needed. V6s are already doing a very good job with it.

At the end of the trials I am left still feeling ‘there is more’ for the Susvaras- especially in terms of stage improvements- yet I wonder if I will not have to invest MUCH more to squeeze that out.

Question (tube-amp lovers pls hold back here, I know what you’d do with it 😉) : where would you go next with the 3XGT and Susvaras?
A) use 3XGT as a pre-amp out into a solid state speaker amp (with the risks and benefits that entails) and attach Sus to the speaker posts via spades or an adapter box vs
B) use the 3XGT “headphone + sub out” feature to add a sub- other Sus users have reported positive experiences ie @Pashmeister with the KC62
C) Or???

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #25,302 of 25,646
Zhal HM1 if you want some of the blackest background you'll hear out of the Susvara. Very impressive pinpoint imaging based on my short demo with it especially in Class A feedback mode

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #25,303 of 25,646
A good deep bass test for Susvara :)

1712806712210.png

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #25,304 of 25,646
Zhal HM1 if you want some of the blackest background you'll hear out of the Susvara. Very impressive pinpoint imaging based on my short demo with it especially in Class A feedback mode
You didn't feel class A was less grippy?

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #25,305 of 25,646
Servo mode is alot better for sus with hm1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back