HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 24, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #23,012 of 25,604
not true...only buy based on reviewers you know share you likes or a consensus of reviewers

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #23,015 of 25,604
having auditioned the susvara twice now, the review, measurements and ensuing pile on over at the other site hasn't put me off. i guess there's no fool like an audiophool.
Just don't listen at 114 dB with a 6 dB sub-bass boost, and I reckon you'll enjoy it more than Amir did... :sunglasses:

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #23,016 of 25,604
7 yrs the susvara has been regarded as perhaps the best HP available by tons of reviewers and owners but now we learn according to ASR that it is really an underperming overpriced product

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #23,018 of 25,604
7 yrs the susvara has been regarded as perhaps the best HP available by tons of reviewers and owners but now we learn according to ASR that it is really an underperming overpriced product

It’s okay for ASR-newcomers to get lost in finding what’s best in the beginning of their hobby and once they get bored of their sterile sounding headphone system, they’ll eventually find their way to Susvara at some point in their journey. Though I would think they’ll upgrade to better sounding components than what ASR typically recommends then eventually have the right chain for the eventual Susvara ownership

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #23,019 of 25,604
Measurements are useful, especially for certain aspects of the process of producing audio equipment, but they never determine exclusively the quality of the final sonic performance of any product, and nor were they ever meant to. There are substantial aspects of the art and genius of tuning an audio product that will never be reflected in any numbers, in the same way as there are important aspects of "subjective" pleasures of listening that are not mathematically translatable into numbers or graphs... As almost everyone in this hobby knows already or should, there are components that measure very well, and yet sound almost unlistenable and crappy. Examples of such components abound on the market, and anyone approaching the subject of measurements with a measure of common sense should quickly run into this apparent discrepancy and draw the appropriate related conclusions which are all about the limitations of measurements.

Unfortunately acknowledging such limitations is an apparent anathema to the zealots of measurement for whom the fascination with easily generated numbers, graphs, and technical diagrams--a fascination with data that is all to often uncritically and simplistically confused with "science"--make up nothing short of a religion of value and good taste in audio. This emphatically hilarious zealotry would be fittingly dismissed as the clown show it often is, were we living in an alternate reality where sanity and reason prevailed over most actions of humans, but why even expect "reason," "sanity" and common sense to play nicely with this or any kind of zealotry in the world of audiophiles?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #23,020 of 25,604
Not all that concerned. Distortion at 94db looks fine. I normally listen at less than 80db. I rarely go up to 85db. On the HE-6 review Amir says 94db is not a listenable level.

Who is listening at 114db? In his review he says to get that he needed to max out a AHB2 (100w @ 8ohm) amplifier to get that much volume. It seems like a strange thing to judge a headphone on. This would literally hurt your ears to listen to.

Only person ****ed up is whoever lent him a Susvara only for him to max out the volume on a speaker amp to see how far he could push it, only to hope Amir can figure out shipping since Amir almost a pair of HE-6 when he screwed up shipping: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-with-loss-of-hifiman-he-6.22447/

1703445610579.png

I didn't see anything new in the measurements. Seems like the usual shock post to drive more traffic to the website.
This graphic is irrelevant, and doesn't get to the heart of the matter.
There are only a few people, who have delved reely deeply into this dB matter. But they exist.

Why does it matter how high the distortion is above 110 dB? Because even at volumes around 90 dB, average, there are many ultra short dB peaks up to well over 100 dB.
These can only be recorded with special measuring devices. But they exist.

In any case, I expect a 6000 € headphone,
to produce at least as little distortion,
as my he6se, which only costs a tenth of the price.

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #23,021 of 25,604
How about only buy things you’ve heard OR can return once you’ve heard?
Would strongly recommend listening to any product prior to purchasing. Especially at this price point. For anyone that owns a Susvara
I wouldn't say Susvara is perfect, there are attributes of other TOTL headphones that I like. But it definitely is in the category of absolute best all-round planar. To take something from top-tier performance and put it towards the bottom (same with 1266) seems more like more like fishing for clicks.
Agreed. There are other things that I enjoy from different headphones. However, there is just something about the Susvara that makes it special, especially its ability to play almost anything you put before it.

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #23,023 of 25,604
I have to laugh for anyone who believes Susvara is a lofi distortion-fest because of Amir's measurements.

Also wondering, why suddenly all the other measurements out there that show a believable level of distortion and frequency response get disregarded.

The isn't the first time ASR has produced outrageous left-field measurements that both contradicted other measurements and listener impressions. IMO, he has little incentive to get his tests right.

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #23,024 of 25,604
Modern music has at absolute maximum 14db headroom between the average RMS level. Most pop is between 6 and 9db.

Most people are not setting their average level at 100db. That means a constant 100db floor of sound, which will damage your hearing fairly fast.

I've personally not heard any extra distortion on Susvara peaks or transients. Nor do I know anyone who has.

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #23,025 of 25,604
I have to laugh for anyone who believes Susvara is a lofi distortion-fest because of Amir's measurements.

Also wondering, why suddenly all the other measurements out there that show a believable level of distortion and frequency response get disregarded.

The isn't the first time ASR has produced outrageous left-field measurements that both contradicted other measurements and listener impressions. IMO, he has little incentive to get his tests right.
Yeah agreed and even IF his measurements were correct, the biggest problem is how do you interpret this kind of data? is the distortion or resonance he was measuring really concidered as a error? is it enough data to make any conclusions about sound quality? Does it really mean anything

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back