HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 7, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #20,101 of 25,883
Guess it’s worth a try maybe.

Many folks appreciate these accessories a lot particularly under digital products (DACs and CD players) and tube amps, while others detect no difference at all. If you have some cash to spare and are curious, at least giving these small objects a shot in your setup is not a bad idea I think.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 7, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #20,102 of 25,883
Ditch the EF400 as it's no good with the Susvara and your wasting your time and money trying to drive them with it !

You need the Hifiman EF1000 Amp for the Susvara to sing along with a high quality source input !

Or keep the EF400 to drive other Hifiman headphones and sell your Susvara !
he certainly doesnt NEED a 15k option to drive the susvara...there are numerous excellent high powered options at a fraction of the cost...my CFA3 cost me around 3200 dollars and the bakoon 13r can be had used for 4k or less...the Bliss is I believe 3K and gets high marks..

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #20,103 of 25,883
Ok. Here is an odd question. Ive done everything i can i my chain i believe. But i don’t have any upgraded “feets” on my units. Is that a thing? Are you guys using any ? If so, what kind and what does it do to the sound, if any?
1+ Goldwerger's posts below

It shouldn't make a difference, but it will look cool, and perhaps give you better ventilation if stacked. no harm... :)
I definitely 1+ with the ventilation and aesthetics. I personally like it raised a bit cause it's easier to clean them with the Swiffer duster.

Where isolation underneath - feet, comes, plates, what-have-yous - definitely make a difference:
  • Speakers - absorbing vibration from sound wave in acoustic chamber
  • Vinyl record players - the smallest vibration is amplified to signal

Where it might:
  • Tube amps - it might. In theory the stability of the delicate tube may benefit, perhaps more in directly heated tubes but in all in theory. Debatable. But worthy debate.
Where it won’t afaik:
  • Solid state components
1+ again, I never really heard a difference in solid-state devices.
In theory... could argue EMF from each component but I'll leave that with you, I never heard any EMF from my devices but then again I don't have those big expensive amps/electronics with the exception of my late SMSL M200 adapter was making a VERY annoying high-frequency pitch which pissed me off to no end but removed that.

In my case... the most expensive stuff I have on my desk is my computer which the 3090 will generate a bit of electrical noise on USB > DAC > RCA. My monitor setup which consists of a Samsung Neo G9, an LG 48", and two ultrawide monitors in portrait mode. I have yet to hear anything from these.
I don't have any power conditioners, just 2x APC Surge protectors. I really only hear my dog, footsteps upstairs, and the fans from my computer.

As for tubes, yeah physical vibrations will transfer to the tubes. Keep in mind also that my phone/iPad is near the tubes and they receive WiFi/BT/LTE signals that will create electronic noise but the pads won't help that. If I could repair my LD Mk 8 SE or get another tube amp I personally would put IsoAcoustic pads on them for sure.

Speakers, I don't think I ever had my speaker vibrations transfer over to my DAC/AMPs at all. I personally have the Ultimate Support MS-80 for my speakers for when pumping the volume louder, vibrations won't transfer to my desk. They're ugly as f but work well.

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #20,104 of 25,883
could argue EMF from each component

This raises another issue, whic isn't about vibrations but pure physical isolation.

There is real benefit for creating some distance between components where EMI/RFI can have impact, notable examples:
  • EMI - if you have a powerful power source, it's really best to keep this a few inches away from other components. This can be a very powerful amplifier with a built-in power supply, or an external power supply (for example, my Auris Nirvana headphone amp has an external power supply that's connected to the amp with an umbilical cord; I keep that componet a bit separate from the others to avoid any power pollution).
  • RFI - if you get your cell phone next to your tube amp, it might pick up audible interference (not unlike old CRT TVs picking up noise in the picture when you touched or moved the antenna). This can also happen with proximity to WiFi etc.
One more thing for final hygene is cable management. Best to have very well-shielded cables (both power an interconnects). When they have to come across each other (often inevitable, at least in my setup), best to try to avoid running cables parallel to each other, instead better if they across each other where possible).

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #20,105 of 25,883
Has anyone monitoring this thread tried Susvara with PSAudio Stellar S300 poweramp?- I cannot find any reference to this pairing by searching the thread or elsewhere on the Forum.

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #20,107 of 25,883
Isoaccoustic is an entry level isolation brand that is most budget friendly. I tried their lineup in the beginning of my audiophile journey yet as my friend, who used to run a high end audio club said, it doesn’t have the best isolation technology. In my experience, some of their products could have some positive results for loudspeakers. I don’t think their products would be the most ideal for headphone systems at least the ones I built. Many isolation brands work better in the right loudspeaker systems, a few top notch brands like HRS excell in both headphone and loudspeakers systems.

Tube based components are among the components that would benefit most from good isolation. HRS works real magic with tubes. Different HRS isolation product also sounds a bit different and their new lineup also sounds more neutral than their previous lineup to my ears. I normally end up finding a few isolation solutions for a system I’m working on. While I departed with HRS with more suitable solutions to my systems, I still miss things they do well, especially with some components I no longer keep.

Different components and systems need different isolation solutions and combinations. Wood, bamboo, marbles have very dramatically different sonic effects on isolation, the only way to find out is through abundant trials and errors in your own experimentation or to save money and time to hire someone with real experience to help you build one system.

Even the placement of the layer In a rack matters a lot, different layers will have very different sound. The difference can be huge on high end components from power supply. Master clock, source components, amps and etc. For examples, there is one empty layer in my Adona Reference Rack due to the lack of suitable components to be placed there sonically speaking.

