HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 18, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #24,571 of 25,670
No, I agree, it's noticed immediately. I also think the soundstage is shrunk a little bit on the hybrid pads. Kind of turns the Susvara into a super he400i in a way lol. You've just made me wonder if I should grab some of the lambskin pads tho :smile:
You should get the Auteur solid hybrid pads, too. If sweetness is what you're after, I can't imagine a better descriptor for that pad.

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #24,572 of 25,670
the elrog and WE are both fantastic...the WE is warmer...has a bigger soundstage and vocals are a bit more forward..the Elrog is tighter bass,perhaps a bit more detailed and more SS like...I wish I could go back and forth between them like I change HP's but I dont want to ruin the amp or tubes so I will do so every so often..I think the Elrog might be better for the susvara and perhaps the WE for the 1266 but that is just me...love them both
I nearly picked up a new set of WE's but the other hobby took precedence and it was a no go! So i have to settle for some older GEC CV6 and some spares of Mullard CV6. SO i'm Susvara / GustardR26 / Elrog ER-MO and currently White Print Mullard CV6 - I love it!! Occaisionally i roll Orange Print Mullard CV6, National Union 2c22 and Kenrad 7193 - I dont understand people stating the Susvara is thin and peaky ... not at all. This is just perfect. Im now selling the Tungsols BGOP, spares of original 300b / 22de4. TIme for consolidation!

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #24,573 of 25,670
Listening on the Envy w/ we300b now and it sounds perfect with zero burn-in. Massive soundstage and the the most holographic imaging i've ever heard. Anyone on the fence about the Envy needs to jump over it. Never going back to SS amps.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #24,575 of 25,670
Probably a stupid question but I am looking to replace the headband and the headband frame for my Susvara, the frame has some scratches and the headband is just a bit nasty after several years of hard use.
Can anyone recommend anywhere to get a replacement, I contacted Hifiman directly but they were pretty useless and told me it was not a problem that effected the sound quality and tough luck (I offered to buy the parts).

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #24,576 of 25,670
Probably a stupid question but I am looking to replace the headband and the headband frame for my Susvara, the frame has some scratches and the headband is just a bit nasty after several years of hard use.
Can anyone recommend anywhere to get a replacement, I contacted Hifiman directly but they were pretty useless and told me it was not a problem that effected the sound quality and tough luck (I offered to buy the parts).
HOW TO Replace a Susvara Head Strap

I'm not sure if HFM has changed their policies, but I had no issue getting a replacement strap and associated hardware. I've never inquired about a replacement metal band. If you can't get any love from HFM support (which is unusual in my experience), you might want to contact a local dealer and try to work through them. Best of luck!

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #24,577 of 25,670
Hello everyone, I'm currently considering buying a Susvara directly from Hifiman. Overall, there is very different feedback on the refurbished models. I tend towards an open box model. Unfortunately the 3.5mm version is not available from Poland, but from the USA and then with customs. The 2.5mm variant is available in Poland. Apart from the plugs, has anything else changed on the Susvara with the switch to 3.5mm? The 2.5mm version is probably a lot older. Would you still buy these? The price difference is approximately €1100 due to customs.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #24,578 of 25,670
Hello everyone, I'm currently considering buying a Susvara directly from Hifiman. Overall, there is very different feedback on the refurbished models. I tend towards an open box model. Unfortunately the 3.5mm version is not available from Poland, but from the USA and then with customs. The 2.5mm variant is available in Poland. Apart from the plugs, has anything else changed on the Susvara with the switch to 3.5mm? The 2.5mm version is probably a lot older. Would you still buy these? The price difference is approximately €1100 due to customs.
You can get susvara brand new from dealers for $4250 who will declare much lower value so ask around

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #24,579 of 25,670
Nah, it's all the same.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #24,580 of 25,670
Nah, it's all the same.
All the same. Beware, the plugs are crap, if you lift your shoulder you can easily push the plug out of contact momentarily and lose signal! I have had 3 pairs all do the same. The 3.5's are slightly longer so are more problematic. You are likely to get the "catheter" cables, but its largely irrelevant. Welcome to the club, they are awesome - just make sure your chain gets the best of them - or enjoy the upgrade path as the years go by.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #24,581 of 25,670
Listening on the Envy w/ we300b now and it sounds perfect with zero burn-in. Massive soundstage and the the most holographic imaging i've ever heard. Anyone on the fence about the Envy needs to jump over it. Never going back to SS amps.
Not sure if anyone here owns both of these (though you may have listened to them side-by-side at a show), but has anyone A/B compared Envy vs Cayin 300b mk2 when both had the same WE or Elrog ER Upgraded 300b tubes - just wondering how much of the difference between these is due to their topology vs the upgraded tubes (on the Elrog site, a set of matched ER 300b is ~$1900 USD, so if the upgrade is a major factor in the optimal SQ from the unit, that cost needs to be factored into the decision whether or not to invest in one of these).

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #24,582 of 25,670
I got the 2.5mm version. It works fine. The issue is that you have to get new set of cables just for it since all other headphones are 3.5 jacks.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #24,583 of 25,670
After having come back from canjam and listened to the feliks with all 3 variants (stock, elrog, and we300b) and now owning a cayin mkII, all I can say is I don't feel like I am missing anything from the Envy. I'm sure their are differences and I wish very badly they had the cayin at canjam so I could more directly compare :[ but for me personally I don't believe it is worth the substantial price difference and I enjoy having the extra tube rectifier that comes with the Cayin. I would love a proper A/B against these with the same tubes though, that would be a fun experiment

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #24,584 of 25,670
I bought open box susvara 2,5 from poland this summer and they couldnt have more than 3 or 4 hours of use, because the sound. I had to do all the burnin. The drivers are all the same. Everybody says get a discount from a local dealer. Well, i couldnt in spain. Stock cables of susvara could look bad, but imo it sounds very well. I had a meze cable before (arya only come with unbalanced cable), and stock susvara cable sounds much better. It was a cheap meze cable. I dont mean there arent better cables.
Of course 3,5 connectors are stronger and easier to find a cable but if i was you i wouldnt care too much.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #24,585 of 25,670
After having come back from canjam and listened to the feliks with all 3 variants (stock, elrog, and we300b) and now owning a cayin mkII, all I can say is I don't feel like I am missing anything from the Envy. I'm sure their are differences and I wish very badly they had the cayin at canjam so I could more directly compare :[ but for me personally I don't believe it is worth the substantial price difference and I enjoy having the extra tube rectifier that comes with the Cayin. I would love a proper A/B against these with the same tubes though, that would be a fun experiment
From headphonics
“The Susvara was all about the HA-300MK2 in low or medium impedance mode. It is an articulate, but expansive performer, and for me, the Cayin amp just filled in that massive soundstage that bit better. Again, if you need power and bass energy, go with the Envy. Both are on par for dynamic range and resolution with the Susvara”
I think its about preferences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back