HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 29, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #23,176 of 25,600
I also tried oratory peq in my susvara and sounds terrible.
My lcd4 sounds better than susvara with the oratory eq.
Maybe we are adding to much distortion to the headphone with this eq.
I can attest to how awesome the LCD-4 with Oratory EQ is. Still prefer that natural sound of the Susvara.

Or, I sold my LCD-4 to get the Susvara and do not regret it LOL

Dec 29, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #23,178 of 25,600
Measure dat science

a-xoC9vVCG0BCHTj2K4b-MIDE0tIDKqqrD5YHzZfKFcrLESqIzzmGXWuckJuZFCt-FC4BxdMbG2o5MwZ-06BQ805pDzfWw

Convolve and escalate dat science

gH4-iriJ0OZUJHbZn8a2Qzz2axPKAdTKoGPR9tZ9-yIrFzhboQGFlYAUVo__LcvEmJmaUyXeg-JmdjrBF66oPOFbkLUL96Y

Enjoy dat moosic

Blog-Spotify-1537x952.gif

Okay, I couldn't resist that... so forgive me... On the plus side, this is a "fun" way of transforming ASR smugness and pseudo-science-self righteousness into nuggets of pure hilarity... And I can't get enough of this kind of satire, ... I confess. But I'll stop here..., I promise... Scout's honor:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #23,179 of 25,600
Harman Target is valuable for the manufacturing side to make something that sound "good enough" to most people, but it doesn't make sense for the consumer side to use this as a reference.
I don't think the research is bad but people need to read the original research paper before worship it.
The Harman target curve is one example that is preferred by a majority (64%) of listeners from a broad range of ages, listening experiences, and genders.
As expected, there are also critics whose headphone tastes in sound may not agree with the research. The Harman target is intended as a guideline and is not the last word on what makes a headphone sound good.
The fact is 36% listeners from the original research doesn't even preferred the Harman Target due to the target is too far from their own HRTF + preference.

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #23,180 of 25,600
EQ a headphone based on other people's measurement is risky.
For example, if there is a 6KHz peak in the measurement, it might be:
1. The peak is an artifact of the measurement device, it doesn't exists for you, if you EQ it then you will have a 6KHz dip
2. The peak exists for you but it's at 6.5KHz, if you EQ it then you will have both 6 KHz dip and 6.5Khz peak
3. The peak exists for you and it's at 6KHz, EQ can fix the peak for you
Some headphones doesn't have a consistent FR so the frequency of peaks and dips can change anytime due to the fit position, in this case no EQ can fix it.
The consistency of the Susvara is excellent as I measured, no matter how I change the position the deviation is small.
The Susvara has a small dip at 2KHz and a small peak at 6KHz to me but I don't mind to EQ it, I consider it's the character of Susvara and enjoy it as is.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #23,181 of 25,600
Just got my Susvara two days ago and it’s been on my head for awhile!

The legend is real, definitely the best headphone on my head so far. Also ordered a Modhouse Tungsten which should arrive in 12 weeks for a showdown.

Did a quick test with amps I have:

Mass Kobo 394ii:
the amp drives the headphone well and loud enough with overall good control, the stage and the mid all sound good. The treble is a tiny bit bright and the bass is there but not hard hitting. It sound amazing overall and I could be happy with it.

Bakoon HPA01:
Susvara sounds good with it, the stage is not as big as Mass Kobo but the bass impact is there and the music sounds more lively.

Satie/Bakoon HDA5230:
Does drive the Susvara to just listenable volume with high current mode and max volume, but doesn’t fulfill its potential compare to HPA01. But given the size of the amp wasn’t surprised.

Cavalli liquid gold x (LAu X):
Can also drive Susvara without going high gain, the detail and stage is not as wide as the Mass Kobo. Behind Mass Kobo and Bakoon HPA01.

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #23,182 of 25,600
Screenshot_20231230-093405~2.png

Do I win anything for making Amir admit there's important aspects of headphones he can't yet measure? 😁

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #23,183 of 25,600
Do I win anything for making Amir admit there's important aspects of headphones he can't yet measure? 😁
No, because he then framed the "concession" as just more support for his Harman ueber alles crusade. But we appreciate your efforts nonetheless... :relaxed:

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #23,184 of 25,600
The Lokius is a perfect addition to your chain with a Susvara. Just turn that first knob to taste. Done! Perfect FR!

Are these ZMF Auteur Hybrid pads all they are cracked up to be?
I had the posh version with the remote. I sold it within a week. It kills the soundstage. It also made low end lifts sounds wonky like it lifted FAR too much. Even the free EQ programs for windows do the job 10x better. Roon was flawless too.

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #23,186 of 25,600
This conversation could continous elsewhere(ASR) if you are unsatisfied with your Susvaras.

Just a new years eve recommendations.

I don’t know where the break is for you guys. Bringing that conversation in here more than a couple of days, makes me concerned about your Susvara chain.

No offense😊🎊🌲🎅🎆🎇

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #23,187 of 25,600
Searching for some amp reviews I found this forum: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/audio-science-review-review.9827/page-8
It seems like ASR gets sponsored by some Chinese companies? I always wondered why there are mostly Topping, SMSL and other Chinese brands reviewed.

Old news.

Just ask yourself why DACs and Amps as supposedly solved problem attract frequent purchases from the same people who claim it.

ASR is the Netflix of flat, lifeless, dead sounding hardware and its subscribers are mostly pc gamers and engineer nerds who look at MSI Afterburner oberlay during games instead of focussing on the game itself.

If you are remotely fascinated about music you are either sooner or later abandoning that circle or be trapped forever in mediocrity.

Now Head-Fiers have their own problems, sure, but they have far better choices in spreading their mind and soul.

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #23,188 of 25,600
ASR is the Netflix of flat, lifeless, dead sounding hardware and its subscribers are mostly pc gamers and engineer nerds who look at MSI Afterburner oberlay during games instead of focussing on the game itself.
As an electrical engineer and an avid PC gamer, I feel attacked (/s) :smile:

You do have a point. While I count myself quite far into the objectivity camp so to speak, ASR takes it way too far at times. If a beginner asks how to spend their limited budget, I do think it serves them better to look at things objectively, e.g. spending the most on headphones and after that the source, ignoring cables, expensive DAC's and whatnot. But from that point forward, everyone should be free to form their own view on how to continue this hobby, and if comparing DAC's and finding "synergy" in the system is part of it, or swapping cables, that's fine. In the end people do this for enjoyment and entertainment, there is nothing to be gained in forcing the "objectivist" view down everyone's throat at every opportunity, like ASR tends to do.

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #23,189 of 25,600
“DACs and Amps are solved problems” - Couldn’t be further from reality. Probably those legendary mastering engineers are rofling on this phrase.

Jan 2, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #23,190 of 25,600
“DACs and Amps are solved problems” - Couldn’t be further from reality. Probably those legendary mastering engineers are rofling on this phrase.

You can objectively test that claim yourself by performing a controlled blind test (matching voltages and following an appropriate methodology, with help from other people).

If you can finally determine that DACs and amplifiers are not a solved technology in 2024 by doing so, then we can say that this claim is far from reality. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back