HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 22, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #24,676 of 25,667
They surely were not worth 5k to me thats for sure...I defend those who say cables make a difference from those who claim there is no difference BUT I will not defend spending 5k on a cable...to me it is ludicrous unless you have so much money it simply isnt a concern
The issue for me was more I did not hear an advantage over the stock cable and using it was like wearing a harness it was so heavy and ugly.

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #24,677 of 25,667
On IEM threads, I don't see complaints with a guy splurging $5K on Effect Audio Centurion or Nightjar Acoustics Sovereign Symphony IEM cable or $6-7K on a PW Audio Orpheus IEM cables
I believe it’s due to very low sensitivity of IEMs where cables actually do have much more impact on the sound signature. Such changes are not always for the best, but I think there is much more acceptance for the cable pricing in IEM community, the changes are not subtle / neglectable as with over ears. A PW cable can simply completely overhaul the tuning of your IEM.
Ribbon driver over ears react to cables similar to IEMs. For me the rather subtle changes with planar driver and almost none existent difference with dynamic driver headphones can hardly justify the price of 1k cables, yet alone 5k. I rather get some new tubes, amp, dac.
Saying this, some cables are worth the cost for ergonomic and aesthetic reasons alone, just don’t expect that huge sound upgrade when it comes to over ears.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #24,678 of 25,667
All of that thick copper cable constricted down to fuse wire at the actual driver input. The mind boggles. For a capacitance sensitive headphone, I get the potential change. But $14.5k is batsh1t crazy on a £5k headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #24,679 of 25,667
I feel its the same argument with cars. If I want to put exhaust kit on my corvette, which is already fast and good enough, why waste the 1000s of dollars to do it, if its great how it is.
I see the same thing with headphones. If I have the same headphone as someone else, Ill spend that extra to make mine a little better, atleast better in my mind. I want to squeeze that last little bit of performance. 650hp is enough, but when I pipe it and get an additional 15hp for 3k. Waste of money from one person perspective. Not from my perspective. It makes me feel good about my purchase.

Also at the end of the day, its my money that I earned I can do with, whatever I feel. I know guys that drop 10k+ on car customizations, just to take to a car show, once in a blue moon. Then park that same car in the garage until next car show. With a headphone cable, you get enjoyment out of it, each and every time.

Worth it in my eyes.

Can't wait to hear your impressions on the Voila Tubewin, seeing as you've had the Nirvana and other cables with the Susvara.
I will definitely share those impressions after some more burn in. When there's this much of an improvement to the overall system (from a hp cable no less), I feel it should be shared.

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #24,680 of 25,667
The issue for me was more I did not hear an advantage over the stock cable and using it was like wearing a harness it was so heavy and ugly.
You heard it at CanJam? Was the ambient noise level around you high when you were listening to it? I have the stock Susvara cable (that I really like by the way), but the Voila is noticeably better in every way. It is a heavy cable, maybe even slightly more so than the Nirvana. But the feel and build quality of the cable, at least to me, is very satisfying.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #24,681 of 25,667
Voila.

Attachments

• IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 22, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #24,682 of 25,667
Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #24,684 of 25,667
The paint has chipped off the frame of my Susvara, how hard is it to swap the frame out, I have contacted Hifiman and they recommend I send it to them to do but they said I might get charged customs charges on both ends even though it's in for a repair.

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #24,685 of 25,667
The paint has chipped off the frame of my Susvara, how hard is it to swap the frame out, I have contacted Hifiman and they recommend I send it to them to do but they said I might get charged customs charges on both ends even though it's in for a repair.
You will experience it sooner or later with your second pair too. The build quality of the cans is rather low, they dont seem to be anodised, its a cheap laquer.

If they declare the cans as "repaire service" sending them back, there shouldnt be any significant import tax for you.

Gz to Bliss, Susvara sound good with it for sure. Next stop is a 300b amp with Western Electric tubes haha

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #24,687 of 25,667
You have to try a pre with the CFA3. But this otherwise tracks to my own case between some 45 rolling and the TM300B mostly.
Completely agree that would be the next step to the CFA3 and get that fine tuned sound. Just haven’t gone down that path yet but would love to add some buttery 45 with detailed TM300b… in the chain.

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #24,688 of 25,667
Some cable prices seem very exaggerated , but the same happens with some dacs and amps and people dont complain about it. Its a question of being plenty of money or not. Not my case, but if i would rich i wouldnt care of buying a 15K cable or a 150k dac. That discussion goes no way. Since we love sound we do what is in our range. Of course rich people use to spend more than gear really costs, but the thing is that they dont suffer. In fact most of my friends thinks that susvara price for a pair of HP is crazy.

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #24,689 of 25,667
You heard it at CanJam? Was the ambient noise level around you high when you were listening to it? I have the stock Susvara cable (that I really like by the way), but the Voila is noticeably better in every way. It is a heavy cable, maybe even slightly more so than the Nirvana. But the feel and build quality of the cable, at least to me, is very satisfying.
If You heard it and liked it then go for it. Our hobby is very subjective as I am sure you realize. From my perspective I typically expect a cable to provide easily noticeable enhancements to the sound. Yes, the circumstances were not ideal, but I did compare late in the afternoon when it was quieter ( background noise in the 50+ db range and not the 70+ db range earlier in the day. Early morning and at or after closing for the day usually provide a quieter environment ). I hated the weight ( which may have affected me as well ), but I did compare on a favorite Jazz track and also some rock and female vocals ( I attached my N8 DAP to the amp as I carried my XLR adapter cable with me. I did try to level match ( just by ear ). Nothing hit me as “wow, this is better and I have to have it.”
YMMV.

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #24,690 of 25,667
If You heard it and liked it then go for it. Our hobby is very subjective as I am sure you realize. From my perspective I typically expect a cable to provide easily noticeable enhancements to the sound. Yes, the circumstances were not ideal, but I did compare late in the afternoon when it was quieter ( background noise in the 50+ db range and not the 70+ db range earlier in the day. Early morning and at or after closing for the day usually provide a quieter environment ). I hated the weight ( which may have affected me as well ), but I did compare on a favorite Jazz track and also some rock and female vocals ( I attached my N8 DAP to the amp as I carried my XLR adapter cable with me. I did try to level match ( just by ear ). Nothing hit me as “wow, this is better and I have to have it.”
YMMV.
Thanks god our hobby is very subjective, if not we all have to sell our susvaras and buy a 22$ 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM which messures better than susvara acording to ASR forum. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back