HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 19, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #20,568 of 25,968
That Coffee moment again:

___

(Not trying to escalate a situation here, but Im just blown away how Susvara sounds on not even 30% the volume, I hope this will help new Susvara owners, like me in the search of just buying it)
___

Sitting here looking back at when I first starting reading this thread. On the amp-requirements-talk, there was actually ONLY one person who kept emphasizing the "opposite", than everybody here. To the point where I also thought he "was" a troll, I even replied/posted on the thread asking if he was iirc.

He was called troll, he was put down every time he had something else to say, or just critical. . . .(CENSOR! CENSOR! ... we have one that is not in the line, lets report him!)

What he was emphasizing was the chain, is very important, clean power, filtering or whatever fancy name, I think everybody knew what he was talking about.
Fast forward Im sitting here thinking my system almost too overkill, even though Susvara is out-of-this-world on the comfortable volume, which is not even close to 30% volume, and yet it moves me, with its vibe. Deep down-lows, to the point Im re-discovering this headphone.

Im saying the same as @801evan. Clean/filtered power opens up the music, lowers the noise, which means you DON´T need a speaker amp, BECAUSE a good chain decreases the need for amp-power. The product itself should be implemented with good power design or maybe even DIY tweaks.

(I also think even a iFi Diablo or RME ADI-2 could possibly power Susvara if it had a more "expensive" better power implementation, which also means I can not just buy a powersupply and think it will upgrade = to make the point I am trying to make now. Its within the device also. This said Im not saying I would like the Susvara the same way, like on my AGD system, its a different taste/preference)

__

However my system and powert-weaks are.

My power-tweaks outside of my AGDs incredible design is:

Furutech FLUX-50 into main port of iFi Powerstation which feeds:
1. AGD system(DDC, DAC, MCLK, AMP).....DDC connected with Supra 5 meter usb cable to my source/pc which is powered regularly
2. NAS(iFi Elite) and Router/Netgate/Firewall
3. Decent Supra power cables

Source/PC is on another power outlet no filtering Wireworld matrix2:
1. Gaming PC with JCAT USB XE + iFi Elite which feeds the DDC/DI20HE(5m cable)
2. JCAT USB ENHANCER on the USB port right under the Ethernet port, which has BAASKE MI1005 connected with standard CAT7 cables to the
Netgate router/modem/firewall.
3. Chord TT2 + SR USB ACTIVE SE
4. RME ADI-2 DAC FS

___

It amazes me how AGD just cleaned/filtered all the harshness away compared to my dS dacs. Talking about the smalls-in-the-highs. The "distractions" between notes played, silence...which reminds me of quote I never forget, Victor Wooten in a Bass Wokshop video of his, said something in regards of a quote from Debussy, who believed that “music was the silence between the notes.” - Which inspires me to listen to music, the groove, rythm and timing instead of the resolution itself.

___

Short said: All I am saying is I also emphasize power/chain over power/amp. Im no expert, but my experience let me to this logic.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #20,569 of 25,968
May I ask you gents why you had to return your Susvara’s?
My first set messed up. Driver failed. 100% my fault. It involved an AHB2 and ungodly amounts of low end EQ.

That Coffee moment again:

___

(Not trying to escalate a situation here, but Im just blown away how Susvara sounds on not even 30% the volume, I hope this will help new Susvara owners, like me in the search of just buying it)
___

Sitting here looking back at when I first starting reading this thread. On the amp-requirements-talk, there was actually ONLY one person who kept emphasizing the "opposite", than everybody here. To the point where I also thought he "was" a troll, I even replied/posted on the thread asking if he was iirc.

He was called troll, he was put down every time he had something else to say, or just critical. . . .(CENSOR! CENSOR! ... we have one that is not in the line, lets report him!)

What he was emphasizing was the chain, is very important, clean power, filtering or whatever fancy name, I think everybody knew what he was talking about.
Fast forward Im sitting here thinking my system almost too overkill, even though Susvara is out-of-this-world on the comfortable volume, which is not even close to 30% volume, and yet it moves me, with its vibe. Deep down-lows, to the point Im re-discovering this headphone.

Im saying the same as @801evan. Clean/filtered power opens up the music, lowers the noise, which means you DON´T need a speaker amp, BECAUSE a good chain decreases the need for amp-power. The product itself should be implemented with good power design or maybe even DIY tweaks.

(I also think even a iFi Diablo or RME ADI-2 could possibly power Susvara if it had a more "expensive" better power implementation, which also means I can not just buy a powersupply and think it will upgrade = to make the point I am trying to make now. Its within the device also. This said Im not saying I would like the Susvara the same way, like on my AGD system, its a different taste/preference)

__

However my system and powert-weaks are.

My power-tweaks outside of my AGDs incredible design is:

Furutech FLUX-50 into main port of iFi Powerstation which feeds:
1. AGD system(DDC, DAC, MCLK, AMP).....DDC connected with Supra 5 meter usb cable to my source/pc which is powered regularly
2. NAS(iFi Elite) and Router/Netgate/Firewall
3. Decent Supra power cables

Source/PC is on another power outlet no filtering Wireworld matrix2:
1. Gaming PC with JCAT USB XE + iFi Elite which feeds the DDC/

I definitely agree with the notion of clean power. I hear better everything once you get your power in order. That being said, the only way I differ is I believe clean power + and amazing amp with the Susvara is the way to unlock its full potential. I never heard the Susvara sound so good off Envy. Distortion or not it’s revelatory. I had my power in order before it’s addition though.

