HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 29, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #24,181 of 26,133
Don't worry. They will announce a Susvara Organic the next day you ordered yours.
Susvara Organic would sound enticing. Ideally with a black/wooden chassis but classic Susvara shape

Feb 29, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #24,183 of 26,133
Feb 29, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #24,185 of 26,133
Is it a downgrade to go from Caldera to Fei wan? I know one is a headphone and the other is IEM. Would you do it if you had the chance? Thanks.
I haven't heard the Fei Wan IEM. Personally I wouldn't do it, since I prefer Over Ears

Feb 29, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #24,186 of 26,133
What percentage of music recorded today is produced, engineered, performed by the artists for our audiophile community?

Me? I love live music and am happy with Amazon HD. But I feel like most music just doesn’t do all this expense justice. But when it all is there. BAM.

Thoughts re my ramble?

One frustration I do have is that there is so much great music to discover on YouTube.. live performances recorded, but the SQ ain’t audiophile.

Don't get me started on the whole "performed for our community" angle. The worst thing to happen to music was the advent of high quality home recordings. "Easier to express yourself" my eye - record companies no longer have to bother maintaining esoteric portfolios. The internet can deal with all the weird crap. Let's pound out some 120bpm, four-to-the-floor crap with those incessant trap cymbals!

The music, any music, all music absolutely does the expense justice.

I think all these "the sound drove me to tears" audiophile types are maladjusted lunatics, or maybe I have no heart. Either way, the closest I got to that was hearing "Goodbye Port Pie Hat/Brush With The Blues" off Jeff Beck's "Performing this week... Live at Ronnie Scott's" on my brand-new Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear, which was the hotness at the time. I could not believe my ears.

Not one subsequent "step up" left me with that feeling, ever. Frankly, every one has been a bit of a disappointment, as I built my hopes up.

So why is it still all worth it?

Because each "step up" actually didn't sound that much better, but it definitely made the previous step sound that much worse. It's actually shocking how bad previous stuff sounds once you get familiar with the top of the top. I do believe that the LCD-4 is a better value than the LCD-X dollar-for-dollar, because I think the LCD-4 sounds over 2.5x better than the LCD-X does. Yes, the Susvara is three HE1000v2s.

I still have a set of OG Momentums, and... yeah, no.

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #24,188 of 26,133
Am i wrong? Thats what i have read. Im not a sound engineer. I work as sound technician. My knowledege is quite limited though. The only thing i can talk is about my listening impressions, as part of my work is to listen. So dont take my tech comments very seriously. I also apologize for my english 😂.
But what i like of head-fi is that subjetive things matters. I can find people who match my preferences with more experience than me and get good advices. Im not trying to teach, so replies are welcome.

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #24,189 of 26,133
If you’re into summmit-fi headphones, the Susvara is a must have. :metal:

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #24,190 of 26,133
Am i wrong? Thats what i have read. Im not a sound engineer. I work as sound technician. My knowledege is quite limited though. The only thing i can talk is about my listening impressions, as part of my work is to listen. So dont take my tech comments very seriously. I also apologize for my english 😂.
But what i like of head-fi is that subjetive things matters. I can find people who match my preferences with more experience than me and get good advices. Im not trying to teach, so replies are welcome.
You don't have to apologize.
Just don't believe in marketing that much :wink:

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #24,191 of 26,133
I have had the Susvara for a couple of weeks and convinced me that this is all the headphone I need / want. A few years back, when I started my music journey, I went from Fostex to a Hifiman Ananda and I though that it was so amazing, I loved it. Then Arya, HE1000V2, Arya Organic, HE1000SE all had their time but nothing compares to Susvara.... it is just right to my ears. Not too bright, not too dark, super clear... amazing air, etc...

I never thought I would buy it... I figured all the hype was just that... but I am happy I am among the lucky ones who can try this headphone. Now I can rest, sit back and enjoy the music!!! :gs1000smile:

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #24,192 of 26,133
I suspect the susvara will still be among the best HP's available 10 yrs from now

Feb 29, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #24,193 of 26,133
I suspect the susvara will still be among the best HP's available 10 yrs from now
Definitely. I don't see a reason to "upgrade" from here. Everything would just be a side grade. I'm sure a susvara 2 with a wider soundstage and deeper sub bass could be possible but it would lose what makes the susvara as special as it is. Abyss AB 1266 phi tc accomplishes wider soundstage and stronger bass but of course there are trade offs.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #24,195 of 26,133
Main problem with susvara is that you expect magic at this price. Sisvara is flawless only when music is. Some songs you think they dont improve very much, well, headphones cant do miracles. Specially with narrow or too dry songs, you can feel this headphones doesnt worth its price. For that kind of bad mixed music you dont need TOTL headphones. Also a warmer tunning (susvara is neutral) can help more than the ability of susvara to create a musical space. But when you listen to open wide an deep music is when you feel its hard to get any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back