HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 18, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #24,001 of 25,604
Had another listen to the Susvara at yesterday's DC area meet. This Susvara had the Dekoni Velour earpads, so not the stock tonality, but it seemed close enough to what I remember it being. Used the Schiit Yggdrasil and Mjolnir 3; I don't recall if feedback was enabled or not on the MJ3 - since I'm not a Schiit owner myself, I don't remember what each of their little icons means.

I enjoyed that demo, though this was only a few minutes. I didn't encounter that odd sort of transient sibilance or leading edge glare that I noted in my previous impressions (that was using stock pads on the Hugo TT2 + HeadAmp CFA3). Based on the graphs of the Dekoni velours, those pads slightly soften the lower treble, so that might be what's happening. But I also didn't use the exact same songs, and it was a louder environment, and it was a different chain. But what matters is that I liked the Susvara's sound.

I was also able to do a direct comparison vs the DCA Expanse on that same Schiit chain. The Susvara won that matchup handily. The Expanse had this upper midrange emphasis that I find a bit annoying and less natural while the Susvara has the more relaxed midrange tonality while not sounding recessed in that area. The Susvara had a more pleasing and natural (to me) sounding decay of percussive notes with drum hits having a noticeable air to their decay while the Expanse cuts off the decay a bit too early. The Susvara, importantly, had the more convincing spatial rendition of notes. Each note "blooms" a bit at its location in the soundstage, so it starts at a point, then fills out a volume around that point as the note decays. I use the analogy of a frosted LED light bulb illuminating a dark room. There's the actual lit surface of the light bulb, but there's also that halo of light around the bulb. That's how each note "appears" in the soundscape. The Expanse also has that volume, but no bloom, so it's like the light bulb is 3x the size, but it doesn't light up the rest of the room - there's no "halo" of sound as the note decays. To me, that lack of note "bloom" makes the Expanse sound constricted, like the notes are overlapping spatially in a forced way compared the Susvara which overlays notes in a natural way. The Susvara on the other hand sounds open in note presentation, and openness is a key attribute that I listen for in a headphone.
You ought to hear it on a top tier tube amp. Its utter beguiling. There are not rough edges unless they were already in the music. Voices are real. Notes hang. THe recording space can be "seen". Its an experience, even listening to 60's music is special, it doesnt need the best recordings to do incredible things.

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #24,002 of 25,604
Thanks for letting me know. Saved me 1.5K from not buying the Loki Max then. My lokius, though inexpensive, works really well and doesn’t mess with my sound quality.
I also found that just adding bass on the lowest knob sounded unreal. It ruined what was special. I so wanted it to work out.

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #24,003 of 25,604
You ought to hear it on a top tier tube amp. Its utter beguiling. There are not rough edges unless they were already in the music. Voices are real. Notes hang. THe recording space can be "seen". Its an experience, even listening to 60's music is special, it doesnt need the best recordings to do incredible things.

I agree with this whole heartedly. I am really, really enjoying the Susvara on my tubes for the reasons you stated.

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #24,004 of 25,604
Is there a sun up of how current totl tube Amps perform with Sus and what the differences are?

Ha-6a?
Ha-300b mk1?
Ha-300b mk2?
Feliks Envy
Wa-23 Luna?

Anything big I missed?

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #24,005 of 25,604
AS one who is enamored with my CFA3 and susvara I want to sing the praises of the envy out of the list

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #24,006 of 25,604
Is there a sun up of how current totl tube Amps perform with Sus and what the differences are?

Ha-6a?
Ha-300b mk1?
Ha-300b mk2?
Feliks Envy
Wa-23 Luna?

Anything big I missed?

WA33 Elite, Trafomatic Primavera, ampsandsound Red October.

Even an entry SET amp can do wonders to Susvara (palpable imaging, tight bass etc.) minus the grip, scale and immediacy of TOTL tube amps

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #24,008 of 25,604
It is definitely a special piece.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #24,010 of 25,604

Ha-6a?
Ha-300b mk1?
Ha-300b mk2?
Feliks Envy
Wa-23 Luna?

Anything big I missed?
HIfiman EF1000 (tube pre, ss power).

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #24,011 of 25,604
HIfiman EF1000 (tube pre, ss power).
Thx but interested in pure tube amps that would make good addition to my Bliss :]

Envy is probably my celling price-wise atm. Ha-300 mk.2 is very atractive price-wise,especially aftermarket.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #24,012 of 25,604
a man in a hurry or so it seems
Lol! I explicitly did not give it a time frame. It’s most likely going to be next year. I’m very content at the moment, headphone-wise.

Need some new earphones soon, though.

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #24,013 of 25,604
^ it's your cash to splash on whatever you like, whenever you like. i've been eyeing the susvara for some time, truth be told.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #24,014 of 25,604
The Susvara sounds flat out incredible with the HA-6A. Would love to compare with the 300B-MKII and Feliks Envy. I will try to listen at the upcoming NY Canjam how they compare if I can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back