HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #23,221 of 26,732
Why do you care and why do you need to even share your personal view in an antagonist way?
Um because I don’t want to see people get suckered into wasting hard earned money on invisible improvements??? Is it so hard to prove cables make a difference??

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #23,222 of 26,732
I think the thing to remember is aural acuity for every single person is different. Not only their perception, but what they can actually hear. Hearing loss is a consideration. Knowledge what to look/listen for is important, too. Not everyone can, will, or wants to hear a difference.

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #23,223 of 26,732
Um because I don’t want to see people get suckered into wasting hard earned money on invisible improvements??? Is it so hard to prove cables make a difference??
If they hear a difference, and are happy, what’s that to you?

Wait til you hear about high end end fashion brands selling items that are of the same look and quality as most other regular brands. You can also take your advocacy there.

Ps: the headfi mute button is a godsend.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #23,224 of 26,732

We are literally all here ”wasting” money on a hobby 99% of the world population would say the exact same thing as you are, but about amplifiers, dacs, headphones, audio quality of files, etc.

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #23,225 of 26,732
Not to mention about cables...

I plugged in a I2S cable yesterday. Heard the difference withing 10minutes. It has been a day I still know how it sound different from the previous I2S cable..

This is even a digital cable. Did I say too much?

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #23,226 of 26,732
Not to mention about cables...

I plugged in a I2S cable yesterday. Heard the difference withing 10minutes. It has been a day I still know how it sound different from the previous I2S cable..

This is even a digital cable. Did I say too much?

Even toslink cables (glass bundles vs plastic fiber) on a 44.1 KHz sample rate (not focusing on whether it can reliably transfer 192 KHz) sounds different from each other and we're talking light in this case

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #23,227 of 26,732
Please do a blind test with your girlfriend and share the results
We always do blind tests. That makes it more fun and easier to hear (and feel) the differences.

I'm sure that won't be a problem and she can easily identify which cables are which
Now you are upping the ante. I said we can easily hear the difference between crap, good and excellent cables in my system. Nothing more, nothing less.

But you've given me an excellent idea. Would be really interesting to take 5-10 cables, memorize their sound signatures and try to identify them blindly and reliably.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #23,228 of 26,732
We always do blind tests. That makes it more fun and easier to hear (and feel) the differences.

Now you are upping the ante. I said we can easily hear the difference between crap, good and excellent cables in my system. Nothing more, nothing less.

But you've given me an excellent idea. Would be really interesting to take 5-10 cables, memorize their sound signatures and try to identify them blindly and reliably.
Trust me these people will never let go until they hear the silence in there own head.
--

What I noticed: in some cables(on the chain) can be too airy and some too dry. Finding the perfect blend 50/50, will make elements pop out more, and emphasize holographic experience. It is a combination of cables on the chain.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #23,229 of 26,732
Trust these people will never let go until they hear the silence in there own head.
--

What I noticed: in some cables(on the chain) can be too airy and some too dry. Finding the perfect blend 50/50, will make elements pop out more, and emphasize holographic experience. It is a combination of cables on the chain.

Truly system dependent. Pretty much use a sterile system and you'll probably won't hear much if there's a change at all. Now use a resolving system then even a change in power cable or even USB cable, toslink cable and you'll hear differences EASILY like within 3-10 seconds of hitting play button.

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #23,230 of 26,732
For those who wondering if schiit midgard can drive the Susvara, not really tbh. Not for those who needs room for EQ.
I received the schiit midgard today, compared it with my class A luxman speakeramp + HE-adapter.
It was immediately clear to me the schiit midgard was quite a downgrade.
The midgard for me compared to my luxman speakeramp it was "lacking" authority in the bass range, also lacking punch and power.

I also noticed I needed to crank the volume all the way up, quite surprisingly the schiit midgard is supposed to be a 5watt headphone amp? Yes I double checked I was using the "high-gain" :wink:.
I am a heavy EQ user though so there's that (need to use -20db pre amp in equalizer apo).

Guess for my needs in future I need to go the speakeramp rolling route in combination HE-adapter.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #23,231 of 26,732
Mjolnir 3 at 2 watts is actually more compatible with Susvara than the Midgard with better dynamics, authority and refinement (second only to a Enleum 23R, around Prelude level). However, once you apply a negative gain from a PEQ, forget any Schiit amps and most headphone only amps and go straight for integrated/speakers amps for full headroom.

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #23,233 of 26,732
Trollbearpig. The name says it all. He’s just on having a laugh at the expense of those who react to, well…trolls. Don't worry, he uses aftermarket cables too, and can hear the difference. The pig. What a bear.

He can tell the ultrasonic differences in cables considering a pig can hear in that region https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2272932/

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #23,234 of 26,732
Are you guys still running on about that guy's thoughts?
Isn't this a Susvara thread? Ya know, about the Hifiman Susvara, a hifi product?

Goodness gracious. Get off of your high horses.
Such a simple comment he made, yet so much resentment sent unto him.

Since my return, I have met a lot of great people and had some great discussions, but this sort of blatant, consistent trashing of another user, with differing thoughts, disgusts me.
This hobby is built upon the foundation of every single person having a unique ear design, head geometry, and personal listening preferences.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #23,235 of 26,732
For those who wondering if schiit midgard can drive the Susvara, not really tbh. Not for those who needs room for EQ.
I received the schiit midgard today, compared it with my class A luxman speakeramp + HE-adapter.
It was immediately clear to me the schiit midgard was quite a downgrade.
The midgard for me compared to my luxman speakeramp it was "lacking" authority in the bass range, also lacking punch and power.

I also noticed I needed to crank the volume all the way up, quite surprisingly the schiit midgard is supposed to be a 5watt headphone amp? Yes I double checked I was using the "high-gain" :wink:.
I am a heavy EQ user though so there's that (need to use -20db pre amp in equalizer apo).

Guess for my needs in future I need to go the speakeramp rolling route in combination HE-adapter.
If you lik EQ and have a computer.

1. Universal Audio UAD-2 Solo or duo. They are discounted. They only have the OCTO.
-buy a used one. they are very very cheap now I have the UAD-2 Solo PCIe. I would recommend you the DUO as it has more power. Some of there plugins are very heavy. You can demo ALL of their plugins for 14days.
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-accelerators/uad-2-pcie.html
2. Sonnox Oxford EQ
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/mastering/oxford-eq.html

The plugins are cheap now. You need a player that supports vst. Sonnox EQ just flat sounds good. Short said it sounds better than any other builtin eq, I have tried.

Also personally I think Susvara needs very little EQ. Almost none compared to other Hifimans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back