HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 22, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #24,691 of 25,688
If You heard it and liked it then go for it. Our hobby is very subjective as I am sure you realize. From my perspective I typically expect a cable to provide easily noticeable enhancements to the sound. Yes, the circumstances were not ideal, but I did compare late in the afternoon when it was quieter ( background noise in the 50+ db range and not the 70+ db range earlier in the day. Early morning and at or after closing for the day usually provide a quieter environment ). I hated the weight ( which may have affected me as well ), but I did compare on a favorite Jazz track and also some rock and female vocals ( I attached my N8 DAP to the amp as I carried my XLR adapter cable with me. I did try to level match ( just by ear ). Nothing hit me as “wow, this is better and I have to have it.”
YMMV.
Fair enough.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #24,692 of 25,688
If You heard it and liked it then go for it. Our hobby is very subjective as I am sure you realize. From my perspective I typically expect a cable to provide easily noticeable enhancements to the sound. Yes, the circumstances were not ideal, but I did compare late in the afternoon when it was quieter ( background noise in the 50+ db range and not the 70+ db range earlier in the day. Early morning and at or after closing for the day usually provide a quieter environment ). I hated the weight ( which may have affected me as well ), but I did compare on a favorite Jazz track and also some rock and female vocals ( I attached my N8 DAP to the amp as I carried my XLR adapter cable with me. I did try to level match ( just by ear ). Nothing hit me as “wow, this is better and I have to have it.”
YMMV.
What cable do you normally use? Did you use the DAC at the table as well?

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #24,694 of 25,688
I am using the stock cable. My comparison was done using my N8 as the DAC to feed their amp directly.
I am a proponent of the Susvara stock cable. It really is an all around great sounding cable. I preferred the stock over many after market cables. But I have to give credit where credit is due. That new Danacable is ridiculously good...

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #24,695 of 25,688
I am a proponent of the Susvara stock cable. It really is an all around great sounding cable. I preferred the stock over many after market cables. But I have to give credit where credit is due. That new Danacable is ridiculously good...

Agreed. Stock is great. You'd need a special amp synergy with either pure copper or pure silver cable for Susvara to beat the stock. However, building a cable based on stock's hybrid configuration such as Danacables are the best way to elevate from the stock cable

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #24,696 of 25,688
I got the Danacables Voila and an adapter to go to my TCs on loan today for about a week. Will be listening now and post impressions later.

IMG_3933.jpeg

IMG_3934.jpeg

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #24,697 of 25,688
First impressions: They are a little thicker than the Nirvana, but not by a large degree. Bass is a little more defined. I think I'd want these over my Nirvanas. I might make the purchase. More impressions to come. I need to listen to the new Waxahatchee off these tomorrow.

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #24,698 of 25,688
First impressions: They are a little thicker than the Nirvana, but not by a large degree. Bass is a little more defined. I think I'd want these over my Nirvanas. I might make the purchase. More impressions to come. I need to listen to the new Waxahatchee off these tomorrow.
Hey! Welcome to the club xD.

Looking forward to your impressions!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #24,699 of 25,688
A $5k cable off a $6k pair of headphone is kinda crazy though. I mean, I've had $18K headphones at one point, so whatever, but, it's still extravagant. Off the first 15 minutes, I dunno if it's worth the extra $1k over the Nirvana, but more time will tell. The bass does appear to be a little better though, which people would probably like. I need to listen to something other than the new Future though. Waxahatchee tomorrow though. I look forward to hearing these off my TCs too. Hopefully they can bring out some more midrange (a big complaint of the TCs).

If I was to buy these, I'd get the adaptor from Sean for sure. If I had to start all over again with my cables, I'd get the Voila over the Nirvana

(also, I can judge headphones and cables real quick, for those that might be wondering. I don't have perfect hearing, but I can distinguish differences very easily).

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #24,700 of 25,688
A $5k cable off a $6k pair of headphone is kinda crazy though. I mean, I've had $18K headphones at one point, so whatever, but, it's still extravagant. Off the first 15 minutes, I dunno if it's worth the extra $1k over the Nirvana, but more time will tell. The bass does appear to be a little better though, which people would probably like. I need to listen to something other than the new Future though. Waxahatchee tomorrow though. I look forward to hearing these off my TCs too. Hopefully they can bring out some more midrange (a big complaint of the TCs).

If I was to buy these, I'd get the adaptor from Sean for sure. If I had to start all over again with my cables, I'd get the Voila over the Nirvana

(also, I can judge headphones and cables real quick, for those that might be wondering. I don't have perfect hearing, but I can distinguish differences very easily).
Listen to some female vocals. That's where I find the most "magic" in my chain with the Voila.
"Spring(1)" by Max Richter shows off the strings and immediacy, and "I See Fire" cover by Celtic Woman really highlights the upper mids and highs.

Just listened to some songs by Waxahatchee on youtube, and I think it will work brilliantly with the Voila.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #24,701 of 25,688
I just realized that when I'm drunk, the Susvaras hurt my ears :triportsad:

Not my eardrums, but the top of my ears. Weird. 🤷‍♂️

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #24,703 of 25,688
I am still using the stock cable with my Susvara and EF1000 Amp with well over 1200 hours of use on it and them.
Currently, I have no reason to change it as I like the sound very much both from my analogue rig and my digital rig and can't see it as being a weak link to my headphone system. I would though for interest alone if nothing else try one of these very high priced aftermarket headphone cables.

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #24,704 of 25,688
I just realized that when I'm drunk, the Susvaras hurt my ears :triportsad:

Not my eardrums, but the top of my ears. Weird. 🤷‍♂️
doctor,it hurts when I move my arm like this...doctor...then dont move your arm like that lol...i suggest no listening when drunk lol

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #24,705 of 25,688

I just can't imagine spending that kind of money for things that are minimal in return. For $5k you could damn near have the new Imannis that everyone is raving about lol, or another TOTL headphone. My brain can't process not putting significant money towards things that offer more ROI, although I get fine tuning an end-game system.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back