HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 31, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #25,006 of 25,604
It depends on people’s financial realities. I scoff at people telling me that even making 6 figure incomes you will live paycheck to paycheck. Now that I am a working adult. They were right. As you make money there is always someone or something that requires all your money. I just rebuilt my garage for 100K and my sister is asking if I can buy her a house, preferably over 750K USD, and an electric car too. :sweat: 🫠

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #25,007 of 25,604
It depends on people’s financial realities. I scoff at people telling me that even making 6 figure incomes you will live paycheck to paycheck. Now that I am a working adult. They were right. As you make money there is always someone or something that requires all your money. I just rebuilt my garage for 100K and my sister is asking if I can buy her a house, preferably over 750K USD, and an electric car too. :sweat: 🫠
There's this rapper that said something like this. He's like "I used to want to make a million, but then I realized a million is not that much." I'm nowhere near that, but I get the sentiment. When you are younger you think $X amount of money is what you need. Then you make $X amount of money and you realize it's not that much. Even if you are making millions, it's still not billions. Then if you are making billions, there's still islands to buy.

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #25,008 of 25,604
Probably meant 20k chain including DAC, steamer, amp. The best amps for Susvara including Zahl, riviera aic-10 (previous pricing), WA33 EE, Envy with upgraded tubes, MK 465, Headtrip II level II, all cost less than 20k usd
“Best amps for Susvara”? There comes a point where it’s just listing “best amps” regardless of the headphone being discussed. For that matter we could say those are the best amps for Utopia or 1266 or anything else. It ceases to have any meaning.

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #25,009 of 25,604
“Best amps for Susvara”? There comes a point where it’s just listing “best amps” regardless of the headphone being discussed. For that matter we could say those are the best amps for Utopia or 1266 or anything else. It ceases to have any meaning.

It does have meaning as alot of us have heard and owned those amps and confirm the synergy and power for sus. We are talking best of the best in headfi for susvara, pinnacle amps. I see nothing wrong with his list.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #25,010 of 25,604
Hi everybody,
Got my Susvara on second market yesterday. It has several dark marks on outer side of both diaphragms (or membranes?), but sounds beautiful. The sound made my purchase decision finally. Later I tried more versatile exploration of diaphragms and made these photos against the sun. I don’t think diaphragms have such patchy look being produced, so I ask those who knows diaphragm life/work/wearing processes to clarify that look for me. How bad is this?
Thank you all very much!
IMG20240331093734.jpeg

IMG20240331093657.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG20240331093647.jpeg
    IMG20240331093647.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #25,011 of 25,604
Hi everybody,
Got my Susvara on second market yesterday. It has several dark marks on outer side of both diaphragms (or membranes?), but sounds beautiful. The sound made my purchase decision finally. Later I tried more versatile exploration of diaphragms and made these photos against the sun. I don’t think diaphragms have such patchy look being produced, so I ask those who knows diaphragm life/work/wearing processes to clarify that look for me. How bad is this?
Thank you all very much!

Looks exactly like mine. I got mine direct from HiFiman. The other layer doesn’t matter which is why you see that black glue keeping it in place.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #25,012 of 25,604
Mar 31, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #25,013 of 25,604
Probably meant 20k chain including DAC, steamer, amp. The best amps for Susvara including Zahl, riviera aic-10 (previous pricing), WA33 EE, Envy with upgraded tubes, MK 465, Headtrip II level II, all cost less than 20k usd
If you buy the EF1000 with the Susvara together as a combo from Hifiman you can save quite a bit of money off the RRPs !

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #25,014 of 25,604
The Susvara, Abyss 1266 TC and Focal Utopia all have one thing in common....they are TOTL headphones from their respective Manufacturers !

As I have said a few times now in previous posts over the last couple of years is that people are not realizing what a TOTL hifi component is and means regarding how it should perform as the Manufacturers have intended it to !

Buying a Susvara is like buying a TOTL speaker. People in the speaker hifi system world who have bought a TOTL speaker do not normally pair it with poor or mediocre technology. They normally pair them with TOTL electronics !

Also the higher up the TOTL hifi equipment you go, the more important is synergy with all of the system components and the source itself (i.e. the actual production of the music in the studio and the way it is recorded and mixed or they way it is recorded during a live concert and thereafter mixed).

