HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 17, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #22,156 of 25,919
Thanks so much for all the responses!!

Would the Violectric V380(2) still leave much on the table as well? This would be for my computer setup. I need 3 inputs: Hugo2Go, feed from main stereo, and computer (non-music). That's one of the reasons I like the Violectric units.

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #22,157 of 25,919
need some testing.
Anyone/Susvara here can test for me with his system what happens between 3:40 and 3:50 of "Honor Thy Father" song from Train Of Thought album ?

I want to know if my system is the bottleneck here ( or if this 10secs intricate part of drum/mix has been produced with some meh ) as it sounds bad on it
I'll listen to it when I get home. Are you listening to it on youtube? I'll listen on youtube and check to see if it's on qobuz or something later.

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #22,158 of 25,919
I'll listen to it when I get home. Are you listening to it on youtube? I'll listen on youtube and check to see if it's on qobuz or something later.
Thanks a lot , no youtube, please find a lossless/hi res source for it , it s a quite common song and album for streaming services

On both 44 and 96 source on my system that 10 seconds window don't sound particularly right ( another musician -other then me- instantly told the same 2 days ago , then the quest for the reason.. )

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #22,159 of 25,919
Would the Violectric V380(2) still leave much on the table as well?
I'm afraid it would. All I had was my v550 when I acquired my Susvara, and as others have testified to, there were no issues with volume and it sounded pretty good but, not great, even trying with different DACs. Was it doable, yes. but it felt like something was missing and to spend the money you spend, even if you buy a used Susvara, that's not the feeling you want to have in the back of your mind during your listening sessions. At least this was my experience.

If you want to work a Violectric amp and Susvara you may want to look for a pre-owned Niimbus US4/US5, or you could set your sites on either an HEKse, or HEKv2 with one of the amps you mentioned instead of the Susvara. Just some options.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #22,160 of 25,919
Thanks a lot , no youtube, please find a lossless/hi res source for it , it s a quite common song and album for streaming services

On both 44 and 96 source on my system that 10 seconds window don't sound particularly right ( another musician -other then me- instantly told the same 2 days ago , then the quest for the reason.. )
So I listened to that part, sounds like there is a shrill synth like sound from more on the left side of the headphone while the kick drums appear more to the right side of the headphone. That similar synth sound also appears at 1:48 to 1:59 but it isn't as shrill and piercing nor do the drums get blasted as the time stamp you mention at 3:40-3:50. It sounded more coherent at 1:48-1:59 than at 3:40. I think it has to do with the drumming. At your timestamp 3:40 the drums go hard and fast, which could have resulted in having to play the other instrumentation louder to compensate, ultimately making it sound "muddled". I agree with the previous person's assessment.

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #22,161 of 25,919
I'm afraid it would. All I had was my v550 when I acquired my Susvara, and as others have testified to, there were no issues with volume and it sounded pretty good but, not great, even trying with different DACs. Was it doable, yes. but it felt like something was missing and to spend the money you spend, even if you buy a used Susvara, that's not the feeling you want to have in the back of your mind during your listening sessions. At least this was my experience.

If you want to work a Violectric amp and Susvara you may want to look for a pre-owned Niimbus US4/US5, or you could set your sites on either an HEKse, or HEKv2 with one of the amps you mentioned instead of the Susvara. Just some options.
Have you had the opportunity to compare Vio 550 and Niimbus head-on-head using Susvara?
In terms of technical characteristics, Vio 550 and Niimbus practically do not differ when working with a load of 60 Ohms (the differences are insignificant). How do they compare aurally? In cham, in your opinion, is the clear advantage of Niimbus?
Thanks for the answer.

Aug 18, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #22,162 of 25,919
Feliks Envy Upgraded with Elrog ER300B tubes..Susvara Scales to Olympo...:gs1000smile:

IMG_9297.jpgIMG_9295 2.jpgIMG_9296 2.jpg

Best Regards

Sisco

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #22,163 of 25,919
anyone know what the price of the cfa3 from headlamp will cost
?

site says tbd but was wondering if any inside info here

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #22,164 of 25,919
Have you had the opportunity to compare Vio 550 and Niimbus head-on-head using Susvara?
No I haven't, only speculating from what others I trust have told me about their experience with Niimbus and Susvara. It would be interesting to do. My feeling is it could come down to more the tuning differences between the two amps and not necessarily the output specs. But again, I have not personally had the pleasure of listening to a Niimbus.

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #22,168 of 25,919
anyone know what the price of the cfa3 from headlamp will cost
?

site says tbd but was wondering if any inside info here
I've heard $5K

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #22,169 of 25,919
I've heard $5K
This seems a good move for Head-Amp- given that many of us who don’t have DIY experience/ savvy are aware of how good the CFA3 is with Sus- this will be tempting indeed - looks like the $200 deposit is refundable, maybe there to give them an idea of the number of units to build for a first run?

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #22,170 of 25,919
This seems a good move for Head-Amp- given that many of us who don’t have DIY experience/ savvy are aware of how good the CFA3 is with Sus almost all cans - this will be tempting indeed - looks like the $200 deposit is refundable, maybe there to give them an idea of the number of units to build for a first run?
Fixed that for you. However not all CFA3s sound or perform exactly the same (depending on the implementation). In other words, you should take the headamp version as it's own amp and evaluate it as a separate product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back