HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 19, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #22,879 of 25,604
but this notion implies that a lower tier headphone will actually start sounding worse if a dac is too “well performing”. I haven’t experienced this.
Probably not the best forum to continue this conversation point but - I wonder if what leads folks around to that notion is not neccessarily that the higher resolving DAC/system is making their headphones sound bad, but rather that it is revealing flaws in the source or recordings that had been previously masked by lower tier DACs or system synergies overall with the most direct correlation being as end result - my headphones sound worse ?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #22,880 of 25,604
So you guys are saying any given headphone can handle all dacs on the market. It should scale or atleast be able to perform on same level as any dac?

You don’t have the slightest believe that a headphone could be the weakest link?

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #22,881 of 25,604
You don’t have the slightest believe that a headphone could be the weakest link?
I think your misconstruing what's being said.
There is a difference between a headphone can limit the value you can get from a DAC (or amp for that matter), and if a DAC is too resolving the headphones sound bad.
You seemed to be saying the latter, not the former.
Synergy is a thing and it matters (a lot), but my office system cost more than a lot of peoples cars and it doesn't make say an HD600 sound bad, you don't get all of the nuance from it on an HD600, but it still sounds better than a $200/$1000/$5000 (pick your number) system, it just sounds better with the best headphones.
There is an argument for good systems make bad recordings sound bad, but IME that happens really early on in the equipment progression.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #22,882 of 25,604
You are driving Susvara with two power amps, but how about driving it with one? Is it not enough compared to two amps?
..the Susvara sounds already with one much better then Bliss, I used it for a few month. I had the second amp for my speakers, but used them not anymore. So I decided to test the Susvara with this two - it sounds better :wink:

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #22,883 of 25,604
No matter what HiFi System (speakers or headphones) you have, after years of experience you get to know if a system has well matched synergies between each of the components in the chain or not.

To my ears it's when the music just flows effortlessly and naturally with no one music frequency dominating another that you know you have a very pleasing and synergistic system.

The acid test is if you can listen to multiple music genres for many hours from your HiFi system with no to little ear fatigue even music that you knew sounded bad some time ago when you played them on a different system and now you question this past thinking as the music now sounds sooooo good !

Of course, it also greatly helps if you have in your HiFi System chain some of the best made and performing components that make beautiful music as long as they all match synergistically !

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #22,884 of 25,604
So I’m running these in a Topping stack with the A90 Discrete and they sound amazing to my ears. In fact better by far then my Calderas. Everything is perfectly balanced with just the right amount of bass to satisfy me without overpowering the mids and muddying things up.

But I see lots of discussion here on various amps so I would like to see for myself as I’m pretty skeptical. So I will compare the A90D with the LA90 speaker amp.

How would I connect the Susvara to the speaker amp [LA90] ?

EDIT: ended up going with this for the connector

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #22,885 of 25,604
synergy
/ˈsɪnədʒi/

noun
noun: synergy; plural noun: synergies; noun: synergism; plural noun: synergisms

A word that has nothing to do in head-fi, but often used in head-fi, that includes a lot of meanings in one lazy word: Instead of weak, powerful or being able to explain good or positive feelings about a DAC, AMP or a headphone

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #22,886 of 25,604
Matching the equipment to get good synergy is one of the most important things in the pursuit of high fidelity.

"The dictionary defines synergy as the interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects. That pretty well describes what happens when we combine two or more pieces of gear within a given system. An effect, for better or for worse, that is greater than the sum of their separate efforts. This added benefit (or degradation) is the result of interactions: how two pieces affect each other. A cable interacts with a product in good and bad ways. A phono cartridge interacts with a phono preamplifier in beneficial as well as detrimental ways. Speakers and amps, turntables and arms, computers and DACs. Each has its own set of positives and negatives when interfacing with each other. How does one get the most benefit, and the least degradation from these interactions? This used to be the exclusive purview of the dealer. Dealers assembled systems with synergy and sold them as packages to customers. Some of the finest setups I have heard were expertly curated assemblages of products, each synergistic with the other. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer audio-specific dealers these days, and of the successful ones, many have turned to custom installation and home theater systems to stay in business. But the need to mix and match for best synergy has never gone away, and it's healthy to remind ourselves that often the goal of assembling a proper system is minimizing negative interactions while maximizing positive ones. That's what we're actually doing when we pick this speaker with that amplifier, that DAC with that cable. It's also what we're doing when we insert a preamplifier in the mix. Reducing negative interactions. But what about the ultimate synergistic collection of equipment, the integrated? Let's take a look tomorrow."
https://www.psaudio.com/blogs/pauls-posts/synergy-4/

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #22,887 of 25,604
Well I got my new susvara’a today yaaay 😀

Been trying the prelude a-b with moon 430had, using Pontus II as dac on both. I was very exited to try susvara with the prelude as its reviews states that it makes the susvara really rumble and that it drives it really good.

I get basically just as good and hard hitting bass on both amps. The moon plays a little bigger with a little deeper bass, while the prelude looses some resolution in comparison and it does have more kind of midbassfocus. If I didn’t have both at the same time I wouldn’t care about the bass difference. All in all the amps sound pretty much the same to me.

Maybe the Pontus II works better in synergy with the moon 430had, I get louder volume when using the Pontus II instead of the integrated dac in the 430had (same increase in volume as going from lo to hi gain) also found this on the prelude- When the high gain is selected, the balanced input signal amplitude should be less than 3.6V.

The Pontus is 4v through xlr.

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #22,888 of 25,604
synergy
/ˈsɪnədʒi/

noun
noun: synergy; plural noun: synergies; noun: synergism; plural noun: synergisms

A word that has nothing to do in head-fi, but often used in head-fi, that includes a lot of meanings in one lazy word: Instead of weak, powerful or being able to explain good or positive feelings about a DAC, AMP or a headphone
So you are the arbiter of nothing.

Nods.

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #22,889 of 25,604
wrong reply

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #22,890 of 25,604
So you are the arbiter of nothing.

Nods.
How did you get that?

I wan´t you to believe in your preference more than just, you trying to justify a purchase of hard earned 6000-7000 dollars. I am not here to convince you of what I prefer. I am here to be open-minded.

This community have a lot of close-minded people. This goes for every Hi-Fi community. Everybody is a scentist nowadays.

Keep an open mind to what you are reading, maybe you learn something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back