HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 11, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #24,436 of 25,604
Presumably this forthcoming can is the "Arya version" of the Susvara.

Word on the street at the time was that the Arya was an HE1000V2 driver stuck in an Edition X chassis. Anyone who's owned/heard the Arya and HE1000V2 know that they don't sound the same, but they're clearly of the same stock.
I thought the arya versión of susvara was the he6.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #24,437 of 25,604
Presumably this forthcoming can is the "Arya version" of the Susvara.

Word on the street at the time was that the Arya was an HE1000V2 driver stuck in an Edition X chassis. Anyone who's owned/heard the Arya and HE1000V2 know that they don't sound the same, but they're clearly of the same stock.
Even arya it was intended to be a h1000 laid back versión, in the style of susvaras. And i can say that is true, they are very similar (v2 at least). Of course susvara does everything much better but almost the same presentation in my opinion.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #24,438 of 25,604
This is a cross post from the CanJam impressions thread. I thought it made sense to post it here as well. At the show the Audio Technica NARUKAMI amp connected to my Susvara was incredible though not affordable:

I heard the HE-1 a bit earlier and heard the Raal Imanis both before and after. I also brought another buddy with me who loves the Susvara. We went through a series of tracks ( I used the same on each HP ) and also spun some disks ( they had an excellent SME turntable connected as well ). Neither of us ever heard the Susvara sound as good. Tremendously detailed, musical, fast and great bass ( tight and strong when called for ). The best sound at the show in my opinion. A must listen.

The AudioTechnics HP did not wow me. I heard it both prior and at the show. We were told they are working on a better headphone.
That crazy priced (100+kUS$) 'Audio Technica NARUKAMI' Headphone Amp sure looks damn ugly and old fashioned looking !

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #24,439 of 25,604
CanJam NYC impression of listening to Susvara on a Mass Kōbō 465 headphone amp ( 17000 USD shipped from Japan).

I’ve never heard the Susvara sound so good. It opens up, it punches with bass, and vocals carry weight. And this is with conference noise around me.

Less expensive tube amps also work well but the Mass Kobo blew me away.
Quite a low power output (only 3.5W balanced into 32 Ohms resistance) for such an expensive headphone amp !
If the 'Mass Kōbō 465' blew you away with it's low power output you should give the HifiMan EF1000 a demo !

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #24,441 of 25,604
That crazy priced (100+kUS$) 'Audio Technica NARUKAMI' Headphone Amp sure looks damn ugly and old fashioned looking !
I got to hear it at CanJam its not that ugly in person ,But once you hear it looks go out the window.If I had a extra 100k laying around I didn't, need I would buy it its that good.

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #24,442 of 25,604
for you who's interested for years and knows about Susvara...

resale value is?

Let's say 1y old, like new, "mint" condition of course (at least that what's proposed in the offer)
if that's true how much?
thanks!

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #24,443 of 25,604
Quite a low power output (only 3.5W balanced into 32 Ohms resistance) for such an expensive headphone amp !
If the 'Mass Kōbō 465' blew you away with it's low power output you should give the HifiMan EF1000 a demo !
there is more to an amp than its power rating, I have to assume you know that...you need a certain basic amount of power for sure but beyond that there is a lot more at work..

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #24,444 of 25,604

resale value is?

Let's say 1y old, like new, "mint" condition of course (at least that what's proposed in the offer)
if that's true how much?
thanks!
I've been shopping lately and here in the US, I'm seeing $3500-$4500 range.

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #24,445 of 25,604
You can get Susvara open box from Hifiman themselves with full warranty for $4500, so that price for a 1 year used unit is too much

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #24,446 of 25,604
Agree - got mine from a well know online vendor in the US in Nov 22 open box for $4k. These days I wouldn’t pay more.

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #24,447 of 25,604
3.5k with remaining warranty for the new variant is oke. Outside of warranty 3.2-2,8k considering you still get a driver replacement from Hifiman (to my knowing) for around 350 usd if things go south. Wouldnt pay more. Driver failure seem not to be a frequent issue.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #24,448 of 25,604

resale value is?

if that's true how much?
thanks!
Arctic cables is selling one on fleabay for 2.5 right now. Susvara's generally sell quickly around the 3k mark 2nd hand.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #24,449 of 25,604
It is actually not bad looking in person. You have to like tubes. But without question, this is the best HP amp I have ever heard based on using it with my Susvara. It got me to wondering if it competes with my Viva Aurora Monoblocks on my home 2-channel system. I may have to try them one day, though they are in no way meant for HPs. You have to get to a CanJam and hear them.

The Mass Kobo 465 sounded excellent, but not even close to the AT NARUKAMI, though still expensive, way more affordable.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #24,450 of 25,604
Lambskin pads are in (pain in the ass to get them on. Kept getting worried I’d break them. No knock against Zach it’s hifimans installation problem) and they definitely are more comfortable than stock. Also might be because my stock pads weren’t symmetrical as you can see in one of the two pics below. One side was slightly flatter. The zmf pads matched each other perfectly.

I would say off the bat I don’t feel like anything is hugely different sound wise and it’s familiar which was the goal from what I understand. I do feel a hair more bass which was measured and I appreciate actually. Was worth the buy for me. More comfortable, feel like my ears breathe better, and didn’t alter the sound much if at all.

Susvara is my open back paradise. Not surprised that if anyone was going to make it more enjoyable it’d be Zach with my past experience with zmf cans. That said I’m looking forward to that caldera closed when it launches to possibly replace my dca stealth.

Attachments

• IMG_2553.jpeg
    IMG_2553.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2554.jpeg
    IMG_2554.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back