If people treat TOTL headphones in the head-fi world like people do with TOTL speakers in the speaker system world, people would be a lot happier with their TOTL headphone purchase and knowing that to get the best from them they need comparable hifi components with great to perfect synergy.

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #25,015 of 25,604
It does have meaning as alot of us have heard and owned those amps and confirm the synergy and power for sus. We are talking best of the best in headfi for susvara, pinnacle amps. I see nothing wrong with his list.

Totally agree with this. The idea of one great amp for all headphones is very appealing and - for most people - will work well. That was certainly my original notion but, unfortunately, if you are seeking to absolutely optimise the performance of whichever headphones you own, you find that different phones can work best with different amps. It is frustrating, but only if you are determined to extract the absolute maximum from each set. Most can sit back and relax with a less demanding mindset.

I came across a review some time back which I thought was an excellent explanation as to the strengths of Susvara and why I like mine so much. It also compares to 1266 and the comments identify why so many consider the two to be a ideal complimentary pairing.

https://www.audiokeyreviews.com/the...mbre,,electrostatics cannot match the Susvara.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #25,016 of 25,604
I agree that we want to maximise the value of the headphone by using the absolute best electronics we can. No argument from me there.
I was just saying that if we list all the great amps as being “best for Susvara” then it’s just a list of really great amps. It doesn’t go into detail about particular synergy or strengths as a system with Susvara.
I can see some people having very strong preferences for one or two of these amps over another one or two, hence the list not really helping - how long can a shortlist be?

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #25,017 of 25,604
Totally agree with this. The idea of one great amp for all headphones is very appealing and - for most people - will work well. That was certainly my original notion but, unfortunately, if you are seeking to absolutely optimise the performance of whichever headphones you own, you find that different phones can work best with different amps. It is frustrating, but only if you are determined to extract the absolute maximum from each set. Most can sit back and relax with a less demanding mindset.

I came across a review some time back which I thought was an excellent explanation as to the strengths of Susvara and why I like mine so much. It also compares to 1266 and the comments identify why so many consider the two to be a ideal complimentary pairing.

https://www.audiokeyreviews.com/the-reviews/hifiman-susvara-review#:~:text=However, for tone, timbre,,electrostatics cannot match the Susvara.
Agreed. 100%.

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #25,018 of 25,604
There’s nothing wrong with the list at all. They’re wonderful amps. I wasn’t saying there’s a problem with the list. I’m saying the bigger the list gets, the more it’s applicable to all TOTL headphones.

That list could be an answer to the question, “I’ve got a TOTL headphone, and I’d like some advice about what TOTL amplifiers are out there I should try”. It’s not a particularly Susvara-exclusive list.

The Utopia doesn’t need the kind of power on tap that many of those amplifiers provide, but it will certainly benefit from the sophistication, low noise, wide frequency response, minimised cross-talk, phase accuracy and soundstaging some of those amplifiers can do better than a lower class of amplifier. It’s not all about power, right?

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #25,019 of 25,604
well, it is under the 20k that several people here seem to think is what is needed to spend to find a good amp for the susvara
£20K is a ridiculous sum of money.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #25,020 of 25,604
The Susvara, Abyss 1266 TC and Focal Utopia all have one thing in common....they are TOTL headphones from their respective Manufacturers !

As I have said a few times now in previous posts over the last couple of years is that people are not realizing what a TOTL hifi component is and means regarding how it should perform as the Manufacturers have intended it to !

Buying a Susvara is like buying a TOTL speaker. People in the speaker hifi system world who have bought a TOTL speaker do not normally pair it with poor or mediocre technology. They normally pair them with TOTL electronics !

Also the higher up the TOTL hifi equipment you go, the more important is synergy with all of the system components and the source itself (i.e. the actual production of the music in the studio and the way it is recorded and mixed or they way it is recorded during a live concert and thereafter mixed).

If people treat TOTL headphones in the head-fi world like people do with TOTL speakers in the speaker system world, people would be a lot happier with their TOTL headphone purchase and knowing that to get the best from them they need comparable hifi components with great to perfect synergy.
i don't buy into this but i do enjoy my utopia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back