In terms of the feet, it shall not be treated as an isolated link but should work in coordination with other isolation and non isolation links collectively to achieve the ideal results. Plus many high end components have decent enough feet specially designed for that particular unit, therefore there seem to be no legitimate sonic reasons to add third party feet especially ones that are actually inferior and do more harm than good.

PS. In retrospection, I haven’t bought one thing just to look good throughout my audiophile experience. For me, every single part must be based on sound with solid reasons strong enough surviving various comparisons, battles and tests over years. If the value of one product is only looking good, that is sheer snake oil, period. Plus there are not that much ugly looking high end components most being designed by reputable designers and names allocating huge chunk of budget and masterpiece craftsmanship in the most important isolation: chassis.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #20,108 of 25,883
Not everyone has $18k to spend on EF1000 😁
But they want to spend approx. US$4000+ on a uber TOTL headphone and expect it to sound amazing connected to an underpowered and poor quality Amp ! And then there is the poor quality sources people buy and use with the Susvara.
And then such people blame the Susvara for sounding poor !

Instead of people spending large sums of money on a TOTL headphone, they would be much better off spending money on a good to excellent source and amp and respectable set of headphones that matches with the amp and source they have purchased.

Then when they want to upgrade to a TOTL headphone i.e. a Susvara, they should also upgrade their source and Amp first, then but the Susvara or if they can afford it buy it all in one go or at least buy a great Amp with the Susvara and then a higher quality source later !

Feb 8, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #20,109 of 25,883
he certainly doesnt NEED a 15k option to drive the susvara...there are numerous excellent high powered options at a fraction of the cost...my CFA3 cost me around 3200 dollars and the bakoon 13r can be had used for 4k or less...the Bliss is I believe 3K and gets high marks..
Yes, he can also buy one of the amps you have mentioned 'jibrach' (although I haven't heard them myself, I assume they are great due to the many great online reviews for these products).

What a lot of people maybe not realise though is the Hifiman EF1000 is a great tube Pre-Amp, awesome Headphone Amp and a great Speaker Amp all rolled into one product. Therefore I would say it is very good value for the money you spend purchasing one (and even cheaper if you buy the Susvara with it at the same time as a package buy) if you also need a Pre-Amp, Headphone Amp and Speaker Amp.

Feb 8, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #20,110 of 25,883
FWIW my experience with Susvara and a Cyrus 8.2 DAC Amp + Cyrus PSX-R2 Power Supply running directly from speaker taps: Good Synergy and I definitely enjoy it more than Oor/Hypsos since it's smoother and more spacious while it has still all the dynamics. I really can recommend this combination.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #20,111 of 25,883
But they want to spend approx. US$4000+ on a uber TOTL headphone and expect it to sound amazing connected to an underpowered and poor quality Amp ! And then there is the poor quality sources people buy and use with the Susvara.

Instead of people spending large sums of money on a TOTL headphone, they would be much better off spending money on a good to excellent source and amp and respectable set of headphones that matches with the amp and source they have purchased.

Then when they want to upgrade to a TOTL headphone i.e. a Susvara, they should also upgrade their source and Amp first, then but the Susvara or if they can afford it buy it all in one go or at least buy a great Amp with the Susvara and then a higher quality source later !

Don't at all disagree that you should match a good quality system if you're going to spend that kind of money on a headphone, I am an ample believer in that. But you don't need to spend anywhere near $18k for an amp to do that. And you don't "need" the EF1000 to make the Susvara sing. Just about everyone experienced in this thread agrees with this, so to keep directing newcomers in this way is a bit disingenuous and can steer them away from the Susvara entirely when that doesn't have to be the case.

We get it, you like the amp you paid for, that's fine. But that doesn't make it a prerequisite for enjoying the Susvara or getting the best performance (or even close to it) out of it.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #20,112 of 25,883

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #20,113 of 25,883

yes

Yes, he can also buy one of the amps you have mentioned 'jibrach' (although I haven't heard them myself, I assume they are great due to the many great online reviews for these products).

What a lot of people maybe not realise though is the Hifiman EF1000 is a great tube Pre-Amp, awesome Headphone Amp and a great Speaker Amp all rolled into one product. Therefore I would say it is very good value for the money you spend purchasing one (and even cheaper if you buy the Susvara with it at the same time as a package buy) if you also need a Pre-Amp, Headphone Amp and Speaker Amp.

and yes,

BUT……

And let’s not forget….

and before i go let me just add:

Alrighty then…….

now time for a dance

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #20,114 of 25,883
FWIW my experience with Susvara and a Cyrus 8.2 DAC Amp + Cyrus PSX-R2 Power Supply running directly from speaker taps: Good Synergy and I definitely enjoy it more than Oor/Hypsos since it's smoother and more spacious while it has still all the dynamics. I really can recommend this combination.
Wow. Was NOT expecting to hear that.

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #20,115 of 25,883
If you don't own a Susvara yet but want to buy one together with a very good amp (which would not spoil the party for the Susvara), you could first try to evaluate which option might be preferable for you:
1) go with a Stax setup: Stax SR-X9000, Headamp BHSE. Total amount (rough estimate) ca. 13500
2) go with Susvara: Susvara, power amp (e.g. Pass XA25). Total amount (rough estimate) ca. 12500

IMO: option 1 and 2 are soundwise close together. Depending on music or mood, I prefer either 1 or 2
option 2 needs either a separate preamp or a DAC with built in preamp.
What I surely would not do: spending more than ca 12000 on a Susvara setup without having heard an excellent Stax setup, first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back