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #20,570 of 25,968
I've been doing a bit of searching, and have come up (mostly) empty. Are there any good comparisons of the Susvara with the Bakoon 13r, and the Enleum 23r? Interested to understand if the newer amp is better, the same, or worse for the Susvara.

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #20,572 of 25,968
I've been doing a bit of searching, and have come up (mostly) empty. Are there any good comparisons of the Susvara with the Bakoon 13r, and the Enleum 23r? Interested to understand if the newer amp is better, the same, or worse for the Susvara.
You may want to consider the Ferrum OOR / Hpysos using "power amp," mode and bypassing the internal volume POT of the Ferrum OOR. Really makes my Susvara sing. The 13R and 23R are very high priced for what you get. GoldenSound claims the components used don't justify the cost. Just food for thought. But to be more specific to your question the 13r appears to be more resolving than the 23r but I think it really has to do with your overall chain. The only reason the 23r exists is due to the fallout within the company. They are essentially the same device except for a few key components that the NEW company was not allowed to use from the 13r and place in the 23R. Sonically I think they are supposed to be equal.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #20,573 of 25,968
No idea how the previous two answers help answer your question but check the 6moons review I believe they compare the two.

Mar 19, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #20,574 of 25,968
No idea how the previous two answers help answer your question but check the 6moons review I believe they compare the two.
Very good point.
I forgot to mention that I hear many people prefer the 13R over the 23.

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #20,575 of 25,968
You may want to consider the Ferrum OOR / Hpysos using "power amp," mode and bypassing the internal volume POT of the Ferrum OOR. Really makes my Susvara sing. The 13R and 23R are very high priced for what you get. GoldenSound claims the components used don't justify the cost. Just food for thought. But to be more specific to your question the 13r appears to be more resolving than the 23r but I think it really has to do with your overall chain. The only reason the 23r exists is due to the fallout within the company. They are essentially the same device except for a few key components that the NEW company was not allowed to use from the 13r and place in the 23R. Sonically I think they are supposed to be equal.
the 13r is indeed great with the susvara but the thing that makes it suck an incredible product IMHO is its form factor...to be able to provide the power and performance in such a petite body is rather remarkable

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #20,576 of 25,968
I would lean toward the ZÄHL HM1 if you don’t mind waiting on the build time. Otherwise the Holo Audio Bliss would be my choice in that price range.

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #20,577 of 25,968
My Susvara finally arrived. While I still wait for the LTA Z10e, I have tried some of my trusted amps.
Very surprisingly, using the 'high gain' output of the Sony DMP-Z1, the Susvara sings like a songbird.
Listening the Blackpink, DSD256 tracks, and Akina Nakamori. All very fine. Powerful enough.
Can't wait on how a full 12W will do with the Susvara.

So far, these ear-speakers are very smooth indeed. Not as fast as the Stax X9000, but the bass is better. Yes, it is. Feel it in the upper body, especially with wamth in my face.
(and this is on night one)

31676372-E040-487F-9565-9F83FEC9410F_1_102_o.jpeg

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #20,578 of 25,968
My Susvara finally arrived. While I still wait for the LTA Z10e, I have tried some of my trusted amps.
Very surprisingly, using the 'high gain' output of the Sony DMP-Z1, the Susvara sings like a songbird.
Listening the Blackpink, DSD256 tracks, and Akina Nakamori. All very fine. Powerful enough.
Can't wait on how a full 12W will do with the Susvara.

So far, these ear-speakers are very smooth indeed. Not as fast as the Stax X9000, but the bass is better. Yes, it is. Feel it in the upper body, especially with wamth in my face.
(and this is on night one)

I am only saying this because Susvara got a very weak/stretchy headband, and is weighty. If it was easy to change I would probably don´t care....
-I only hang my susvara by the band when in "use" when not its either in box or hanging by the metal

But daamn! thats a sweet cable. DIY?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #20,579 of 25,968
I am only saying this because Susvara got a very weak/stretchy headband, and is weighty. If it was easy to change I would probably don´t care....
-I only hang my susvara by the band when in "use" when not its either in box or hanging by the metal

But daamn! thats a sweet cable. DIY?
lol. Just for the photo! This baby won't be hanging on that Sony MDR-Z1 stand.
That adaptor is pure silver and made for me by Konstantin at Lavricables.

Mar 23, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #20,580 of 25,968
Into my 4th hour listening, now using the balanced cords and battery powered with high gain.
It's plenty power in the bass end. Jazz at the Pawnshop is alive. The Stampenär en jazzklubb of Sweden is alive, with voices and ambience sounds I have not heard before.

Balanced output is noticeably louder than the unbalanced output off the Sony DMP-Z1. Wonder why this is.....

3CA2C577-40ED-405C-8B2D-14298524E0DD_1_102_o.jpeg
9AEEA2FB-F6CB-40B1-AC41-2697822D3863_1_102_o.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back