HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 2, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #25,096 of 25,597
Please understand I'm trying to do the forum a favor..not bitch. No complaints about any product.

But if AHB2 or any power amp using speakers taps is going to blow up Sus, then folks shud know.

I guess from the other direction..any problems with Envy or Mass Kobo blowing up Sus?
Helpful. I'm not fearmongering. You are just being incompetent.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #25,098 of 25,597
I mean this in the most respectful way possible: if you guys want to fight, can you please move to a private message?
Productive & helpful posts are buried for everyone with all the unnecessary back-and-forth.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #25,099 of 25,597
I mean this in the most respectful way possible: if you guys want to fight, can you please move to a private message?
Productive & helpful posts are buried for everyone with all the unnecessary back-and-forth.
You are absolutely correct.

My posts re tube amps as pre-amps in front of AHB2 Benchmark, which is a setup discussed dozens of time in this forum, with a response from the manufacturer, seems productive to me. Extremely productive.

Please don't lump me in as a troublemaker because some guy chooses to personally attack me.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #25,100 of 25,597
As per my remark about tribal knowledge being lost when the HE-6SEv2 becoming perpetually 70% off, at one point it was common knowledge that hooking headphones up to a speaker amp was a tricky, if not dangerous endeavor. There was even an order of events where you power off things in one order and power them on in reverse order, with some people going as far as disconnecting and reconnecting headphone cables.

I am under the impression the ancient HE convertor box was designed to "take the hit" in case the power amp starts acting up, but the resistors that were in it were apparently detrimental to performance.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #25,101 of 25,597
As per my remark about tribal knowledge being lost when the HE-6SEv2 becoming perpetually 70% off, at one point it was common knowledge that hooking headphones up to a speaker amp was a tricky, if not dangerous endeavor. There was even an order of events where you power off things in one order and power them on in reverse order, with some people going as far as disconnecting and reconnecting headphone cables.

I am under the impression the ancient HE convertor box was designed to "take the hit" in case the power amp starts acting up, but the resistors that were in it were apparently detrimental to performance.
Thanks for that. And you are correct..history seems to disappear over time. Guess I am learning an old lesson.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #25,102 of 25,597
How much Hifiman charges for Susvara driver repair if outside of warranty nowdays?

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #25,103 of 25,597
FWIW.

Benchmark responded re my problem. They said that a tube pre-amp in front of AHB2 for HPs is NOT recommended.

Fair warning to all.

Discussion is how we all move the ball forward in terms of our nice hobby.

Thanks for that. And you are correct..history seems to disappear over time. Guess I am learning an old lesson.
Was there any context to "a tube preamp is not recommended"?

I mean, on it's face, that's an unacceptable concept, and should be the very first line on their product page. But they should be able to at least explain why it is not recommended.

Turning off and on components in a preamp/power amp chain results in all sorts of "pumps" and "pops" that big ol' loudspeakers can handle. These impossibly thin membranes on drivers with impedances 7.5x - 15x the impedance the power amp is expecting to see might not react so well.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #25,104 of 25,597
Was there any context to "a tube preamp is not recommended"?

I mean, on it's face, that's an unacceptable concept, and should be the very first line on their product page. But they should be able to at least explain why it is not recommended.

Turning off and on components in a preamp/power amp chain results in all sorts of "pumps" and "pops" that big ol' loudspeakers can handle. These impossibly thin membranes on drivers with impedances 7.5x - 15x the impedance the power amp is expecting to see might not react so well.
Thanks.

I've told their techs to check out this thread. I'll shoot your message to them right now.

But, I think pumps and pops are not the issue with Benchmark - it has not been my issue. But, they should know what people are saying. They seem very engaged with my comments.

I'm a lawyer..and you are right. There should be some warning about various use scenarios. They have a link on their webpage to using AHB2 with Susvara. Disclaimers are almost always a good idea!

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #25,105 of 25,597
Been using SET amps for all my HP and none have ever damaged any of my HP. I'm more worried about open loop on the amp killing the transformers itself than the HP
My friend. Can you explain why SET amps might be better/safer for HPs? Hopefully short, non-jargony response for non-expert types like me. :)

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #25,107 of 25,597
^ no offense intended but perhaps you could take this discussion offline
Will do.

No more posts from me. I certainly do not intend to be a pest. I'll muddle along.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #25,108 of 25,597
Susvara arrives tomorrow. Jot arrives Thursday. Super excited! 🎉
  1. Will listen from SE TT2
  2. Will give it a listen (dangerously and carefully) from the rear outputs of TT2
    1. Any advice here (in addition to not using DAC mode lol) will be helpful here
  3. Then will try it with TT2 → Jot → Sus
And report back on what I hear.
I am eyeing a nice Burson 3XP on Head-Fi classifieds in case all three steps above are underwhelming. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #25,110 of 25,597
I think you won't be underwhelmed. In fact, you'll enjoy it immensely right away! Susvara is still very forgiving that it won't sound broken like Utopia or Clear OGs on a wrong amp. If you're used to crazy dynamics, that's when you might have a hunch that there's a lot of hidden potential that's waiting to be unlocked for Susvara

Users who are viewing this thread

Back